The Student Room Group

Would You Go To University Early?

Would you go at 13 (like someone like Ruth Lawrence), or around 15 or 16, provided that you were adequately qualified and got into a good uni? Or 17 (the age we often go at in Scotland?) :smile:

Scroll to see replies

If I were smart enough, yes.
Reply 2
Original post by keromedic
If I were smart enough, yes.

So you wouldn't worry about "missing out" due to your age? :smile:
Original post by Morrisseya
So you wouldn't worry about "missing out" due to your age? :smile:

Not really. In Trinidad, I was a year ahead. Took me a year to do a transfer so went back to normal though!

But I was used to being in classes with people a few years older than me, so that wasn't bothersome!
Why not if I get the chance. ????
Would you go at 13 (like someone like Ruth Lawrence), or around 15 or 16, provided that you were adequately qualified and got into a good uni? Or 17 (the age we often go at in Scotland?) :smile:

I wouldn't
Yeah. Always an opportunity later on to go on a three-year holiday.
Reply 7
Original post by Skill Twix
I wouldn't

Why not?

rockrunride
x

Wouldn't you be worried about missing out due to being younger? :smile:

Nope, no point in rushing it in my opinion... Some people aren't even ready to go to uni at 18 - I know I definitely wasn't!
Having been through school in England and then starting uni in Scotland, the amount of people who go on about how they needed two less years of school to get to the same position is ridiculous - it's not a race!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why not?

If I were 13, no. My idea of going out and getting bulldozed every night hadn't developed by that age.

17 maybe yes. But even then it'd only have been a year.
Original post by Butterfly9595
Nope, no point in rushing it in my opinion... Some people aren't even ready to go to uni at 18 - I know I definitely wasn't!
Having been through school in England and then starting uni in Scotland, the amount of people who go on about how they needed two less years of school to get to the same position is ridiculous - it's not a race!

Thanks :smile: What age did you feel ready to go at, and what did you do before you went?
Why not?

I would love to enjoy my childhood(rather than stressing life)
Reply 12
Nope. Freshers week would be horrible!

If it was free, yes. The main difference between uni education and non-uni education is the incredible freedom you have at uni to study what you want.
Original post by Skill Twix
I would love to enjoy my childhood(rather than stressing life)

So you wouldn't even go at 16 or 17?
So you wouldn't even go at 16 or 17?

17 or 18 I'd say.I'd be more mature and would be more responsible(by then).
Thanks :smile: What age did you feel ready to go at, and what did you do before you went?

I went this year at 19, so not much older, but I felt more ready :smile: I took a Gap Year beforehand and went and worked as an au pair in Germany and Spain, as well as in a German primary school for five weeks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd condense years 7, 8 and 9 into one and go 2 years early. I'm impatient :tongue:
No. I liked the structure of pre-university education so wasn't in any hurry to get to university level.

Quick Reply

Latest