The Student Room Group

Car insurance: pink licence vs green (provisional) licence

So I was insured on a car as a learner because I had a provisonal licence, I recently passed and got a pink licence.
Will car insurance (as a second driver) be cheaper now that I have an actual licence compared to when I was insured with a provisional licence?

Thanks
If the provisional license insurance was in your own name, then your insurance with a full license should be cheaper (but perhaps not by much). Big factors at this point include, who else you have as named drivers (parents help), the type of car you are trying to insure and whether or not you get a black box fitted.
Original post by __fn
So I was insured on a car as a learner because I had a provisonal licence, I recently passed and got a pink licence.
Will car insurance (as a second driver) be cheaper now that I have an actual licence compared to when I was insured with a provisional licence?

Thanks

I doubt it.

Now's the time when your most likely to drive like an idiot and have a crash.

Consider signing up for one of those insurance policies that puts. Black box in the car to monitor your driving habits.
Original post by __fn

Thanks

Usually more expensive to be honest
Moved to Motoring. :h:
Reply 5
Typically, insurance tends to increase after you have passed your test. Some insurers keep the original quoted price for the remainder of the insurance period, but expect an increase in your next quote.

People who have passed their test are more likely to crash than those that haven't, because they are no longer driving under instruction from an experienced individual.

Drive safe, don't become a statistic! Every year counts now, and once you've got 2+ years of incident free driving, you should start to notice a discount in your premiums.

~Matt
Reply 6
I was insured on my own car as a provisional licence holder. When I passed, my insurance went up by £400, so you can expect to pay quite a bit more once you've passed your test.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Thank you so much for the help everyone.
I am over 21 will that make a difference to my insurance?
Also, one of my parents is the first driver on the car (driving for over 20 years).
Reply 8
The "first/main driver" theory is invalid, and has been for a while now. Insurance companies have a system whereby the quote is based on the overall risk (so it will typically be lower with your parents on the policy, but whether main or named drivers shouldn't matter) they have been doing this to combat fronting, to mixed success.

Being 21 means that your insurance would be marginally cheaper than it was when you were 17-20, and more expensive than when you will be 25. 25 is the magic number for insurance, it'll drop like hell when combined with the No Claims Discount that you obtain getting there.

For your reference, my insurance over the last few years has been:

September 2008, Age 19 (when I passed my test), 1994 Ford Fiesta 1.1 - £1000 (No NCB)
September 2009, Age 20, 2000 Hyundai Accent 1.3 - £1000 (1 Year NCB)
August 2010, Age 21, 2007 Proton Satria Neo 1.6 - £1000 (No NCB)
August 2011, Age 22, 2007 Proton Satria Neo 1.6 - £1000 (1 year NCB)
August 2012, Age 23, 2007 Proton Satria Neo 1.6 - £1000 (2 year NCB)
August 2013, Age 24, 2007 Proton Satria Neo 1.6 - £900 (3 years NCB)
August 2014, Age 25, 2007 Proton Satria Neo 1.6 £500 (4 years NCB)
Original post by __fn
Thank you so much for the help everyone.
I am over 21 will that make a difference to my insurance?
Also, one of my parents is the first driver on the car (driving for over 20 years).

They'll take numerous factors into account.

The older you are the less likely you at to crash but you're still a novice driver so likely to crash.

So it'll be a case of you'll be paying more than a 21 year old who passed at 18, but more than a newly qualified 18 year old.

I got caught out another way. I had a large insurance premium when I took my first policy out at 25. The reason was if been driving for 7 years on my dads insurance and that wasn't factored in.

Sadly its a case of take it on the chin.

The only other advice if recommend is keep shopping around. Renewing insurance with your existing policy holder isn't the cheapest method. Shop around each and every year.
Nope it goes up. Provisional you're in the car with an experienced driver, when you pass your test you can be alone, or with others who have no experience at all, higher risk of an accident.

I passed my test on wednesday. Before, on a provisional, my insurance was £654 (with multi car, it would have been £850 without.) On wednesday, I had to pay an additional £450 for insurance on a pink license, making it around £1100 in total (again with multi car, without I got a quote from the same company, admiral, of £1700)

EDIT: I'm 19, my provisional insurance started when I was 18

Quick Reply

Latest