The Student Room Group

How hard is it to get 4A* in A-levels?

I'm starting to look at what A-Levels I should take and I really wanted to take:
1. Psychology
2. Physics
3. Chemistry
4. Geography
(btw I'm planning on dropping Physics after AS)

But like, I'm really scared because everyone is telling me how A levels are a big jump from GCSEs and I feel that if I'm struggling through GCSEs (I'm currently getting B's) then A levels will be much much harder :frown:

I want to get at least all A's in Alevels but is it hard?

Scroll to see replies

I don't believe the jump to AS from GCSE is that big - the jump from AS to A2 is far greater in my opinion. While GCSE's are somewhat of an indicator of how you might do at A level, it's very possible for people to make a big jump, ability wise over the course of a year. You would need to put a tonne of work in to get A's, particularly in some of the subjects you want to do, but it is possible for you to get the grades you're looking for.
I dont want to scare you but the jump is big. I got A*s and A's at GCSE for all 12 of my subjects. Last year, in year 12, I worked my butt off and came out with BCDD! Awful considering I was predicted A's. I did Chemistry, Geography, Psychology and Biology (so 3 out of your 4 subjects). Im really working super hard this year to pull my grades off.

My friend got straight A*s at GCSE in 12 subjects, yet for AS she got ACCD!! She did Bio, Chem, Maths and Geography!
SIXTH FORM IS HARD, I WARN YOU.
its pretty hard
not because the content is difficult
but because it's a whole new approach to learning and exam techniques
i feel like even though i understood all the content
throughout my AS year i was walking around completely blind as to how different A levels are from GCSE, you have a lot more technique to figure out

Until i faced my abysmal results at the end of last year, i didn't get it, but i do now, i basically realised you need to revise from the beginning of the year (i realised this since GCSE, but i REALLY realised it this year), you need to attempt all exam questions under the sun, you need to correct your answers till you're sure you understand why, look into the dark art of figuring out what exactly a question is asking for, be succinct in your answers yet give sufficient detail, read all examiners reports to find out where students go wrong, with essays look at how you're supposed to structure them, the level of detail for different objectives, with chemistry i remember there was some really annoying topics which i went over so many times yet still i was really poor at them, therefore i'd suggest you ask different teachers for help for the same problem, but this is sometimes difficult, because even when you understand something in class, you only realise till the exam that you didn't get it at all

i don't know what more to say, its too much
It's hard, I only know one person who got A*A*A*A* and he was that genius kid that everyone has one of in school. And he still had to work his ass off! I did Physics and I went from 3 marks off an A* at GCSE to a U at AS. You have to be willing to put A LOT of effort into it, its not like GCSE's where you can kinda get away with not revising too much on some subjects, if you don't do plenty of revision in A level, you will fail.
Original post by starmilk
I'm starting to look at what A-Levels I should take and I really wanted to take:
1. Psychology
2. Physics
3. Chemistry
4. Geography

But like, I'm really scared because everyone is telling me how A levels are a big jump from GCSEs and I feel that if I'm struggling through GCSEs (I'm currently getting B's) then A levels will be much much harder :frown:

I'm doing AS' in French, Human Biology and Psychology at the moment. Reading the above posts about how people went from really high to really low GCSE --> A-Level has annoyed me a little. This can really put the both of us off.

I would really like to get at least A*AA by the end of the two years.

"Last year 26.6% of pupils achieved A or A* grades" across the UK in A-Levels. (Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-23695270) This may be a bit of motivation for you. I won't lie, it will be challenging to do so well. But, again, I won't lie to you, it isn't impossible. The people who obtain such grades aren't 'geniuses'. This may be a joke but you must understand that it is possible. Generally, the harder you work, the better you'll do. "You reap what you sow". Clearly in some cases this will be different, i.e. if you have a month out of education for personal reasons and try your absolute best when you come back, you may not do as well as you could have if this didn't happen. So, I won't say that the "work more, score higher" rule is 100% absolute. But if you work as efficiently as you can and take suitable advice on board, you could achieve your goals.

One thing I will say, though, is don't make the process exhaustive. Don't start revising 5 hours per day from day 1. Because, if you do this and end up with A*A*A*A* and someone else goes about it in a more relaxed manner and achieves A*AA and you end up working in the same place, you may feel like a fool for, I suppose, wasting those years of your life. That advice is quite personal.

In terms of studying, the most important thing about exams at A-Level is technique. You will get bored of hearing this, as I am already, but it's true. The thing about GCSE's is, predominantly, you can score greatly by just learning the content (which isn't as much as at A-Level, understandably). However, at A-Level, technique means a lot. You need to do past papers and utilise mark schemes and examiners' notes as much as possible. Obviously, don't excuse the content, you need to know this to the full extent and more to achieve your goals. Reading outside of the specification (which you should print) won't do you any harm, especially for the subject(s) which you are going to consider taking further (if you wish to). I think you will know personally if you are working hard enough. Throughout both years, keep a record of your grades. Find out where you need to improve. Is it revision technique? If it isn't working, trying a different one until you find the one(s) which work(s) best for you. Is it motivation? Ask family, friends and even staff to try and keep you motivated. Set goals and treat yourself at the end of the week. Do whatever it takes. If you feel as though you can't cope then just keep telling yourself you can and thinking about the future. But, the main thing to think about is enjoyment. Don't work your ass off because you want to see the letter 'a' capitalised with a floating asterisk next to it on a piece of paper, do it because you want to succeed and you want to get a good job and earn a good amount of money which you can then use to enjoy your life to your heart's content after education.

I may have gone a bit over-board there but all of it should be useful. I hope it helped. :smile: Good luck with your GCSE exams.
(edited 9 years ago)
The reason people have put about going from high GCSE results to low A level results is because it does happen a considerable amount of times.
You also need to try not push yourself too much, otherwise you might crash and burn, I've done it, trust me, not fun.
Reply 8
Nah AS levels are not that much of a difference from GCSE really. Anyone who says it's the worst gap imaginable or whatever just didn't have enough personal responsibility to work hard and get the grades. I will say this though, revise smartly rather than just for long periods of time - makes a lot of difference.

Also, A2 gap from AS is a lot more intense and challenging, but also academically stimulating if you're willing to put the effort in

Edit: A*s in physics and chemistry without maths might be difficult, and psychology I've heard is also quite difficult to get an a*. Geography shouldn't be a problem though

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by inthechaos
It's hard, I only know one person who got A*A*A*A* and he was that genius kid that everyone has one of in school. And he still had to work his ass off! I did Physics and I went from 3 marks off an A* at GCSE to a U at AS. You have to be willing to put A LOT of effort into it, its not like GCSE's where you can kinda get away with not revising too much on some subjects, if you don't do plenty of revision in A level, you will fail.

This has basically mirrored my AS experience for the past couple of months. We've sat 4 Physics AS tests so far and I've gotten a U in all of them. ALL OF THEM. This is bearing in mind that our school (and I think this applies to most subjects) has this guideline where if you got below 50%, you are given a grade U. Especially ironic since it's unarguably much tougher than GCSEs and the fact that getting just below 50% on GCSE Physics Higher Tier papers can net you a B grade...
If you put in work from the beginning of the year, and do a lot of practice exams (the technique is often the hardest part) then its not too difficult. I think many people go from high GCSEs to low AS grades because most people dont realise how much effort is needed from the very start. Plus, you go from 10 subjects to 4 so its a lot easier to focus your study on that. It is still hard, however, I agree that the jump from AS to A2 is a lot bigger than from GCSE to AS - the major difference is the techniques rather than difficulty of content. Also Alevels are such a large increase in independent study - so you need to be committed to gain high grades, but its totally possible!
I think I must be the only person who found the GCSE to AS jump harder than AS to A2.... ok, maybe I'm the odd one out.
Original post by JustBeing
its pretty hard
not because the content is difficult
but because it's a whole new approach to learning and exam techniques
i feel like even though i understood all the content
throughout my AS year i was walking around completely blind as to how different A levels are from GCSE, you have a lot more technique to figure out

Until i faced my abysmal results at the end of last year, i didn't get it, but i do now, i basically realised you need to revise from the beginning of the year (i realised this since GCSE, but i REALLY realised it this year), you need to attempt all exam questions under the sun, you need to correct your answers till you're sure you understand why, look into the dark art of figuring out what exactly a question is asking for, be succinct in your answers yet give sufficient detail, read all examiners reports to find out where students go wrong, with essays look at how you're supposed to structure them, the level of detail for different objectives, with chemistry i remember there was some really annoying topics which i went over so many times yet still i was really poor at them, therefore i'd suggest you ask different teachers for help for the same problem, but this is sometimes difficult, because even when you understand something in class, you only realise till the exam that you didn't get it at all

i don't know what more to say, its too much

This is very useful...
can one revise for A Levels during year 10, at the age of 14?
What topics were included in chemistry, by the way?
I would love the whole list if you can, if not, it'll be fine.
I would quite like to work at A Level standard, I mean, I love studying...
I have also grasped the fact that the courses in A Levels are rather rigorous and laborious, but I'm willing and determined, ready to persevere for A Levels.
For chemistry would it be: (carboxylic compounds), organic synthesis, enthalpy (vaporization included), (chemical equations!), hydrocarbons, halogens, doping (electrochemical), ionizing radiation etc...?
I know there is a great chance of failure in A Levels, no matter the amount of revision, as exam technique is imperative for academic success, right?
Original post by Dylann
Nah AS levels are not that much of a difference from GCSE really. Anyone who says it's the worst gap imaginable or whatever just didn't have enough personal responsibility to work hard and get the grades.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Sort of agree with this and sort of not.

It's not the worst gap imaginable, but if you already do something like triple science (which I didn't do) you'll be accustomed to the workload so it really depends on your work ethic. My work ethic was bad and is still bad - but I have been improving.

But there is a difference. You are lying when you say there is not really any difference and I speak nothing but the truth.

Unless you're one of those guys who spend their entire day revising during GCSE revision eurghhh

It's only been since around the turn of this week where I've really been catching on with workload and it's getting better :smile:

The keys to A-level are organisation and natural ability. If you're gonna go for A*s in rigorous subjects, you need both keys. There's no one way or the other.

Good luck.
If you're getting Bs in your GCSEs, then you're gonna have to do a lot of work to get A*s in A levels...
In summary: It is possible for you to increase your grades. Although not too common, you can do it providing you are willing to put the effort in. Also, just to clarify, the majority of people I know that went from really high GCSE's to lower AS results is because they felt they could just walk it, and became arrogant and complaisant, hence their failure.
Got AAABBBBC at GCSE and A*A*A at A levels. Make of that as you will
To be fair.. I wouldn't be put off how steep the jump is from GCE to AS/A2.

If you're willing to put in the effort then you'll be fine. Most people make major adjustments on their study habits and methods at AS/A2 anyway.

With STEM related courses you want to try looking at all available resources.. Whether it be books videos or whatever.

If you have a library close by go there on a daily basis.. Preferably Evening.. Take the course related text books with you and just study it out. You'll get so much more done when you're in a quiet area and it'll stop you from procrastinating.

I would personally recommend Mathematics to you though.. Especially considering you're doing Physics.. But that depends on your interests really and what you want to do at university

For some motivation some people leave A2 with A*-A grades because they put in the effort.. Despite being an average of a B-C grade student.

Just keep telling yourself YOU WANT THOSE RESULTS! :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by starmilk
1. Psychology
2. Physics
3. Chemistry
4. Geography

Apparently all course are changing to the traditional one A-level after 2 years no as or a2 so factor that in also.
What degree do you want to do at uni? If you're doing physics, it's a bit weird that you're not doing maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest