The Student Room Group

Doing 5 A levels in second year? Yes? No?

The fifth subject is not really a full a level- AS Biology. So it would be
AS Biology, Maths, Physics, English and Chemistry. I'm deciding whether or not I should do this in my second year. I know this seems overall too ambitious but I love biology and wish I took it, all the content is just interesting and it appeals to me more than anything.
If you think you can do it, go for it!
What;s the worst that can happen? rather fail one and pass 4 then never try it.

You never know you may do great in all of them!

Good luck:biggrin:
I wouldn't recommend it
Reply 3
Original post by Cherry82
The fifth subject is not really a full a level- AS Biology. So it would be
AS Biology, Maths, Physics, English and Chemistry. I'm deciding whether or not I should do this in my second year. I know this seems overall too ambitious but I love biology and wish I took it, all the content is just interesting and it appeals to me more than anything.

Assuming from your A levels you want to do a science course at uni, think about cutting out English (unis could care less about this for science courses). So I bet you could do Biology (AS), Chemistry,Physics & Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by JessicaLucy09
If you think you can do it, go for it!
What;s the worst that can happen? rather fail one and pass 4 then never try it.

You never know you may do great in all of them!

Good luck:biggrin:

Thanks, I just might do it only after hearing other experiences...it seems quite daring :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Safiya122
I wouldn't recommend it

How come? Would it be too hard or too much stress?
Reply 6
Original post by MrJAKEE
Assuming from your A levels you want to do a science course at uni, think about cutting out English (unis could care less about this for science courses). So I bet you could do Biology (AS), Chemistry,Physics & Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, not really. I honestly don't know anymore. I have so much interests that I need to seriously sit down and get my thinkings together. I enjoy english literature more than anything along with the science. However I also really want to get a qualification in biology in case I may want to do a field that requires some kind of knowledge from it.
I think it might be a bit too much work. I was doing further maths last year and the work load for that was just simply massive and it sorta affect my AS results in my other subjects. My advice is if you want to do it just don't get it aggregated until you get your individual modules mark and see if the grade is desirable, if it is then go for it and aggregate it, if its not you still have other options the years after or you can just leave it alone . :smile:
Reply 8
No, not really. I honestly don't know anymore. I have so much interests that I need to seriously sit down and get my thinkings together. I enjoy english literature more than anything along with the science. However I also really want to get a qualification in biology in case I may want to do a field that requires some kind of knowledge from it.

I think you really need to work out what you want to do then...

Posted from TSR Mobile
As you said, have a think about what you want to study at University, which one you want to study at and what grades/subjects they require.

I did 5 sets of exams last year (A2 Maths, Physics and Chemistry and AS/A2 Further Maths) and it was pretty intense, but manageable. It's not easy, and it requires a lot of dilligence.

If you're doing the same exam board for Physics and Chemistry this'll give you a slight advantage when it comes to doing an AS in Biology with the same exam board as the expectations are similar in some senses.

It's good that you're planning ahead, and you'll probably make your choice on results day as to what you're going to study. Just work hard this year and if you do fairly well it'll give you the confidence to be more ambitious and do some research to make sure that you make the right decision.
If you enjoy all your subjects then could you try it and potentially drop one if it's not working out? Personally, I didn't find taking 5 A-levels difficult... though I must say that I hated biology (and psychology) by the end of it :tongue:
How come? Would it be too hard or too much stress?

Both
I did 4 'hard'/'academic'/etc subjects at AS and found them quite nice, easily knew I'd be getting 4As. I decided to drop one of the less relevant ones, and pick up another AS level to be self taught as well as an EPQ. That means this year I'm doing 3 A2s and 3 ASs.

I'd advise you not to do it. It's a lot of work. The content itself is one thing, but motivation is another. I thought I was motivated, but now that I've got my offers, I find that there was no point in me taking the 2 extra AS levels. I'm stretched too thin and I'm not gonna get any net benefits. My grades will suffer this summer, of that I'm already certain.

It's likely that you're only interested in specific parts of biology - in which case doing an entire AS level is probably much more than you'd like. Consider also that all of it will have to be self-taught apart from practical sessions you'll sit with Year 12s. 4 A2s is already more than what most students take, don't push yourself more than necessary.
I did six A Levels and massively enjoyed the variety, without ever feeling overloaded. It's not for everybody (I'd say the one thing that made it doable was innately being able to keep motivated and interested), but it didn't impact on my friendships, my wider life, or my future prospects.

Quick Reply

Latest