The Student Room Group

I graduated, however I am stuck in retail, anyone in this position ?

I graduated with a good degree , from a prestigious university. However I am stuck in retail, where I am constantly undermined by by colleagues and manager. Retail is not really my thing, i've done it for 'survival' money, yet everyday the staff make jibes at me - and its not even friendly banter !! They often let me know I am inept, and make their tasteless jokes, its quite depressing really. I don't really thing I am that bad anyway, I've had good response and feedback from customers - its sad really. I've tried applying for graduate jobs , but as you know it's very competitive and it takes time.

so if anyone has been in this position, is it best to leave my current job, or leave, in both situation I will still be searching for a graduate job that would repay for all the hard work done to attain my degree.
You've obviously done well for yourself in terms of education and you don't deserve that kind of crap from your fellow workers, report them.
Reply 2
Original post by Safiya122
You've obviously done well for yourself in terms of education and you don't deserve that kind of crap from your fellow workers, report them.

It's not just the co-workers, it's the managers as well. Once I asked my manager to speak about the end of my probation period, and the possibility of me signing a permanent contract, he didn't acknowledge that at all - however a staff member who started after me, has already been made permanent. Quite deplorable , really.
Reply 3
What's your degree and result?
I am in a similar situation. I graduated in 2011, and am still stuck in retail. I had a terrible first few months - staff and management didn't like me, my probation got extended, but ultimately I got a permanent job and got promoted a year later. I would advise you to carry on. Forget everyone else, and think about the money. It's better to be employed than unemployed. I am struggling to find work with my degree, but I'd rather experience than no experience.
Reply 5
Get a job in a different county, country or continent :smile:
Yeah I'm unemployed and I am struggling to get any grad job despite going to a prestigious university. Just take whatever comes your way. Experience is valued more than anything.
No point quitting until you have something else (unless money isn't an issue for some reason). Do the harass you because you are a graduate, or because they don't like you?

What was your degree in? What is your ideal career, or is it just 'any graduate job'?
Reply 8
Original post by tonystark
I graduated with a good degree , from a prestigious university. However I am stuck in retail, where I am constantly undermined by by colleagues and manager. Retail is not really my thing, i've done it for 'survival' money, yet everyday the staff make jibes at me - and its not even friendly banter !! They often let me know I am inept, and make their tasteless jokes, its quite depressing really. I don't really thing I am that bad anyway, I've had good response and feedback from customers - its sad really. I've tried applying for graduate jobs , but as you know it's very competitive and it takes time.

so if anyone has been in this position, is it best to leave my current job, or leave, in both situation I will still be searching for a graduate job that would repay for all the hard work done to attain my degree.

Yes kind off.. In this situation only difference is I left with a foundation degree unstead of a full BA as I had to leave due to family problems.. never the less I studied the sane subject for 5-6 years and worked hard, the students that did top up to BA though are not doing any better than me atall.. just hang in there I've gone back to studying a different subject (not at uni though).. I'm probably wasting my time but I have to better my chances of getting out of crappy retail.if you ever need anyone to talk to feel free to get my kik ID as I can relate to your situation a lot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tonystark

I can definitely relate to this. After graduation I started working at a travel agents, and being the only one with a degree, the others made comments about how they had the same job/pay as me without having to go to uni for it, basically implying I had wasted three years :rolleyes: What also didn't help was that I've always been more of an academic person rather than a practical one, and totally suck at waitressing and "low-skilled" type jobs.

Anyway, a couple of months later I got offered a graduate level job in my field with better pay. So my advice would be to keep things in perspective, remind yourself it's only temporary, and although after a long day's work the last thing you want to do is write a cover letter, don't give up looking for other opportunities.
Im on a gap year working in retail and oh how they slave drive you all the other workers say the same and since im new its worse with me.

we have a few graduates here in a similar situation so youre not on youre own.

Quick Reply