The Student Room Group

I can't afford to go to university if I declare my mum's partner's income

Hi...
So I'm doing my UCAS application at the minute and student finance is something I've been thinking about a lot. My mum now has a new partner who lives with us and contributes towards the bills on the house but he is not responsible in any way for me or my financial situation... none of his income actually comes into our hours for various reasons and he is still listed on his previous house. The situation is that, if I only declare my mum's income, I'm entitled to the full amount of loan and grant and if I declare my mum and her partner's income I literally get nothing, not even enough to cover the costs of my accommodation. I have a job but my accommodation costs in two weeks what I earn in a month, it literally isn't an option. My mum physically cannot afford to support me in any way through university and my mum's partner would not support me at all financially, even if I asked him. So I literally lie on my ucas application of don't go to university?
Help:frown:
Hi there.

If your mother is not married to, nor lives with her current partner then we do not need to look at his income. If your mother simply puts that she is 'separated' or 'single' whatever her situation may be, then we can look at your mother's income only.

We look at 'household income' so if your mother's income is the only income within your own household then that is all we require.

If he does in fact live with you permanently then we would need to look at this because as mentioned above, we look at the income within the household as a whole.

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest