The Student Room Group

How long did it take you to start dating again after your first serious relationship?

How long did it take? And how did you meet the new person?

I'm 20 years old, 7 months single following my first serious relationship which lasted 18 months. Really keen to get the ball rolling again. I know there's no rush but I'm only going to be young once and find life without the excitement of dating/love/sex a little boring...
Was with my ex for 1 year and 2 months. 2 1/2 years since we broke up. I've been cool with it for the most part, but lately been thinking it would be good to get back in the game. Just really don't know how to go about it. Kinda scary that I've not made a connection with a single girl on a romantic level for this amount of time. :eek:
My only serious relationship was 2 and a half years long which ended in early 2013. I started dating again about 8 months afterwards, and a small number of drunken romps before that. Haven't had a serious relationship since then, though.
Reply 3
I was with my current partner for a year and we broke up and little did we know we would get back together again and have been together for 5 yrs since but after the first break it took me about 8 months to start dating again and then about 2 months after that I ended up back with him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
It was about 3 years with a couple of dalliances in the interim period. Took me a long time to get over my first love even though it was only a 4 month relationship. I was looking for a new relationship pretty quickly after as part of the healing process but noting really worked out. I am quite intrigued by people who have a queue waiting for them to fall single again so they can pounce!
Original post by Spock's Socks
I was with my current partner for a year and we broke up and little did we know we would get back together again and have been together for 5 yrs since but after the first break it took me about 8 months to start dating again and then about 2 months after that I ended up back with him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is quite interesting, Why did you break up in the first place? (If you don't mind me asking)
Reply 6
Original post by C_tinie_D
That is quite interesting, Why did you break up in the first place? (If you don't mind me asking)

I can't actually remember the exact reason. We were both 16 and petty and immature so it was no doubt something silly looking back. We got together again by chance when I found out something bad happened to him and I emailed him saying I was sorry to hear what happened and we got talking again and saw we had both grown up a lot during the break and been together since.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Spock's Socks
I can't actually remember the exact reason. We were both 16 and petty and immature so it was no doubt something silly looking back. We got together again by chance when I found out something bad happened to him and I emailed him saying I was sorry to hear what happened and we got talking again and saw we had both grown up a lot during the break and been together since.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww nice!
Reply 8
It was about two or three months after I broke up with my first proper boyfriend that I went on a date again. I met him in a club and we only went on the one date.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Been together over a year but best friends for 5 years before that, and broken up 5 months - I've not dated and don't see myself doing so in a long time, unless it's getting back together with him. To be honest, in the back of my mind I still think we'll end up together.
Original post by Anonymous
How long did it take? And how did you meet the new person?

I'm 20 years old, 7 months single following my first serious relationship which lasted 18 months. Really keen to get the ball rolling again. I know there's no rush but I'm only going to be young once and find life without the excitement of dating/love/sex a little boring...
About a year.
I was with my ex for justnover two years. Id say it took a good year to really want a relationship again. It was about 18months later when I started my next (and current) relationship. Id had a few ONS and been on a few dates in the first year, but wasnt tempted to make things more serious. I think thaylt year was really important to get to know myself again, have fun and relax as a singleton. That way i was totally ready for the next relationship that came along.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was with my ex just over 6 years, and for me I would say it took me a couple months to start dating again, but that was because I wasn't sure if it was a short term break. Admittedly it took me a little longer to get over them as there were reminders, and unresolved things that I felt needed to be cleared up to move on entirely. Knowing that these things won't be dealt with a mature manner, or deflected with false hope and be sorted once and for all, its sparked me full steam at having to move on 100%.
(edited 9 years ago)
About three and a half months. In hindsite it was a bit too soon for me personally
It's been two and a half years, and I'm still single! (Was fifteen then, eighteen now).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending