The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Is kent safe for muslim students?

I've heared crazy story's about muslim girls (guys too) being harassing in halls by other students is this true?

I have Kent as my first choice and wanted to move there from london but after hearing these things I was unsure.

can anyone shine some light on this, I really want to go to Kent canterbury to study

Scroll to see replies

If that was the case, then hopefully something should have been done about it by now so that's not the case anymore
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 2
Medway is safe. I'm not too sure about Canterbury but there are hardly any Muslims there so this might be true unfortunately.
You should apply elsewhere imo
Original post by Badshah
Medway is safe. I'm not too sure about Canterbury but there are hardly any Muslims there so this might be true unfortunately.

Aaa ok , so if there were muslims then it would have been safe but since there are not its unsafe.
Naah dude, you're gonna die init ._.
Kent is quite racist apparently
Reply 7
Original post by hassassin04
Aaa ok , so if there were muslims then it would have been safe but since there are not its unsafe.

You don't get it. Canterbury to me seems like a predominantly white area so it's a bit obvious that such areas are likely to be more racist than the more diverse areas.
Reply 8
Original post by Professor Purple
You should apply elsewhere imo

Why?
Original post by Badshah
Why?

Isnt that multicultural I think
Original post by Badshah
You don't get it. Canterbury to me seems like a predominantly white area so it's a bit obvious that such areas are likely to be more racist than the more diverse areas.

Obvious that white people are more likely to be racist? Not so obvious to me.
Reply 11
Isnt that multicultural I think

The campus that I go to is quite multicultural. Even Canterbury is multicultural, just not as much as Medway.
Reply 12

I wasn't even saying that. :facepalm:

..slave trade....:getmecoat:
Really? I'd never heard of this :O!
I've lived in Medway for 8 years and although there are far less muslims than London (where I'm living now) - I've never heard of any racism or seen anything. My family is muslim and so are a lot of my friends and no issues ever.

I don't know about Canterbury but I always thought of Kent as really safe and nice! Although Medway like all other places does have some dodgy places and dodgy people. But I've always felt safe living there :biggrin:
Reply 15
I am also worried that there wont be many muslims at kent. When they say "less muslims than london" do you mean on a significant scale? Say there are 300 muslims per sq/km in London. Is Kent like 1 muslim per sq/km?

I tried googling like halal meat, i couldn't even find a butchers...
I don't go to Kent uni but live in Canterbury. Whilst there aren't really that many Muslims compared to other places, there is a small community of us that are all really close and friendly with each other. The Mosque is also on the same road as the uni.

I personally (or any of the Muslims, including students at the uni I know) have never had any trouble with any sort of harassment, nor have we experienced any form of racism in the 8ish years where we've lived here.

Original post by Lulu24

I tried googling like halal meat, i couldn't even find a butchers...

There is a halal butchers in Canterbury I think, and you can also get halal meat in Asda. There are so a number of halal restaurants here too. Every Friday after Friday prayer too, I believe there's a place where they serve halal food on the uni campus too (but I've never been myself and am not sure if it's there just on Friday).

Don't know much about Medway or Tonbridge though, but I imagine it'd be safe there too for Muslims.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by usycool1
I don't go to Kent uni but live in Canterbury. Whilst there aren't really that many Muslims compared to other places, there is a small community of us that are all really close and friendly with each other. The Mosque is also on the same road as the uni.

I personally (or any of the Muslims, including students at the uni I know) have never had any trouble with any sort of harassment, nor have we experienced any form of racism in the 8ish years where we've lived here.

There is a halal butchers in Canterbury I think, and you can also get halal meat in Asda. There are so a number of halal restaurants here too. Every Friday after Friday prayer too, I believe there's a place where they serve halal food on the uni campus too (but I've never been myself and am not sure if it's there just on Friday).

Don't know much about Medway or Tonbridge though, but I imagine it'd be safe there too for Muslims.

Oh ok, this is really helpful :smile:

I really would love to go to kent because i think it's an amazing uni. When i'm going for the applicant day i think i'll need to take a deeper look into the city and life there though.

As a revert, living in the town i live in, there are NO muslims whatsoever. Well that's a lie, there are muslims, but there are so little muslims my age and who dont have kids, so even at friday prayer you get 2 sisters and a billion brothers. Wouldn't have a problem with this if i could befriend the brothers but i don't see that being halal any time soon lol :smile: But yeah..That's why this is such a paramount thing for me so i will definitely look into it when i come :smile: thanks a lot
I'm sorry but anyone who says Canterbury isn't safe clearly hasn't lived in Canterbury or even visits frequently.

As a student of Kent, I can tell you any race and diversity are heavily welcome and if not, the majority on campus. I have many Muslim friends who love it here, so whoever tells you otherwise is incompetent.
Reply 19
..slave trade....:getmecoat:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery A lot of other people did slavery before, and some still do today, so I can't find the humor in that joke.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending