The Student Room Group

What is more important for attraction: looks or personality?

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/the-science-of-attraction-how-the-pill-is-changing-who-women-want-79290/

There are a bunch of articles flying around at the moment claiming that the contraceptive pill drastically changes who women are attracted to. Personally I think it is complete rubbish as surely personality comes into play? Or does it?

What do you find more attractive: looks or personality?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Need a mixture of both. She can be the nicest person ever, but if she looks like a yeti then I'm not feeling it, and vice versa.
Reply 2
Looks for initial attraction, but then personality becomes more important.
Reply 3
Hmm, honestly appearance is what I notice first but if they are horrible people then I'm not attracted at all. But sometimes I don't notice people and once I get to know them there's a chance I could be attracted to them.
Due to the halo effect, looks and personality are synonymous. We assume that people are as they look.

A good looking person will be perceived to have a good personality, and an ugly person the opposite. This becomes a self fulfilling prophecy, as society forces people to behave as they are expected to behave according to how they look.

Imagine if David Beckham wolf whistled at a woman on the street. He would be seen as brave, sexually courageous, and manly.

Now imagine if Steve Buscemi did the same thing. He would be called dangerous, perverted, sex obsessed and all kinds of negative adjectives.

How you look determines what personality others will allow you to have.

Thus looks and personality are one and the same.
Original post by Arkasia
Need a mixture of both. She can be the nicest person ever, but if she looks like a yeti then I'm not feeling it, and vice versa.

If you like someone's personality then the way they look physically changes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Yeah dude
If you like someone's personality then the way they look physically changes

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not that much.
Original post by Arkasia
Not that much.

Well maybe not that much, but it happened to me, and I was a freakin douchebag jock in school :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
While I can accept a large diversity of looks, I'm a bit more selective with the personality. Someone on this site said it really, really well: I should be able to respect the person and not be -disgusted- repelled by how they are and think. It's really not much, but it is hella hard to find x3

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
A mixture of both is great but ultimately personality and wanting the same in life as you top trumps looks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
We are naturally attracted to looks it's what we see first that attracts us but what keeps or doesn't keep you being with someome is their personality if you aren't attracted to their look even remotely then their personality shall never be of any importance to you
Reply 11
Personality
Personality OP. Everytime. All the time.
Oh I don't know. I think there must be something else going on, since personalities and appearance can often remain very constant whilst feelings towards the person can change drastically.

Perhaps I'm just looking for a scapegoat?
Original post by Queen Cersei
http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/the-science-of-attraction-how-the-pill-is-changing-who-women-want-79290/

There are a bunch of articles flying around at the moment claiming that the contraceptive pill drastically changes who women are attracted to. Personally I think it is complete rubbish as surely personality comes into play? Or does it?

What do you find more attractive: looks or personality?

Surely that isn't contradictory, attraction is part looks, part personality, so affecting how women feel about looks will have some impact on their attraction.

Attraction is definitely primarily about looks. Love is more personality based.
Original post by quads1992
Imagine if David Beckham wolf whistled at a woman on the street. He would be seen as brave, sexually courageous, and manly.

Now imagine if Steve Buscemi did the same thing. He would be called dangerous, perverted, sex obsessed and all kinds of negative adjectives.

:rofl2:
tbh attraction BUT

she can be hot but if he has an annoying voice omg its such a turn off, I knew someone who was so hot but their voice just killed me :/

+ would never date someone serious who had an awful personality, and not exactly wanting a supermodel just average attraction who with a bit of work looks stunning on occasions
but like, if someone *cough* was actually really ugly + overweight would they totally never have a shot with anyone? ...im asking for a friend
I honestly think personality is more important overall but I have to at least find them physically attractive as well (like 6/10+)
Original post by quads1992

To be fair in that scenario, David Beckham is a solid 9/10 manly man, and Steve Buscemi is a creepy little knobgoblin.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending