The Student Room Group

Why do people who drink coffee automatically think it makes them sophisticated?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
This topic has surpassed my expectations.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I know. I was trying to be funny, a bit too hard maybe.

It's certainly true that coffee buffness reaches absurd proportions - just look at all those daft notices in coffee shops advertising the finest Indonesian beans hand-gathered from rain forests (yes, there are some left!) by peasant children paid the local minimum wage and brought to freshness by reclining them on bamboo mats for 2 weeks with each bean personally licked by a local civet cat. And so forth.

Coffee bores are like any other type of bore really.

You mean digested and pooped out by a local civet cat: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

:biggrin:

:poo:
Reply 42
I drink both tea and coffee of all types, depending on what I am in the mood for. I will drink green tea, black tea, earl grey(with or without milk), tea with milk, herbal tea, espresso, latte, cappuccino, americano, you name it.

I don't think that my choice to enjoy these drinks makes me sophisticated. Perhaps though, there is something to be said for enjoying whatever it is you want, whenever you want it without caring about whether you are being seen to do so. Therein lies the true sophistication :pierre:.

JK. Just drink whatever you want to drink.
People who drink instant coffee :lazy, unoriginal, uninspired, not sophisticated.

People who drink proper coffee (and I mean PROPER coffee) : sophisticated.

I rest my case.

Checkmate.

Game, set and match.

Game over.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So which is more sophisticated - a normal percolator, or one of those dedicated easy-bag pod machines like Senseo or whatever?

And does it matter which coffee shops you frequent? I feel that some brands are definitely more 'there' than others.
Original post by FasterThanFTL
People who drink instant coffee :lazy, unoriginal, uninspired, not sophisticated.

I am both of these things! :zomg:

*explodes*
The purpose of coffee drinking is to get the hamster in my brain back onto the treadmill. Sophistication doesn't come into it.
One of the most overused words has got to be 'automatically'...
Reply 48
Original post by FasterThanFTL

I rest my case.

Checkmate.

Game, set and match.

Game over.

Posted from TSR Mobile

no difference in taste

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol no
I do like a cup of the black stuff whilst I brush my horse, ready for a game of Polo with the chaps, I do.

It's spiffingly good fun, har har haaar!
I agree that people like that are irritating, at the same time, I am a man who used to drink 12-16 cups per day :curious:

I love it so much honestly
Reply 52
(edited 9 years ago)
I have no idea but is daft the way some people drink coffee for this reason, its like the business men who talk loud when the plane is leaving.
I don't think I'm sophisticated for drinking coffee. I don't go to cafés and buy overpriced stuff - I just have cheapo instant (or sometimes filter) at home. I started drinking it as a healthier and cheaper alternative to energy drinks. I've only ever paid for expensive coffee once and that was at London Euston station so it's a choice of hideously overpriced coffee or no coffee.
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
It makes me functional.

Sophistication is just a dream :moon:

That's a lie.

Once you have drunk coffee for some time, there is 0 boost to your system. The only effect it has is get you back where you were before drinking coffee. Just google, many studies on it.

In fact, it's best not to drink coffee and then when you really need, enjoy the boost it can give you.
Original post by yo radical one
I agree that people like that are irritating, at the same time, I am a man who used to drink 12-16 cups per day :curious:

I love it so much honestly

Holy **** that's too much. I have about 1 cup every 5 years xd

Posted from TSR Mobile
Because they are idiotic proles/ petite bourgeoisie that think they are someone.
Reply 58
coffee is unoriginal and mainstream

i prefer this
Reply 59
Green tea chai lattes ftw!

Quick Reply

Latest