The Student Room Group

Opinions on modern-day jokes about Nazism/Holocaust humour?

Hey guys,

Just generally intrigued about this one, I'm not here to propose my own views. I'm not referring to just jokes in the written sense, put also pictures which I'm sure most of you have seen.

In today's society, we can apply it to anything really, we seem to live in a society with a twisted sense of humour. I will put my hands up and admit I have chuckled at the odd photo-shopped picture of Hitler, and the odd pun here and there. But, do you think this is completely unacceptable? Is it a travesty? Is it merely trivializing the sheer horror that was caused under the Nazi regime? Or do you think that finding a joke funny doesn't claim that it actually is?

Again, this can apply to anything, but I've just been reading a lot lately on this subject area and I thought it would be interesting to discuss.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It is interesting and personally think I have been completely desensitised. I watched a video earlier on liveleak of gays being hanged and I actually laughed at their facial expressions before they were about to get executed :/ I doubt i'd do it in real life but everything on the Internet just seems fake and absurd to me.
Reply 2
Original post by DErasmus
It is interesting and personally think I have been completely desensitised. I watched a video earlier on liveleak of gays being hanged and I actually laughed at their facial expressions before they were about to get executed :/

Erm... seek medical help?
Reply 3
I do Nazi the issue. Anne Frankly, dark humour is pretty funny.
Reply 4
Original post by M1011
Erm... seek medical help?

Probably. Not like that at all in real life... can't even stand to see people upset so I doubt i'd be like that in an actual situation, but the Internet is just different, I can't emphasise with things i've never experienced :/ I don't pretend to either, it's just alien to me growing up in comfy England. Maybe a way of rationalising it? Don't think i'm a psycho as I have strong emotions (although I don't cry... not for a very long time) + I generally act in the interests of other people.
(edited 9 years ago)
I actually wonder about this a lot.

I remember the first I saw someone make a joke about the Holocaust, it was at primary school during Holocaust memorial week and we had just had an assembly about it. I found it really shocking and thought the right thing would be to go up to the guy and just punch him in the face, but he was a friend too.

I would never have it banned, it's important that this country gives people the freedom to say offensive things but I do see it as immature purely because it doesn't take any real courage to make that joke, nobody actually cares.
Reply 6
Original post by Jemner01

Jeez, never heard that one before.............
Why not have a laugh in the face of horrible stuff. Surely better than crying really? As long as it's not directly disrespectful.
Bit of a defence mechanism probably.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Evening

It seemed appropriate.
Reply 9
Original post by Evening

It was in the attic.
If they're funny, they're funny, if they're not, then they're not.

Same as any other type of humour or joke, irrespective of topic.
Reply 11
Original post by Jemner01

Jew are Hitlarious! :awesome:
Original post by charmander12
also pictures which I'm sure most of you have seen.

Somebody inform me about these while I crawl from under this rock?
Original post by And then...

I don't know which ones he's refering to specifically but if you google dark humour + holocaust and filter out the obama pictures you'll probably find them
Reply 14
I don't get how laughing at a picture of Hitler with the the word 'Mein Niger' is disrespectful to people that died in the holocaust.

Can someone explain?
Original post by DErasmus
I don't know which ones he's refering to specifically but if you google dark humour + holocaust and filter out the obama pictures you'll probably find them

But then I'd be actively seeking said material, I've never happened to stumble across it, the only thing I've seen is a Hitler world tour T shirt on life is toff.
What about Lee Rigby jokes?
Original post by MagicNMedicine
What about Lee Rigby jokes?

Never tried... have to be careful with Papa Franco - I mean, Tory government watching our communications.
Original post by Gax
Jew are Hitlarious! :awesome:

This thread is definitely out of mein kampfort zone.
Original post by And then...

Basically just type funny Hitler (or something a long those lines) in Google images, same applies for the Holocaust.

Quick Reply