The Student Room Group

Subject choice for highers

So I choose my new subjects for S5 and I want to do something along the lines of IT, graphics, but I'm struggling with what to pick? I can only take 5 subjects including English and Maths, I don't have a very good grade in maths just now so I'd like to leave it and take it back in 6th year before I leave school. I don't want to have to take it and put pressure on myself with subjects like Maths and English, so I've got an idea on what I want to take. Design and Manufacture, Graphics Communication, Computing Science, Administration and English. I'm not sure if all these will be in individual columns, if not then instead of Admin I'll probably have to take Physics again next year. The problem is that I'm going to crash higher Admin, but I don't know if it's hard or what? I've been told by people it's easy and I'm good on computers and all but I was never good and Business management. If there is any other way I could work round it or what you guys are doing that would give me an idea.

Current subjects:
English: Nat5
Maths: Nat4
Computing: Nat5
Design: Nat5
Graphics: Nat5
Physics: Nat5
RE: Nat4
French: Nat5

Next year:
English: Nat5/Higher
Design: Higher
Computing: Higher
Graphics: Higher
Admin: Crash Higher
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SnoopyCat
So I choose my new subjects for S5 and I want to do something along the lines of IT, graphics, but I'm struggling with what to pick? I can only take 5 subjects including English and Maths, I don't have a very good grade in maths just now so I'd like to leave it and take it back in 6th year before I leave school. I don't want to have to take it and put pressure on myself with subjects like Maths and English, so I've got an idea on what I want to take. Design and Manufacture, Graphics Communication, Computing Science, Administration and English. I'm not sure if all these will be in individual columns, if not then instead of Admin I'll probably have to take Physics again next year. The problem is that I'm going to crash higher Admin, but I don't know if it's hard or what? I've been told by people it's easy and I'm good on computers and all but I was never good and Business management. If there is any other way I could work round it or what you guys are doing that would give me an idea.

Current subjects:

Next year:

If you can and it works with the timetable then I'd drop maths and do the subjects you said you wanted because I got 100% in the nat 5 exam this year and I'm finding higher maths a lot of work as in there is quite a high workload,but I still love it ;p. But other people are finding it quite hard because its new stuff every. single. day. Also, I doubt you will be able to do higher admin since you haven't done nat 5 and in my school anyway they were in the same column. How about english, d&m, graphics, computing and photography (we could take it up at higher without any prior knowledge and what from what ive seen it is really cool, thinking about doing it in sixth year tbh! and its quite graphics/design orientated.
Original post by SnoopyCat

Current subjects:

Next year:

Hi!
As someone who never done a maths higher and is now at university and doing absolutely fine without it I suggest you drop maths and do the subjects you want to. If you're studying subjects you're passionate about you'll do much better. If your school are being *******s about maths just point blank refuse/get your parents involved and they should back down (can you tell I reeeeaally didn't want to do maths!). Your choices seem sound but you may want to check that you are definitely allowed to pick up new highers in fifth year, I know in my school we were only allowed crash highers in sixth year.

Feel free to drop me a message if you need any more advice :biggrin:

Kerry x
Original post by kerrydouglas
Hi!
As someone who never done a maths higher and is now at university and doing absolutely fine without it I suggest you drop maths and do the subjects you want to. If you're studying subjects you're passionate about you'll do much better. If your school are being *******s about maths just point blank refuse/get your parents involved and they should back down (can you tell I reeeeaally didn't want to do maths!). Your choices seem sound but you may want to check that you are definitely allowed to pick up new highers in fifth year, I know in my school we were only allowed crash highers in sixth year.

Feel free to drop me a message if you need any more advice :biggrin:

Kerry x

Maths is fundamental to computing. If he wants to do any kind computing/ graphics he's going to need maths. Dropping it is probably the worst idea
Reply 4
Original post by langlitz
Maths is fundamental to computing. If he wants to do any kind computing/ graphics he's going to need maths. Dropping it is probably the worst idea

I second that. There is no easy way to success. Math is imperative to almost all subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending