The Student Room Group

Student nurses driving?

I'm currently doing interviews for adult nursing at university, and had my first one today! However they brought up driving and I haven't learnt how to drive and the 3rd year nurse seemed to think I should learn to drive or doing nursing would be a really tricky task (getting to placements etc)!

Is driving and having a car essential or not? Any student nurse's help or advice would be appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
I have heard that if you want to be in the emergencies, you have to know driving...
Original post by indiejade101
I'm currently doing interviews for adult nursing at university, and had my first one today! However they brought up driving and I haven't learnt how to drive and the 3rd year nurse seemed to think I should learn to drive or doing nursing would be a really tricky task (getting to placements etc)!

Is driving and having a car essential or not? Any student nurse's help or advice would be appreciated :smile:

There are plenty of people who don't drive, or who are able to but don't have access to a car.
It's not everything being able to drive. There will be people that can't due to health conditions etc and they will still get to placement. As long as you can then you will be fine. But don't use not having a car as an excuse and try to always change if your placements are hard to get to. You literally have no excuse as you are meant to know what you have signed up for when you apply for nursing. A few people in my year complained and they were told basically not anyone's problem but theirs unless they had extenuating circumstances.
But anyway!
I wouldn't worry as there is taxis buses trains and even the possibility of car sharing with someone else.
Best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by deviant182
There are plenty of people who don't drive, or who are able to but don't have access to a car.
It's not everything being able to drive. There will be people that can't due to health conditions etc and they will still get to placement. As long as you can then you will be fine. But don't use not having a car as an excuse and try to always change if your placements are hard to get to. You literally have no excuse as you are meant to know what you have signed up for when you apply for nursing. A few people in my year complained and they were told basically not anyone's problem but theirs unless they had extenuating circumstances.
But anyway!
I wouldn't worry as there is taxis buses trains and even the possibility of car sharing with someone else.
Best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you that's really helpful! Most people I know who have gone to uni haven't needed to really drive but think my course might be a little different! Thank you x x

It would certainly make life easier if you can drive and have access to a car but it's not essential, especially if you study in a large city with a half decent public transport network.

Original post by a9493r
I have heard that if you want to be in the emergencies, you have to know driving...

Why would this be the case?

I'm a 1st year student (Mental Health) and I don't drive. I have to admit it's a huge pain not being able to drive, luckily I have a local 1st placement in the community so the bus will be fine for now. But for my later placements I'll have to do shift work when public transport will be harder to access. I'm learning how to drive so I hope I will be by at least my 2nd year.

Of course, my university placement area covers two quite rural counties so I imagine it's easier in a city.
Reply 6
Original post by moonkatt
It would certainly make life easier if you can drive and have access to a car but it's not essential, especially if you study in a large city with a half decent public transport network.

Okay thanks :-) yeah I can imagine it would be easier for somebody in a big city with good bus routes!
Reply 7
Original post by ScottMcCall
I'm a 1st year student (Mental Health) and I don't drive. I have to admit it's a huge pain not being able to drive, luckily I have a local 1st placement in the community so the bus will be fine for now. But for my later placements I'll have to do shift work when public transport will be harder to access. I'm learning how to drive so I hope I will be by at least my 2nd year.

Of course, my university placement area covers two quite rural counties so I imagine it's easier in a city.

Ah that's lucky, where do you go? And are you finding it affordable to learn with a studen budget? Booked my theory today but actual lessons are pretty expensive!
Ah that's lucky, where do you go? And are you finding it affordable to learn with a studen budget? Booked my theory today but actual lessons are pretty expensive!

I go to Worcester. Lessons are a lot of money, they take up a large chunk of my loan/bursary. I don't have a whole lot of spare money really, but I get the minimum bursary so I'm lucky to not have to pay for rent and food as I'm living with my parents so it's just affordable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending