The Student Room Group

Do unis look down on you for having spent an extra year doing A Levels?

Hello! ^^

So I'm supposed to be applying to uni this year but some stuff has cropped up and I'm little unsure?

So brief background explanation

Last year for AS I took Drama and Theatre Studies, Government and Politics and English Language. I didn't work as hard as I should have done I got Drama-D, Politics-U and Eng-C. My college let me take Drama and English to A2 and now I'm taking Film Studies AS. This was fine because the college I go to have a link with the university I'm applying to so they would probably have taken me.

But the problem is that because of last year my grades my predicted grades are pretty low, I'm predicted a C for Drama and a B for English and Film Studies.

To up my predicted grades I've agreed to resit the Drama theory exam in which I got a U last year. Which, to be honest, doesn't make sense because I got a B in the performance.

My tutor has now suggested that I delay my application and we'd talk about it on Thursday.

But now I'm wondering if it's worth not applying this year and instead do another year at college where I can take Film Studies to A2 and take an intensive course in another subject.

That way I'll have English Language, Drama, Film Studies and another one at A Level and then I can apply.

Also the course I really really wanted to do wanted ABB which I was never going to get so if I up my grades I'll be able to apply for that course.

So idk?

Is it worth the risk?
If there even is a risk?
no, not at all. Shows determination!
Reply 2
Original post by JessicaLucy09
no, not at all. Shows determination!

Really? I just remember that at my old school it was super-emphasised that if you didn't do your A Levels in 2 years then you'd never get into uni.
My English teacher in Year 11 even told that going to college limits my chances which tbh is complete bull but like that bit about 2 years stuck with me.
Is it definitely not true?
Don't worry about it, if you achieve better grades what's the harm?

Your more likely to do better in life if than if you keep your other grades which you aren't too pleased with.

Good luck x
Two years of A-levels definitely looks better than over three years, but it doesn't make a difference to most universities (except for KCL, St. Andrews, and that kind of calibre).
Original post by chimchim
Hello! ^^

So I'm supposed to be applying to uni this year but some stuff has cropped up and I'm little unsure?

Last year for AS I took Drama and Theatre Studies, Government and Politics and English Language. I didn't work as hard as I should have done I got Drama-D, Politics-U and Eng-C. My college let me take Drama and English to A2 and now I'm taking Film Studies AS. This was fine because the college I go to have a link with the university I'm applying to so they would probably have taken me.

But the problem is that because of last year my grades my predicted grades are pretty low, I'm predicted a C for Drama and a B for English and Film Studies.

To up my predicted grades I've agreed to resit the Drama theory exam in which I got a U last year. Which, to be honest, doesn't make sense because I got a B in the performance.

My tutor has now suggested that I delay my application and we'd talk about it on Thursday.

But now I'm wondering if it's worth not applying this year and instead do another year at college where I can take Film Studies to A2 and take an intensive course in another subject.

That way I'll have English Language, Drama, Film Studies and another one at A Level and then I can apply.

Also the course I really really wanted to do wanted ABB which I was never going to get so if I up my grades I'll be able to apply for that course.

So idk?

Is it worth the risk?
If there even is a risk?

Hi!

Its not exactly the same situation but I retook my first year of Alevels meaning I also spent an extra year in college.

Now im in my final year and have applied for unis and there has not been a single issue regarding me being in sixth form for 3 years.

It makes more sense for you to do an extra year if it is going to get you into a better university because it will be worth it :smile:
Hello! ^^

So idk?

Is it worth the risk?
If there even is a risk?

I resat lower sixth. My original AS grades were BCDE and after moving schools and resitting I managed to get AABB. I recently had an interview at Oxford Brookes and I was very upfront about resitting (as my tutor had mentioned it briefly in my reference). The admissions officer commented that OB appreciate the effort and commitment restting demonstrates towards academic studies, and she assured me it was not something that would be a detriment to my application.

I hope this helps and reassures you

Well done for thinking through all your options - it can be so scary to decide to spend longer doing alevels but it will be so worth it if thats what you decide to do x
Reply 7
Hey! I've just sent off my UCAS and was in the same situation as you, I dropped a subject and picked up Psychology so am now in my 3rd year of A-levels. I was really worried about it but it's turned out to be completely fine! I went to visit Edinburgh uni and found out I couldn't apply there because I would take 3 years and it was such a competitive small course, so after that I emailed all my other uni choices, explaining the circumstances and why i'd swapped subjects and every single uni has been okay with it, so i'm sure you'll be ansolutely fine. :smile: it's definitely worth emailing either admissions or the course department just to make sure, to save you applying for ones that don't accept it. Taking an extra year has been helpful and i'm glad it turned out that way! Good luck!

Ps I have applied to KCL and other unis like York and Nottingham who have all been fine with it, so hopefully this reassures you :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by lucyva7
Hey! I've just sent off my UCAS and was in the same situation as you, I dropped a subject and picked up Psychology so am now in my 3rd year of A-levels. I was really worried about it but it's turned out to be completely fine! I went to visit Edinburgh uni and found out I couldn't apply there because I would take 3 years and it was such a competitive small course, so after that I emailed all my other uni choices, explaining the circumstances and why i'd swapped subjects and every single uni has been okay with it, so i'm sure you'll be ansolutely fine. :smile: it's definitely worth emailing either admissions or the course department just to make sure, to save you applying for ones that don't accept it. Taking an extra year has been helpful and i'm glad it turned out that way! Good luck!

Ps I have applied to KCL and other unis like York and Nottingham who have all been fine with it, so hopefully this reassures you :smile:

I did the same as you! I picked up Psychology as an extra AS as well as resitting another AS subject. Where did you apply in the end? And for what subject?

I've applied for Psychology to Nottingham, Leicester, Hull, Loughborough and Edinburgh.
Even though I know Edinburgh don't like 3 years, I took the chance because mine was due to health reasons. They do consider each application individually and it's my first choice and dream university so I decided it was worth it to try.

To OP:
Some universities do look down on people who do 3-year A levels. Oxbridge, Edinburgh, St Andrews and Birmingham are among some universities who have said they dislike them unless under special circumstances. You can google it to find out which ones dislike it, but it can also differ between different courses so it's worth emailing to find out anyway.
I emailed all the admissions tutors before applying and was assured that it wouldn't affect my application. I have offers from 3 of them already - it doesn't seem to have made a difference!

Good luck with your application :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by izzi23
I did the same as you! I picked up Psychology as an extra AS as well as resitting another AS subject. Where did you apply in the end? And for what subject?

I've applied for Psychology to Nottingham, Leicester, Hull, Loughborough and Edinburgh.
Even though I know Edinburgh don't like 3 years, I took the chance because mine was due to health reasons. They do consider each application individually and it's my first choice and dream university so I decided it was worth it to try.

To OP:
Some universities do look down on people who do 3-year A levels. Oxbridge, Edinburgh, St Andrews and Birmingham are among some universities who have said they dislike them unless under special circumstances. You can google it to find out which ones dislike it, but it can also differ between different courses so it's worth emailing to find out anyway.
I emailed all the admissions tutors before applying and was assured that it wouldn't affect my application. I have offers from 3 of them already - it doesn't seem to have made a difference!

Good luck with your application :smile:

Good luck for Edinburgh! :smile: I've applied for Adult Nursing at UEA, Kings, York, Nottingham and Southampton! I was gutted about Edinburgh because it's such a lovely city but the nursing course there is much smaller than other unis and much more competitive sadly!
Reply 10
Original post by lucyva7
Good luck for Edinburgh! :smile: I've applied for Adult Nursing at UEA, Kings, York, Nottingham and Southampton! I was gutted about Edinburgh because it's such a lovely city but the nursing course there is much smaller than other unis and much more competitive sadly!

Oooh good luck!

Yes, Edinburgh's amazing. I'm pretty sure that I've thrown away one of my choices by applying there, but in my opinion it's worth it!
Hello! ^^

So idk?

Is it worth the risk?
If there even is a risk?

Not from my experience. I took BTEC level 3 Extended Diploma for IT over 3 years, not the standard 2 years due to medical complications as did another uni lad from my college. Neither Uni of the West of England nor Gloucestershire Uni commented about it. Actually taking it over 3 years not two, sometimes makes it easier when you do get into the course that you want to do.

Having started my first year at Frenchay Campus in UWE doing BSC Hons Digital Media this September, it's been a bit of a surprise to find that I know more about most areas in the modules than 85 percent of the entire group does.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending