The Student Room Group

Help with A-level options?

I've been thinking about my A-level choices for ages and the deadline for the sixth form application at my school is really close and I still can't make my mind up :confused:
My only definite choice is Maths. I have strong interests in Art and Psychology and I'm doing the GCSEs for both of these and am considering pursuing one of these at university. I'm also considering Architecture, since I enjoy Physics but apparently it's quite competitive... which puts me off.

The Cambridge website writes as course requirements for Psychological and Behavioural Sciences:
Essential No specific subjects
Highly desirable A Level/IB Higher Level Biology or Mathematics
Useful An A Level/IB Higher Level humanities/social science subject

My problem is that I want to take Maths, Art, Psychology and a science subject, but I'm worried universities will consider this to be too "soft".

Should I swap Psychology for Biology since Psychology is not a requirement? But I have gotten A* in GCSE Psychology in every test and assessment, and my working at grade for Biology is usually an A, this term it was actually a B (my worst science subject).

Would Art & Design A-level make my chances of being accepted at a top university more of a struggle?

Thank you. I promise that I have done my own research before posting.
:colondollar:
Original post by Inker
I've been thinking about my A-level choices for ages and the deadline for the sixth form application at my school is really close and I still can't make my mind up :confused:
My only definite choice is Maths. I have strong interests in Art and Psychology and I'm doing the GCSEs for both of these and am considering pursuing one of these at university. I'm also considering Architecture, since I enjoy Physics but apparently it's quite competitive... which puts me off.

The Cambridge website writes as course requirements for Psychological and Behavioural Sciences:

My problem is that I want to take Maths, Art, Psychology and a science subject, but I'm worried universities will consider this to be too "soft".

Should I swap Psychology for Biology since Psychology is not a requirement? But I have gotten A* in GCSE Psychology in every test and assessment, and my working at grade for Biology is usually an A, this term it was actually a B (my worst science subject).

Would Art & Design A-level make my chances of being accepted at a top university more of a struggle?

For art at Uni I would leave the combo as it is.
For psychology at uni I would ideally drop art for biology as this is one they obviously look for however if it isn't a subject you're particularly strong at/don't enjoy then I wouldn't do it.
For architecture - art, maths, physics (very good idea)

Perhaps do a bit more research and think of other careers that you could go into :smile:
Original post by Inker

I don't know too much about this stuff, so please don't take my words for granted. However, if you're looking into Cambridge and other top unis, I do not recommend you take the easy way out, i.e they probably expect you to work harder than a lot of people. I'm not sure about Arts and that kind of stuff. Also if you're looking into anything in the natural sciences department, anything other than the three main sciences, math and further math, is a weak point on your application, yes it's difficult to do the three sciences, but they don't want people who take the easy way out.
Reply 3
Maybe you could take Maths, Physics/Biology, Psychology and Art. If you decide whether you want to go down the Psychology or Art route for university in Year 12 then you could drop the other one.

I'd think doing Psychology at university without an A-level in the subject could be considered a bit risky. I know it's not stated as an essential, but I still think that, where possible, it's good to have an A-level in the subject you wish to pursue. If you have 2/3 subjects at A2 that are 'facilitating' then I don't see that proving much of a problem.

Having done both Physics and Psychology at A-level, I think they're both good choices. There is, however, a fair amount of biology in Psychology so you might benefit from taking Biology over Physics. I can't really speak of the relevance of physics in architecture because I can't draw but I would imagine perhaps having a decent grasp of maths would be sufficient?
Reply 4
Thanks VioletPhillipo, gagafacea1, TheMac. Your advice was extremely useful to me and I feel like I know what to choose now.

edit: I'm choosing Psychology, Maths, Art and Biology if anyone is interested, even though I'm a lot better at Physics than Biology... Architecture doesn't look that interesting anymore.

Actually, is this a good idea? To take Biology instead of Physics?
(edited 9 years ago)
Best combination for psychology is

Maths
Psychology
Biology
History

I would drop preferably art, or at least psychology and take up another facilitating subject. You want at least 3 for the best unis.
I'd say Biology, Mathematics, Physics and Psychology. Maybe not Psychology as it's not actually needed to do a degree in Psychology. If not, Geography? Sorry about Art.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jake4198
Best combination for psychology is

Maths
Psychology
Biology
History

I would drop preferably art, or at least psychology and take up another facilitating subject. You want at least 3 for the best unis.

I do these A-Levels exactly, but dont want to pursue psychology. Biology is very useful alongside psychology.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Thanks for the replies again...

What about Art, Maths, Biology and Chemistry/Physics? Is that a good idea if I wanted to study either Psychology or Art?

Quick Reply

Latest