The Student Room Group

2nd BA

After completing my first BA I realised that the field of study was something I really enjoyed, but the real life work field wasnt something I wanted to be part of. So I am considering a second degree to a different field of study.

Is this possible? What exactly do I need to do so? UCAS, my A levels and thats all? or shall I ask if my degree could be considered?

I am really new to this and currently residing outside UK.

Basically I need a walkthrough for the whole thing.

Thank you friendly mature TSR people! :smile:
Original post by logo15
After completing my first BA I realised that the field of study was something I really enjoyed, but the real life work field wasnt something I wanted to be part of. So I am considering a second degree to a different field of study.

Is this possible? What exactly do I need to do so? UCAS, my A levels and thats all? or shall I ask if my degree could be considered?

I am really new to this and currently residing outside UK.

Basically I need a walkthrough for the whole thing.

Thank you friendly mature TSR people! :smile:

Lots of money
Reply 2
I did a Bsc and then a BA.

I applied through clearing the second time around though (was a very last minute decision to apply!)

The application was still made through UCAS so you need to write a personal statement etc. again, but just list the qualifications you have (including your existing BA).

The application process is the same as it will have been your first time around.

If the areas are relevant in some way to each other, is a Masters a possibility instead?

For example, I did a teaching degree and then went on to do a social work one. At interview they asked if I wanted to do the Masters instead as my existing degree was 'relevant'. I declined because I wouldn't have felt comfortable doing a Masters when social work was something quite new to me. I did wonder afterwards though if I had made the right decision (curiosity rather than regret though).

As the previous poster said, it's a lot of money -if you received support for tuition fees last time, you may not be entitled to them on the new programme.
It would be helpful if you told us what you wanted to study as there are a few exceptions to the ELQ rule, so you might get funding.
Reply 4
Hello guys,

I am of EU nationality, does what is written above about the money apply for Scottish degrees? As far as I know they are free for EU?

Also whats the EQL rule Snufkin?!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by logo15
Hello guys,

I am of EU nationality, does what is written above about the money apply for Scottish degrees? As far as I know they are free for EU?

Also whats the EQL rule Snufkin?!

It means you can't get funding for a qualification if it is of equal or lower status to a qualification you already have. For example, you can't get a loan to do a BA if you already have a BA unless you are studying a degree supported by NHS bursaries, architecture or teacher training. Recently the government has relaxed this rule a little bit, so you can get a loan to study engineering, technology or computer science if it is a part-time course.
Reply 6
Hi there,

I'm also an EU citizen, applying for BA, and I have a issue about the Student Loans. I've started BA in my country, but I never ended it. Also this was in private univeristy. So my concerns are will I be qualified for Loan from SLC, if I get a seat in univeristy?
Reply 7
Original post by nkl_
Hi there,

I'm also an EU citizen, applying for BA, and I have a issue about the Student Loans. I've started BA in my country, but I never ended it. Also this was in private univeristy. So my concerns are will I be qualified for Loan from SLC, if I get a seat in univeristy?

The entitlement calculation is based on previous study. How many years of the Tuition Fee Loan you get, depends how long you studied for your first BA.
Original post by logo15
Hello guys,

Scottish degrees are only free for the first time round, as soon as it is your second degree and/or Master you have to pay. They still tend to be cheaper than the English unis, though.

Original post by nkl_
Hi there,

You have to ask them. Wether you went to private university or not doesn't matter.
Reply 9
Hello,

What about someone that finished a British uni with an ordinary degree (so 160 ECST instead of 180)? Is he/she still unable to start over with the EU benefits in Scotland? I mean, he/she never got a proper BA in Britain and in Scotland this counts as even less, no?
Reply 10
Original post by Grewup
Hello,

What about someone that finished a British uni with an ordinary degree (so 160 ECST instead of 180)? Is he/she still unable to start over with the EU benefits in Scotland? I mean, he/she never got a proper BA in Britain and in Scotland this counts as even less, no?

Original post by Nathanielle
Scottish degrees are only free for the first time round, as soon as it is your second degree and/or Master you have to pay. They still tend to be cheaper than the English unis, though.

You have to ask them. Wether you went to private university or not doesn't matter.

Hello,

Original post by Grewup
Hello,

A degree is still a degree and then they might only cover the ECTS, which are still left to complete the degree. Further information can be found here: http://www.saas.gov.uk/_forms/previous_study.pdf

Thus definitely ask them and post the result, but don't get your hopes up, that they won't consider it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Nathanielle
A degree is still a degree and then they might only cover the ECTS, which are still left to complete the degree. Further information can be found here: http://www.saas.gov.uk/_forms/previous_study.pdf

Thus definitely ask them and post the result, but don't get your hopes up, that they won't consider it.

I found this from the link that you provided. Maybe GrewUp will be interested to do the final 4th (scottish year) to get a ba in the field of studies she started.

Honours year concession
Most students who are on a degree programme will graduate with a 4 year (or 3 year if
they studied in England, Wales or Northern Ireland) honours degree. However, there will
be some instances where you choose to graduate after 3 years with an ordinary degree.
You are still eligible to apply for full support for an honours year providing:
the honours year is in the same subject as the ordinary degree (you can do this at
a different university from where you did your ordinary degree);
you have not already received funding for an honours year.
You do not have to do the honours year immediately after you graduate with an ordinary
degree, you can have a break in study.

I am really interested in Comparative theology and Archeology myself, so I would have a go and see if I get accepted :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending