The Student Room Group

How has this not received more media coverage?

Scroll to see replies

That is awful. And obviously the media are out to show the police as decent people.

What?

One side of this story has put forward their opinions.

Never underestimate the amount of pump that pushed out about coppers.

I'll wait until the court decides until I pass judgement.
Reply 3

Does the media really need to show this sort of thing? We know this sort of thing happens, putting it on TV is hardly any more appropriate, surely.
Original post by Davalla
Does the media really need to show this sort of thing? We know this sort of thing happens, putting it on TV is hardly any more appropriate, surely.

No. It raises important awareness about how individuals with mental disabilities may suffer and be discriminated against.
Reply 5
Original post by Davalla

You could say that about any news story which is remotely upsetting or distressing, if you can't face reality then don't read the news. And besides, the Daily Mail didn't show any videos at all so I don't know why you're complaining?
Because Bob Geldof.
Reply 7
Original post by Davalla

The media shouldn't report on unprovoked police brutality and racism?

Okay.
I doubt the punch was "a racist attack", it was probably just them thinking their disgusting actions were funny.
Reply 9
Original post by MatureStudent36
What?

One side of this story has put forward their opinions.

Never underestimate the amount of pump that pushed out about coppers.

I'll wait until the court decides until I pass judgement.

You do realise the case is in court, right? The article is reporting evidence that has been put forward in a court of law, it's not a propaganda exercise.

Very very few police officers involved in allegations of violence make it to court. This is one of them so there must be some pretty strong evidence, yet the first thing you do is call it into question and mock those giving evidence.
Reply 10
Original post by Skip_Snip
I doubt the punch was "a racist attack", it was probably just them thinking their disgusting actions were funny.

It was alleged that one of the officers called the victim a "****ing Paki" before attacking him. That sounds pretty racist to me.
Original post by #Ridwan
The media shouldn't report on unprovoked police brutality and racism?

Okay.

Original post by Evening
You could say that about any news story which is remotely upsetting or distressing, if you can't face reality then don't read the news. And besides, the Daily Mail didn't show any videos at all so I don't know why you're complaining?

Original post by TolerantBeing
No. It raises important awareness about how individuals with mental disabilities may suffer and be discriminated against.

The media should cover news for the benefit of the whole target population, focusing on the negatives is only going to scare the public rather than encourage anything better. This sort of brutality happens wether it is covered by the news or not. The same could be said for sex offenders; there are many convictions- but should they all be mentioned in the news?

I'm probably phrasing this badly, but the point is this; it's easy to look at the news and conclude that the world is a 'bad' one.
(edited 9 years ago)
Those cops should lose their jobs clearly. Not qualified to be police officers for sure, they acted like delinquent 12 year olds.
Reply 13
Original post by Davalla
The media should cover news for the benefit of the whole target population, focusing on the negatives is only going to scare the public rather than encourage anything better. This sort of brutality happens wether it is covered by the news or not. The same could be said for sex offenders; there are many convictions- but should they all be mentioned in the news?

I'm probably phrasing this badly, but the point is this; it's easy to look at the news and conclude that the world is a 'bad' one.

The world is a bad one. It's a ****ing ****hole. Trying to close your eyes and cover your ears off from the truth doesn't change how miserable it is and how pathetic we are as a species.
Reply 14
Original post by Davalla

This sort of argument is dangerous because if news agencies followed this editorial line then important stories will be oppressed because they "upset" people. Let the media publish want they want to publish, so long as they do so truthfully.
Original post by Evening
The world is a bad one. It's a ****ing ****hole. Trying to close your eyes and cover your ears off from the truth doesn't change how miserable it is and how pathetic we are as a species.

Well forgive me for trying to look on the positive side. :wink:
Original post by #Ridwan
You do realise the case is in court, right? The article is reporting evidence that has been put forward in a court of law, it's not a propaganda exercise.

Very very few police officers involved in allegations of violence make it to court. This is one of them so there must be some pretty strong evidence, yet the first thing you do is call it into question and mock those giving evidence.

The case is in court. The newspaper has reported one side of the evidence. Not the findings.

Some people make things up.
Original post by TolerantBeing

I liked the word 'May' . Other words you could've used are potentially or perceive.

I'll wait until the judgement is made. People have been known to make ludicrous claims about the police in the past.
The media are only interested in Celebs and scandals which will make them money and profit and increase sales
Thos police officers done goofed if they allowed a recording of the attack. Can't they just be more discrete like other officers.
Original post by Skip_Snip

The recording has them calling him a paki then chasing him across the street...

If this was not racially motivated I don't know what is. I guess it's daily mail but it's very unlikely that this wasn't racially motivated and they picked on a guy who happened to be severely autistic.
I liked the word 'May' . Other words you could've used are potentially or perceive.

I'll wait until the judgement is made. People have been known to make ludicrous claims about the police in the past.

Ludicrous claims when there has been a recording of him using a racial slur and then beating a guy down?

This is clear cut as it gets.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest