The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Worcester College (Oxford) Students and Applicants

Anyone know anything about the accommodation at Worcester for First Years? Apparently most of them stay in the 'Goldfish Bowl' but I can't work out what this officially known as, looking at the college map.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Gus06
Anyone know anything about the accommodation at Worcester for First Years? Apparently most of them stay in the 'Goldfish Bowl' but I can't work out what this officially known as, looking at the college map.

Think the buildings are officially the Wolfson and Casson buildings - they're in the southeast corner of the college where Worcester Street and Hythe Bridge Street meet.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2
RichE
Think the buildings are officially the Wolfson and Casson buildings - they're in the southeast corner of the college where Worcester Street and Hythe Bridge Street meet.

I'll take Rich's word on the name for them - staircases 17-20 are the puppies you're thinking of. Quite a few 1st years end up in pump quad as well and a few on main quad. Staircase 24 also used to house about 20, but seeing as that's being rebuilt at the moment I'm not sure where they'll be putting those new 1st years.
is the goldfish bowl the modern-looking bit in the pond?
Reply 4
physicsgirlie
is the goldfish bowl the modern-looking bit in the pond?

think you're thinking of the Sainsbury Building (and please don't call it the pond! :s-smilie: )
I was wondering this too...

I stayed on Staircase 24 ("the ghetto" :cool:) for interviews and it was pretty horrible... what's the rest of the accommodation like?
Reply 6
dinkymints
I was wondering this too...

I stayed on Staircase 24 ("the ghetto" :cool:) for interviews and it was pretty horrible... what's the rest of the accommodation like?

S/c 24 is no more - it will be replaced with a shiney new building opening *I think* in October this year.

The new(ish) building on the lake is the Sainsbury Building and that usually has 2nd years in it. Most of the accomodation is pretty decent although 1st years always get the worst rooms....
davey_boy
S/c 24 is no more - it will be replaced with a shiney new building opening *I think* in October this year.

The new(ish) building on the lake is the Sainsbury Building and that usually has 2nd years in it. Most of the accomodation is pretty decent although 1st years always get the worst rooms....

I know, thank god...

Any info on 1st year accommodation? Kitchenettes? Fridges? HEATING?! :P

Thanks!
The only 1st year accommodation with kitchens are the Mitchell Building and Worcester House; SC24, the pump/main quad and the goldfish bowl have none. I'm fairly sure every room has a mini fridge in it. And yes, there is heating!
1st years next year are getting pretty much the same rooms as they have this year. Goldfish bowl, pump quad, main quad. staircase 24 is getting lived in till March and then it is getting pimped. Not getting knocked down coz its actually listed!!

Sainsbury Building is going to 3rd years next year alas! But 2nd years are getting the new Ruskin Lane building which will be pretty nice!
Reply 10
As no one has opened a Worcester College thread yet I wondered if this thread (which seems relevent...) could be renamed and moved to Oxford Colleges. We seem to have some helpful current students who could continue to give advice!
Reply 11
Below are a series of links to useful info on WORCESTER COLLEGE, OXFORD including the college's own links, general links on TSR and recent threads concerning the college.

General admissions enquiries to the college should be sent to the college's admissions office at [email protected] - the admissions tutor is Dr Jane Gover and the admissions secretary is Alison Attwell.

Write to this address for a college prospectus - there is also an alternative college prospectus.

Useful Links
College Website
History of the College
Oxford Admissions
Undergraduate Handbooks
Alternative Prospectus

TSR Links
Current Students and Info thread
Oxford TSR Wiki
Applying to Oxbridge
Choosing a college
Oxbridge Interviews

Current Students
SsEe - Maths
davey boy - Earth Sciences (Grad)
DrunkHamster - Maths & Phil
Woostarite - Computer Science

Recent Threads
Worcester Accommodation
Worcester College
Worcester- made the right college choice?
Why is WORCESTER better than Magdalen?
Worcester College and a prospective student

Some aerial photos of Worcester
Reply 12
C'mon Worcester - there must be some prospective students out there and I know there some helpful current ones 'cos they've been good re accommodation questions in an earlier thread. Are you all working too hard?? Worcester is the only college with NO posts. Somebody start something!
ok then: some questions!

what's the food honestly like?
is the jcr nice?
are there loads of sporty types?
and are you allowed to feed the ducks? (its very important to me.)
Reply 14
physicsgirlie
ok then: some questions!

what's the food honestly like?

Very good, honestly, and the college has won prizes on this in the student newspapers recently! Dining is pretty popular.

is the jcr nice?

Not great (if you mean the room) - this isn't a strength of the college, but then I'm not convinced a JCR makes a college.

Great (if you mean the undergrads) - I reckon Worcester is one of the friendliest colleges around. I realise most students think that of their own college, but this has been pointed out to me about Worcester by many people not here.

are there loads of sporty types?

Not particluarly types, nor cliques. More people are involved in sports I think because the grounds are on the doorstep, so why not? But it's not like the bar is full of particular crowds.

and are you allowed to feed the ducks? (its very important to me.)

Hell yes!
Score!!

how often is formal dinner? and do you have dinners that you can invite people to?

edit: and another thing - when i cam for interview i couldnt stay for long cos i had to catch my train (worcester was my allocated college so i only had 1 interview). would i be able to come and look around a bit more sometime?
also whats the work ethic like? cus i didnt really look into the college much before i applied, i just thought it looked awesome and heard food was good :biggrin: also, dnt know whether anyone can help, bt what are the tutors at worcester like for geology?
Reply 17
physicsgirlie
Score!!

how often is formal dinner? and do you have dinners that you can invite people to?

edit: and another thing - when i cam for interview i couldnt stay for long cos i had to catch my train (worcester was my allocated college so i only had 1 interview). would i be able to come and look around a bit more sometime?

Formal dinner is most nights - think every night except Saturday - but there is an "informal hall" as well and much of the college has kitchen facilities to provide for itself. Weds and Thurs are pretty popular.

You can invite guests most nights and there are guest dinners and also parent nights designed for inviting others in.

On the visiting front, you're best writing to the admissions secretary, maybe ccing the physics tutor. It shouldn't be hard to arrange a visit, including a chance to meet with current students, especially if the place wasn't your first choice college.
Reply 18
*Hobophobic*
also whats the work ethic like? cus i didnt really look into the college much before i applied, i just thought it looked awesome and heard food was good :biggrin: also, dnt know whether anyone can help, bt what are the tutors at worcester like for geology?

The work ethic is fairly sound I think - neither too intense nor too lax. It's a pretty well known college for Earth Sciences and Don Fraser/Mike Searle are both pretty relaxed individuals whilst still very much respected academics.
Reply 19
RichE
The work ethic is fairly sound I think - neither too intense nor too lax. It's a pretty well known college for Earth Sciences and Don Fraser/Mike Searle are both pretty relaxed individuals whilst still very much respected academics.

And the *legendary* Worcester Geology curry is the longest running subject curry in the college....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending