The Student Room Group

need some uni information ;)

I'm applying to US universities this year (as well as UK ones) and I've done the SAT 1 already once (doing the SATII's in about a week). I want to apply to major in economics if possible, and i was hoping someone could give me a bit of information on possible unis - ivy-leagues im mostly aware of but from what I've read there are some new unis challenging the ivys these days ;o

if it helps I scored 2040 on the SAT I first time i did it, with not alot of revision before. Also got 9A*s at gcse and 3as and a b at AS. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply 1
I'm from the midwest (Indiana), and Michigan and Northwestern are becoming the Economics powerhouses in this territory. If you want better scenery, then check out Stanford and University of California. Or go Ivy as your grades are pretty high. It's hard to find accurate rankings because they are all based on different things. I usually judge a program like economics by the amount of notable research that comes out of it. This shows that they are changing and staying on top of the game rather than sitting back. Good luck and you'll need it as I'm sure you will be involved in American politics while you're here!
UCs are only a good deal if you are an in-state applicant. Though, I would recommend sticking to the coasts (or Northwestern, lol) because they tend to be more well-known internationally. I'd apply to maybe an ivy or two, but find some upper-middle tier ones as well.
Ivy Leagues: Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Cornell, Columbia, Dartmouth, U Penn, Brown. If you are female you should include Barnard College - all women's part of Columbia, you get a Columbia University degree at the end.

Top Non-Ivies (they are equally/higher ranked than some of the Ivies): MIT, Duke, Stanford, Cal Tech, U of Chicago

"Public Ivies" UVa, UC Berkeley, UNC-Chapel Hill, UCLA. All tough to get into from out of state/country.

Top Universities: Johns Hopkins, Washington Uni in St. Louis, Rice, Emory, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Tulane, William and Mary

Top Liberal Arts Colleges: Williams, Amherst, Pomona, Swarthmore, Wesleyan, Haverford

Those are all excellent universities. I'm sure it's added some confusion though!
Don't choose a university based on the economics course. In the US, undergraduate education quality is judged more by the university than by a particular course.
Reply 4
I was going to note the University of Chicago, as I seem to think that they've got a very good economics reputation.

(Also from Indiana. :-) )

ETA: William & Mary's actually public. Amazing, but true.
I go to LSU, it is like one of the top 25 or something I heard. Not sure though cause Im an engineering student. Why Im mentioning LSU is because its affordable and offers scholarships at the undergraduate level. But if you're willing to pay, and seeking a non-ivy league school, then I'd have to say chicago. That school is just great. Around 78 of its alumni and faculty have recieved nobel prizes, and many of those are economists. Plus, it is a very prestigious school. I think they offer some 25 full scholarships to entering freshmen each year. Hope this helps.
Would recommend: Harvard, UC Berkeley, UChicago, Stanford, Princeton.
LSU is not considered a top school, Hurricane.
Reply 8
Well, University of Pennsylvania (Wharton) and University of Michigan (Ross) are pretty strong. I believe that MIT also runs a strong business school.
How about Pharmacy schools in the US or canada??? anyone have any info???
according to this booklet my school gave me, university if toronto is the only good university in canada that has pharmacy(bachelors).... but i have doubts...
Most of the good programs I've heard of in the US are PharmD. University of Texas has a strong program.

Latest

Trending

Trending