The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Ask a current student (cornwall campus)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
is it possible to do joint honours drama and either chem/biochem/bio???? thankyou xx
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Original post by tgwktm
hey everyone

just thought it would be helpful to applicants/future students of exeter univeristy cornwall campus if you could have a place to ask current students some questions about the unversity in cornwall, uni life, what its like to live/study in cornwall etc.
i am a first year BA/BSc geography student so any applicants to that course i can hopefully tell you a bit about it!

Hi! :smile: I have quite a few questions and was wondering if I could ask them?
Reply 62
Original post by icehockeyolive
Hi! :smile: I have quite a few questions and was wondering if I could ask them?

yeah sure, not an expert in everything but i'll give them a go and see if i can help :smile:
Original post by tgwktm
yeah sure, not an expert in everything but i'll give them a go and see if i can help :smile:

Cool, thanks! :smile: Here it goes...

How selective is Exeter?

What makes it stand out from other schools?

How expensive is living there?

Is transport easy?

Do you know much about the geology program?

What are the lectures like?

Is there anything international students should be aware of?

What is the campus like?

Thanks for the help! Sorry for all the questions :P
Hi, hopefully starting BSC in geology in September. Is there any equipment I should be buying before I start the course?
Original post by Pepper2427
Hi, hopefully starting BSC in geology in September. Is there any equipment I should be buying before I start the course?

On the Open Day they said £200 worth of field equipment would be given to you free.

Assumed you've firmed? What offer did they make if you don't mind me asking? Confident?
Original post by Quick_look_busy
On the Open Day they said £200 worth of field equipment would be given to you free.

Assumed you've firmed? What offer did they make if you don't mind me asking? Confident?

Wow that sounds great. Exeter is my firm choice with an offer of AAB - with a B in geology.

What about you?
Reply 67
dumb question but can you transfer from penryn campus to exeter campus?? (ps not asked by me)
Reply 68
Hi peeps,

So I'm looking to study Animal Behaviourism at the Penryn campus, was just wondering a few things if anyone has any answers:
- Are there any societies in the Penryn campus? a link would be fine just can't find it anywhere
- What's the relationship between Penryn and the other campuses like?
- Are there chances to do X course in Exeter instead of one of the other campuses?
- Any information on accommodation?

Thanks in advance!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 69
Does not taking the maximum amount of modules prevent you from getting a first class degree?
Original post by galino
Hi peeps,

So I'm looking to study Animal Behaviourism at the Penryn campus, was just wondering a few things if anyone has any answers:
- Are there any societies in the Penryn campus? a link would be fine just can't find it anywhere
- What's the relationship between Penryn and the other campuses like?
- Are there chances to do X course in Exeter instead of one of the other campuses?
- Any information on accommodation?

Thanks in advance!

Hi!

The website showing all the socieities is the FXU website. Just google it. It is the student union for Falmouth and Exeter uni at the penryn camus.

Honestly, we don't seem to have much connection with the main campus. Occasionally there'll be careers fairs etc on main campus, where a bus will be put on for us down here in Cornwall.

When I was in first year the accommodation was either the Sidings or Glasney Village. I believe the uni now has more accommodation scattered around Falmouth but I'm not entirely sure. The bedrooms were en suite, with 8 to a flat. There were 6 double bedrooms and one shared bedroom with folding desk beds. However I think that may have changed now with more shared rooms due to a greater number of students coming here. Hope that helps!
Reply 71
Someone said a lot of the teaching in the first year (GeologyBsc) is done by PhD students. Not sure how I feel about this. What's the reality?
Looking to study geography or human sciences
Given the small size of the Cornwall campus compared to lots of universities, you'd hope it would have the advantage of better quality contact time.
What are your smallest class sizes? How regularly do they occur? What other opportunities are there to debate and discuss academic material with tutors and students?

Thank you in advance
Guys I really need some advice, my school have filled out an extenuating circumstances form for me and have sent it to Exeter University, but I'm not sure whether or not they'll take it into consideration? Basically my mum had been diagnosed with stage 3 cancer late march and I haven't been able to revise properly as I've had to look after her and my 3 sisters. I don't know why I feel like they wont...? I've applied for Medical sciences and need AAB, so far exams haven't went great and I'm really scared that I won't be able to get in. I've tried so hard to get into Exeter now I feel like it's just a distant dream. I'm not sure if I should call them personally or?
I much prefer the off campus private accommodation. If i do this, I will still be sharing a kitchen (so that i can meet people etc), but will it effect my social life/meeting people due to the fact I'm not living on campus? Also, how will this effect my freshers experience?
Heya, new to this but I was wondering if you get good A level results for doing medicine in Exeter however did not meet the requirements in GCSE eg. c in english lang, does that mean i cannot do medicine at that uni?

[list]

16 minutes ago

Hi, I'm really interested in going to Penryn, as it looks beautiful and I can imagine it being chilled, 'surfery' and just really cool but I do love clubbing and raves and am worried that if I go there I will be going to pubs or quiz nights and will feel very unhappy. Do you go to house parties often or any underground raves etc? I completely appreciate that some people aren't bothered for clubbing but I'm just wondering whether someone who does love it could still fit in and have a good time, also would you say that you go out regularly and on the whole what kind of people would you say you met? Also, how much did you mix with those from Falmouth uni, did you go on nights out with them? Thank you so much! By the way, I'm looking to study English, English, and History or History. Thank you so much!!!!!

Hi. I may start studying marine biology at Cornwall next year. I know that in Exeter they have a surf clubs, a swimming team, a diving society and other things like that. Are these facilities available in Cornwall too? Also don't you often get bored there? It seemes like a more quiet place.
Original post by tgwktm
hey everyone

just thought it would be helpful to applicants/future students of exeter univeristy cornwall campus if you could have a place to ask current students some questions about the unversity in cornwall, uni life, what its like to live/study in cornwall etc.
i am a first year BA/BSc geography student so any applicants to that course i can hopefully tell you a bit about it!

Hi there! Im a mature student from USA returning to school for graduate degree.Ive been accepted to Exeter for MSc conservation science.
Can you tell me if you know any mature students, where they live, and what the community is like? Its concerning being so remote and I know no one in england except in London which is 7 hrs away.
IS this school worth being so isolated and away from main areas of england, especially for a mature single student who wont be living in a dorm near the 25 yr olds?

Any help is appreciated!
Original post by cherellen
Hi there! Im a mature student from USA returning to school for graduate degree.Ive been accepted to Exeter for MSc conservation science.
Can you tell me if you know any mature students, where they live, and what the community is like? Its concerning being so remote and I know no one in england except in London which is 7 hrs away.
IS this school worth being so isolated and away from main areas of england, especially for a mature single student who wont be living in a dorm near the 25 yr olds?

Any help is appreciated!

Hi. Your concern is natural especially as an International and a mature student. Whilst I cannot help you myself, here are a few ways to reach out to our students in Penryn. A good place to start would be to chat to Penryn postgrad students about their experiences. You can find a link here [url= http://www.exeter.ac.uk/postgraduate/askastudent/?ub_medium=product&ub_source=University%20Popcard&ub_campaign=&ub_content=]http://www.exeter.ac.uk/postgraduate/askastudent/?ub_medium=product&ub_source=University%20Popcard&ub_campaign=&ub_content=
There is a community of postgraduate and mature students at the campus who meet through the Falmouth and Exeter Students' Union who may be able to help https://www.fxu.org.uk/studentvoice/postgraduatestudents/

Generally though, our campus at Penryn is absolutely beautiful and is a dynamic and creative community for environmental sciences expertise and knowledge. Travel times to London can be around the 5 and half hours by train but are only just over the hour by plane from Newquay airport (from £78 return trip). However, Bath, Bristol, Cardiff, Birmingham and Exeter are all cities that are closer and worth a visit if you can spare time away from the lovely Cornish coastline and moors, vibrant events and music scene, and, of course, the pasties and cream teas!
Hope this helps a bit.
Karen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending