The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Ask a current student (cornwall campus)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cheryl_96
HI!

I would like to know more about the accommodations offered at Cornwall :biggrin:
Do I have to place my belongings in storage during summer or Christmas break? If i do roughly how much will it cost?

Also, what are the Banks available around Cornwall campus?
Thanks!!!

Hey, I saw that no one had replied to you, I'm also studying at Penryn.
You don't have to put your stuff into storage during the holidays as we don't have to move out in the holidays.
I know there's a Lloyds, Santander, Halifax, Barclays, Natwest and HSBC in falmouth.
Hope this helped :smile:
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Hi everyone, just have a few questions about the cornwall campus :smile:
Firstly, is it possible to transfer to the main campus in Exeter at all? I mean maybe after your first year for instance?
What kinds of things are there to do there in terms of sports, nights out and so on and is it a pleasant place to live?
Finally, is it easy to get to larger towns like Exeter, London or Bristol?
I got a place through clearing which is why I'm so clueless right now...!
Thanks and sorry for bombarding with questions!
:smile:
Original post by isobellyabrams
Firstly, is it possible to transfer to the main campus in Exeter at all? I mean maybe after your first year for instance?
What kinds of things are there to do there in terms of sports, nights out and so on and is it a pleasant place to live?

Hi! I also got a place through clearing but at the main campus in Exeter. But I was just wondering if you have managed to sort your accommodation out yet? Because every time I try to apply for accommodation, it says my account isn't activated. Would really appreciate it if you could help me out if you've managed to apply for accommodation. Thanks!
Original post by ahovsepian
Hi! I also got a place through clearing but at the main campus in Exeter. But I was just wondering if you have managed to sort your accommodation out yet? Because every time I try to apply for accommodation, it says my account isn't activated. Would really appreciate it if you could help me out if you've managed to apply for accommodation. Thanks!

I havent got to that yet, I'm waiting to hear from the accommodation office if they actually have space...
Reply 44
Do you know anyone who surfs

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by isobellyabrams

Hi,
I know some people on my course tried to transfer to main campus Exeter but they weren't successful, one person did transfer but that was in week 3 and I'm not sure under what circumstances.
There are quite a few sports clubs - surfing, football (women's football I think is being restarted), netball, hockey, sea swimming, volleyball etc
Nightlife - only one nightclub (Club I) but several bars such as mangos, fives, beerwolf ( a bookshop/pub).
Penryn is lovely to live, you walk onto the road just outside Glasney and there are woods there and a stream to explore, then it's a quaint village on the riverside and Falmouth is really nice with lots of good independent shops and restaurants. There are 3 beaches in Falmouth - Gylly (the main beach everyone from uni goes to), Swanpool and Maenporth.
There is the cross country train to get up to London (5 and a half hours) which stops at Exeter (about 2 hours on the train) and there are trains to Bristol and Plymouth but I don't know how long they are.
Which course have you got a place for?
If you have any more questions just ask :smile:
Reply 46
So I have an offer for the Cornwall campus but I am looking to transfer to the main campus as I did better than expected on results day and I now have the grades required for the main campus. I'm just wondering if its possible? Or is it too late as there may be no spaces left?
Original post by IndiR
So I have an offer for the Cornwall campus but I am looking to transfer to the main campus as I did better than expected on results day and I now have the grades required for the main campus. I'm just wondering if its possible? Or is it too late as there may be no spaces left?

You need to ring main campus and ask as none of us can tell you, good luck :smile:
I am currently at a University in central London and really not enjoying the city, I much prefer quieter towns, cornwall is such a lovely place too. I had received an offer from ECC but didn't firm or insure it, but they asked for ABB, I achieved ABC. Do you think I should reapply this year, I think I would be much happier at a campus university like this, but are they likely to give me an offer?
Thanks x
Original post by lizmoo0721
I am currently at a University in central London and really not enjoying the city, I much prefer quieter towns, cornwall is such a lovely place too. I had received an offer from ECC but didn't firm or insure it, but they asked for ABB, I achieved ABC. Do you think I should reapply this year, I think I would be much happier at a campus university like this, but are they likely to give me an offer?
Thanks x

What subject are you looking at? I'd suggest speaking to admissions directly as I don't think any of us can tell you how likely they are to give offers. Have you thought about looking at transferring now? As I know they still allow people to do that in the first few weeks.
Good luck with everything!
Original post by GemmaConlin
What subject are you looking at? I'd suggest speaking to admissions directly as I don't think any of us can tell you how likely they are to give offers. Have you thought about looking at transferring now? As I know they still allow people to do that in the first few weeks.

I am looking for BA Geography or BA Human Sciences, I would like to transfer now but accommodation is highly unlikely. I think a gap year would allow me to do some volunteering, maybe travel and gain some experience.
I have emailed them. Are you currently at the campus, this may sound silly but I'm not into partying and more into low key nights and chilling with people instead. What are the positives and negatives of this campus? :smile:
I am looking for BA Geography or BA Human Sciences, I would like to transfer now but accommodation is highly unlikely. I think a gap year would allow me to do some volunteering, maybe travel and gain some experience.
I have emailed them. Are you currently at the campus, this may sound silly but I'm not into partying and more into low key nights and chilling with people instead. What are the positives and negatives of this campus? :smile:

I just spoke to my friend who does Geography and he asked have you thought about resitting the C during a gap year to make sure you get an offer?
You could always have a look to see if anyone is still renting out rooms off campus if thy do offer you a place this year (halls are quite expensive). But if you want to do a gap year, you should do it and go have fun :smile:
Yeah, I'm currently second year politics here living in a house off campus. I'm the same as you not into partying and I've found lots to do and made friends who are just like me. Such as yesterday evening, instead of going out, my housemate and I had a ping pong tournament for fun. It's just about finding like minded people.
The mainly negative thing is my mind is all the hills everywhere. It is very nice here and I'd suggest having another look round before making a final decision :smile:
I just spoke to my friend who does Geography and he asked have you thought about resitting the C during a gap year to make sure you get an offer?
You could always have a look to see if anyone is still renting out rooms off campus if thy do offer you a place this year (halls are quite expensive). But if you want to do a gap year, you should do it and go have fun :smile:
Yeah, I'm currently second year politics here living in a house off campus. I'm the same as you not into partying and I've found lots to do and made friends who are just like me. Such as yesterday evening, instead of going out, my housemate and I had a ping pong tournament for fun. It's just about finding like minded people.
The mainly negative thing is my mind is all the hills everywhere. It is very nice here and I'd suggest having another look round before making a final decision :smile:

I achieved an A in geography, 2 marks of an A*, I am thinking about resting the C in Biology, I'll see what Exeter say first. I would love to take a gap year, get a job, go travelling for a bit. I would love the hills everywhere and the scenery, better than walking through the worst parts of London hahah! I think I might come to the open day on Saturday :smile: I am just worried about applying with ABC and then not getting an offer. x
I achieved an A in geography, 2 marks of an A*, I am thinking about resting the C in Biology, I'll see what Exeter say first. I would love to take a gap year, get a job, go travelling for a bit. I would love the hills everywhere and the scenery, better than walking through the worst parts of London hahah! I think I might come to the open day on Saturday :smile: I am just worried about applying with ABC and then not getting an offer. x

Wait and see what they say before worrying, hopefully it'll work out for you and you can take the gap year you want too. The scenery is stunning here but the hills are tiring after a while especially in the rain haha! I'm actually missing London quite a bit at the moment, mainly due to efficient transport. You should and hopefully it'll give you a better idea of what it's like here :smile:
university years were best in my life) so many new friends and lots of emotions....remember i was always lack of money, so my advice is to eat in cheap cafes))
Reply 55
Hey, I saw that no one had replied to you, I'm also studying at Penryn.
You don't have to put your stuff into storage during the holidays as we don't have to move out in the holidays.
I know there's a Lloyds, Santander, Halifax, Barclays, Natwest and HSBC in falmouth.
Hope this helped :smile:

Hi,
I know some people on my course tried to transfer to main campus Exeter but they weren't successful, one person did transfer but that was in week 3 and I'm not sure under what circumstances.
There are quite a few sports clubs - surfing, football (women's football I think is being restarted), netball, hockey, sea swimming, volleyball etc
Nightlife - only one nightclub (Club I) but several bars such as mangos, fives, beerwolf ( a bookshop/pub).
Penryn is lovely to live, you walk onto the road just outside Glasney and there are woods there and a stream to explore, then it's a quaint village on the riverside and Falmouth is really nice with lots of good independent shops and restaurants. There are 3 beaches in Falmouth - Gylly (the main beach everyone from uni goes to), Swanpool and Maenporth.
There is the cross country train to get up to London (5 and a half hours) which stops at Exeter (about 2 hours on the train) and there are trains to Bristol and Plymouth but I don't know how long they are.
Which course have you got a place for?
If you have any more questions just ask :smile:

Hello, does the uni offer free courses for students so that they gain an extra certificate to improve employability? I know that Imperial College has something called Horizons which let students learn things like a language or business so they gain more skills, does Exeter have anything like that?Thanks!
Original post by 12284
Hello, does the uni offer free courses for students so that they gain an extra certificate to improve employability? I know that Imperial College has something called Horizons which let students learn things like a language or business so they gain more skills, does Exeter have anything like that?Thanks!

Exeter offer Exeter award which shows your employability, you have to do 35 hours voluntary work, practice CVs and interviews, attending training courses and skills among other things. You can sign up for language classes here, they offer French, German, Spanish, Mandarin and Latin. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 57
Has anyone found that there's kind of a bitterness about from students who didn't get into the main campus and have therefore been forced to go to this campus?
Hello everyone! I've applied to Cornwall campus but there's one thing that is still not clear: is it possible to have much fun there? Are there many societies and which ones are the most popular? I personally can't live without salsa and other Latin dances, does anybody know if it's possible to attend salsa classes or parties in there? Do many international students study there? How do British students consider foreigners? I've read that there's a lot of arrogant people and I'm a little bit anxious about that as an international student..Thanks for your help:h::colondollar:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 59
Original post by jess_12
Has anyone found that there's kind of a bitterness about from students who didn't get into the main campus and have therefore been forced to go to this campus?

Yeh I'm quite bitter about it. I didn't give it much thought when they let me come to Penryn so now I hate it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending