The Student Room Group

Why do people who drink coffee automatically think it makes them sophisticated?

Scroll to see replies

Interesting question..
I don't even like the smell of coffee.
I like the smell but the taste, urgh!!

Good question though, why is coffee more sophisticated than say tea?

But then you get people that drink herbal/green tea and they can be quite pretentious so and so's.
Reply 3
Because we're cut from a different cloth than tea drinkers.
Reply 4
I've noticed that the majority of coffee and/or tea drinkers tend to be pricks.
Original post by Sixty7

If by that you mean nearly everyone in the country, then yes, I agree.
Isn't tea more sophisticated than coffee now? The coolometer is shifting the other way. Especially to things like green tea and the ever-poshular Earl Grey.
Reply 7
Are we talking about hipster coffee culture? The cafe is very important in the life of a hipster. Myself, I get the attraction to a nice cup of coffee but I don't get the need to fetishize it. It's bloody coffee! Coffee snobs are just as bad as 'real ale' snobs. I also can't stand pretentious baristas.

Joke: What sort of coffee do hipsters order? You probably wouldn't have heard of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Isn't tea more sophisticated than coffee now? The coolometer is shifting the other way. Especially to things like green tea and the ever-poshular Earl Grey.

Meh... Patrick Stewart was on that for years :wink:

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1416995495.248880.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
It makes me functional.

Sophistication is just a dream :moon:
Reply 10
Probably because of their general occupations.
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
It makes me functional.

Sophistication is just a dream :moon:

Ditto :frown:
Original post by Sixty7

yeah! and don't get me started on those glug pint after pint of water... too good for squash are they?
Reply 13
what about those who drink coffee from Starbucks with alot of cream and syrups

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Viva Emptiness
If by that you mean nearly everyone in the country, then yes, I agree.

I know more people that don't drink tea and coffee than do drink it.
Reply 15
I'd challenge the premise that they do think it automatically makes them sophisticated. But supposing for some of them that it does, I'd say maybe because coffee can be appreciated in the same way that other 'complex' drinks can be appreciated, such as wine or whisky.

In other words, they invent stuff they think they can taste and use it to justify buying something expensive that tastes appalling.
Original post by miser
I'd challenge the premise that they do think it automatically makes them sophisticated. But supposing for some of them that it does, I'd say maybe because coffee can be appreciated in the same way that other 'complex' drinks can be appreciated, such as wine or whisky.

In other words, they invent stuff they think they can taste and use it to justify buying something expensive that tastes appalling.

It depends. For example, if you only ever went to Starbucks for coffee, then yes, you would assume all coffee has no taste.
Reply 17
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It depends. For example, if you only ever went to Starbucks for coffee, then yes, you would assume all coffee has no taste.

I didn't mean to suggest it has no taste - I do think it has taste. Actually I think that is the problem.
Original post by datpiff
Are we talking about hipster coffee culture? The cafe is very important in the life of a hipster. Myself, I get the attraction to a nice cup of coffee but I don't get the need to fetishize it. It's bloody coffee! Coffee snobs are just as bad as 'real ale' snobs. I also can't stand pretentious baristas.

Joke: What sort of coffee do hipsters order? You probably wouldn't have heard of it.

The hipster vegan guy I like won't drink any coffee that isn't Fairtrade. :lol:
Original post by miser
I didn't mean to suggest it has no taste - I do think it has taste. Actually I think that is the problem.

I know. I was trying to be funny, a bit too hard maybe.

It's certainly true that coffee buffness reaches absurd proportions - just look at all those daft notices in coffee shops advertising the finest Indonesian beans hand-gathered from rain forests (yes, there are some left!) by peasant children paid the local minimum wage and brought to freshness by reclining them on bamboo mats for 2 weeks with each bean personally licked by a local civet cat. And so forth.

Coffee bores are like any other type of bore really.

Quick Reply

Latest