The Student Room Group

Hallucinations/thinking I see things?

Could 'thinking I see things' be classed as hallucinating? Before anyone says anything, it's not because I'm tired etc.

Through out the day, as I walk down my street or whatever, I often 'see' things in the corner of my eye or sometimes straight in front of me but as soon as I look towards it or blink, its not there. Most of the time I shrug it off, but it's been getting much more frequent. I'm never really sure what I see either. Sometimes it's people-looking blurs, other times it's literally just a blur. I end up questioning whether I actually saw it or whether my head is just playing tricks on me and I'm thinking I saw it.

As well as this I seem to have a habit of hearing things - like my name being called and odd sounds etc.

Aside from tiredness and stress, what could cause this? And is this the same as hallucinating or is hallucinating the much more stereo-typed 'see something very obvious in front of you and believe/it seems real'?
Who knows. You may have a problem with your eyes and I suggest you have a detailed check up with an optometrist to catch anything bad early on.

If you are confident you are also experiencing auditory hallucinations it is possible something more sinister is going on and a visit to a good GP would be the obvious course of action. There is very little useful information to be had from TSR with the information given.
Reply 2
this is pretty much how psychosis started for me. It went on for 5-6 months; I'd see figures stood far in the distance that didn't quite feel right, shapes out the corner of my eye, and people in crowds shouting after me. It was a very gradual slip from thinking someone was shouting me to hearing things that weren't there.

My advice would be ignore it for now, don't let it bother you and see how it goes in 3-4 months time. If your tired and under stress, then yes, it could be that
I've been getting that recently, didn't even realise that it could actually mean something... It mostly happens when I'm tired but I've definitely been hearing my name being called out quite a lot.
A lot pf people experience these sort of 'hallucinations'. Go to the GP if you feel you need too, otherwise just keep an eye on it - if it becomes persistent and/or distressing it's probably time to seek help.
Reply 5
See your GP. You could just be stressed/sleep deprived but its best to rule out something worse! Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest