The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Ask a current student (cornwall campus)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheOboeBatt
Hey :smile: I'm considering applying to Exeter's Penryn campus for Geology. Everything from the course to the accommodation attracts me, except the fact that, unlike other larger universities, the campus doesn't advertise any sort of Music activities. I'm grade 8 oboe and don't want to completely give up music, instead wanting university life to enhance music.

On the Penryn campus' website it does say they have an orchestra, but, unlike other unis, they don't seem to big this up, so I'm wondering if anyone here can say if Penryn does have an orchestra and other activities which are decent?

Thanks

I'm thinking of applying to Geology for 2016 (current y12) here, I also play the oboe! Sorry, random double reed attack there...
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 21
Hello,

A couple of questions, if you don't mind me asking! The campus is shared with Falmouth University do you often interact with their students or is it a bit secluded and you generally 'stay with your own'? The Glasney Student Village and the Sidings are the two main Halls I believe - are these halls just for Exeter University students? Are you in either of those, and if so what do you think?

Final question - can you give any first hand experience of what the sporting opportunities are like? I'm particularly interested in racket sports (e.g. tennis, table tennis, squash etc)...are there good facilities for these?

Thanks for your help :smile:
Original post by TardigradeFan
I'm thinking of applying to Geology for 2016 (current y12) here, I also play the oboe! Sorry, random double reed attack there...

No way! Good to know there are others out there :smile: haha I'm used to random double reed attacks, we're so few and far between that it's expected!
Hi, I've received an offer to study BSc Marine Biology at Penryn and I'm very excited ahah. I've been to an open day before but didn't get the chance to see the Biosciences department and to explore the town.
Penryn seems really quite, which isn't too bad since I like quite, and the more I research the better it seems to get! However I've some questions that hopefully you (or someone you know) know the answers to. Are the labs at Penryn any good? What sort of equipment do they have? do they do DNA mapping there? I know it's a new course but do they have any sort of small aquarium or something? Anything special I should know about?
I'm also thinking about applying for the shared accommodation, but just in case how easy is it to swap between rooms ? also, are there any part-time opportunities either within or outside campus?
Thanks! And i'm sorry for the amount of questions!
Original post by tgwktm
hey everyone

just thought it would be helpful to applicants/future students of exeter univeristy cornwall campus if you could have a place to ask current students some questions about the unversity in cornwall, uni life, what its like to live/study in cornwall etc.
i am a first year BA/BSc geography student so any applicants to that course i can hopefully tell you a bit about it!

are there any nearby cycle/jogging routes? :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by charlottealevel
are there any nearby cycle/jogging routes? :smile:

yeah there are. i'm not sure where cause i don't cycle/run but i know people who go on 4 miles runs in the morning
Original post by 1312JC
Hello,

A couple of questions, if you don't mind me asking! The campus is shared with Falmouth University do you often interact with their students or is it a bit secluded and you generally 'stay with your own'? The Glasney Student Village and the Sidings are the two main Halls I believe - are these halls just for Exeter University students? Are you in either of those, and if so what do you think?

Final question - can you give any first hand experience of what the sporting opportunities are like? I'm particularly interested in racket sports (e.g. tennis, table tennis, squash etc)...are there good facilities for these?

Thanks for your help :smile:

Hi there, another Penryn student here :smile:
The campus is shared, although Falmouth students also have their own campus in Falmouth. The halls are also shared, in my flat there are 3 Exeter inc me and 4 Falmouth :smile: I'm in Glasney View. The flats and lovely and smart, things generally get fixed quickly and the double bed is fab! The Sidings is around a 10/15 min walk away - all uphill to campus with around 150 steps! Although I'm sure you can get a bus.

There are loads of sport societies.If you look on the FXU website, they are all listed on there.
This is going to be very long, so grab a cup of tea and I apologise in advance:smile:

Hi, I'm 16, 17 in like 5 months. I'm currently attending Walsall college (birmingham) doing a level 3 extended diploma in art and design. I'm still in my first year. I've been looking at universities and fell heads over hell In love with exeter. I really want to study the five years liberal arts course; but I don't think I'll stand a chance against other students as I'm doing a Btec course. ATM I'm trying to do a science course alongside my art one( which is full time) and my tutor is to get back to me on that one. I don't know if the university will be looking at my GCSE Grades but they are:
Applied science- A* and B
P.e - A*
Maths-b
Drama-b
English-c (I was one mark off a b😭)
Art-c

Right now my target grade for collee is DDD. Which is equivalent to 3 A's for a levels.

I know my gcse grades are ****( pardon my language) but I only came to live in England 4 years ago (from Jamaica) I had to learn english( I could speak it but not fluently), I had to learn all these other subjects, I struggled real bad; and what made it worst is that I moved school, mid way through year 10. I had to then study different subjects and also catch up with work from year 9.

So my question is, is it even possible for me to get onto this course, at all?! With me doing an art btec course. Has anyone in my position or close enough got into the course?

Thank you for your time, honestly.
I hope to hear a reply soon:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is going to be very long, so grab a cup of tea and I apologise in advance:smile:

Hi, I'm 16, 17 in like 5 months. I'm currently attending Walsall college (birmingham) doing a level 3 extended diploma in art and design. I'm still in my first year. I've been looking at universities and fell heads over hell In love with exeter. I really want to study the five years liberal arts course; but I don't think I'll stand a chance against other students as I'm doing a Btec course. ATM I'm trying to do a science course alongside my art one( which is full time) and my tutor is to get back to me on that one. I don't know if the university will be looking at my GCSE Grades but they are:
P.e - A*
Maths-b
Drama-b
English-c (I was one mark off a b😭)
Art-c

Right now my target grade for collee is DDD. Which is equivalent to 3 A's for a levels.

I know my gcse grades are ****( pardon my language) but I only came to live in England 4 years ago (from Jamaica) I had to learn english( I could speak it but not fluently), I had to learn all these other subjects, I struggled real bad; and what made it worst is that I moved school, mid way through year 10. I had to then study different subjects and also catch up with work from year 9.

So my question is, is it even possible for me to get onto this course, at all?! With me doing an art btec course. Has anyone in my position or close enough got into the course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by daniemorgan

P.e - A*
Maths-b
Drama-b
English-c (I was one mark off a b������)
Art-c

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you email Exeter uni admissions, they will let you know what they think.
Original post by tgwktm
hey everyone

just thought it would be helpful to applicants/future students of exeter univeristy cornwall campus if you could have a place to ask current students some questions about the unversity in cornwall, uni life, what its like to live/study in cornwall etc.
i am a first year BA/BSc geography student so any applicants to that course i can hopefully tell you a bit about it!

Hi,
I plan to firm Exeter University. As such I am now deciding on an appropriate accommodation. I prefer somewhere catered, close to the the university/lecture halls,and preferably new/modern? I do not really fancy old buildings although they're full of character,just personal preference.

After some research,I've come across Holland Hall,which seems new,catered and close to campus.
BUT
I've heard that most rich or snobbish ppl live there? And there have been cases of bullying too. Is this true?

I'm actually a non-white international student,so naturally I am, really really worried about not fitting in or making friends.

Any thoughts?
Hi! I'm also planning on firming exeter for geography too! I looked at Holland hall accommodation, it looks more like a hotel it's so nice, but yeah I heard that it can be snobby too so I'm worried about applying there because I don't want people in other halls thinking I'm stuck up.
Reply 33
i can't really help you on exeter accommodation, i assume that's where holland hall is? i'm only really able to offer advice based on my experience at the cornwall campus
Reply 34
Heyyy im decidíng whether to choose exeter or Manchester as my firm? Im quite an out going person so i thought Manchester better for nightlife and things to do however ive always wanted campus and i love social events like meetups in fields and Stuff but really after a year, isnt a normal day sort if Boring?sort of too chill Everyday?ahhhh id appreciate it if anyone could help me out here so much hahaha and sorry for the más dice paragraph:/
Reply 35
hi,
what sort of AS grades and subjects did geography students do? aslo what did they then get at a alevel and what was their offer? also what are the theatre/ snow sports/ ski societies in cornwall like? thanks
Reply 36
what sort of grades and subjects did geography students do at as level? also, what offers and grades did they achieve at a2? finally, what are the ski/snow sport/ theatre societies like? thanks
Reply 37
hello,
what as level grades and subjects did various people on the geography course do? also what were their offers and final grades at a2? also, what would you suggest thats geography related for personal statement? finally, what are the ski/snowsports and theatre societies like in cornwall? thanks
Original post by tgwktm
hey everyone

HI!

I would like to know more about the accommodations offered at Cornwall :biggrin:
Do I have to place my belongings in storage during summer or Christmas break? If i do roughly how much will it cost?

Also, what are the Banks available around Cornwall campus?
Thanks!!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi guys. Finally found Exeter family!
I'm studying psychology master's here and am doing my research about human resource investigating the talent selecting process. If you are interested in this, I would like to invite you to join my research! It might also be helpful for your future applications for jobs and interviews. All data will be used in dissertation.:smile:
http://survey.ex.ac.uk/start/impression
welcome you to ask me any questions about life in Exeter or anything about psychology studying!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending