The Student Room Group

Physics and Chemistry without Maths?

I was wondering, if I take Chemistry and Physics at A Level without taking maths, would it be too difficult?
Reply 1
Original post by student467
I was wondering, if I take Chemistry and Physics at A Level without taking maths, would it be too difficult?

Dont do it.

"Mathematics is the gate and key of the sciences" (Roger Bacon c1214-1294)

EDIT - honestly if you don't hate maths further maths is also a good idea, makes physics so easy.

Not too difficult, but it would most definitely help. You do logarithms and Natural logs in the second year for Physics and you also do them in Maths!
Also in Maths you have Mechanics 1 and Mechanics 2 which go hand in hand with Physics!
Reply 3
The A-levels will probably be fine, they are designed to be taken in isolation. Make the odd bit of extra effort where you need to bridge that gap. The question is: what are your intentions after? I'd heavily recommend doing Maths if you're likely to do any further study related to Physics and/or Chemistry.

Definitely take maths. It's possible to still do well in Chem and Physics without it, but maths helps a lot, and is a good subject in itself.
Reply 5

I've taken both physics and chemistry to A2, having dropped maths at GCSE.
Personally, the maths side in chemistry was fine for me, there's nothing too complicated there.
Physics is sometimes a slight issue for me. The logs and some of the more complicated calculations are quite difficult without having basic knowledge. Most of my friends have had lots of practice with these calculations, whilst I'm still getting to grips with the concept. It's definitely doable, and if you are willing to spend the extra time and effort learning the maths stuff then you'll probably be fine. It's up to you, but certainly don't feel like you'll fail without maths :smile:
I did chemistry and physics without maths past GCSE level, and got an A and a B so it is possible! However it does feature heavily especially in Physics, so you can't be scared of maths! Also I did take a little while to get some of the maths in physics, but if you are prepared for this it should be fine.
obviously if you want to take physics any further you'll need maths.
might be best if you do take it, you won't be held back much in chemistry, but for physics I imagine you will struggle quite a bit

Quick Reply

Latest