The Student Room Group

Stress? anxiety? Talk to a doctor or leave it. Help?

(You can skip the first half if you want) So, I don't know what's up with me lately, last year I suspended my final uni year cause I messed up. And stress got to me so so bad. I just kinda hurled myself at home, the only place I felt conformable or safe. This year I retook My final year but I'm freaking wout again. I'm behind in class and, I keep missing lessons because. I'm so afraid of what the rest of the class and my tutor think, I keep getting negative thoughts i keep thinking that they look down on me and judge me and have already pegged me as the weird one,in general. I'm afraid of being looked at negatively. There's a project due soon, and I keep thinking I should do it but I'm behind, I tell myself to go talk to my tutor but but I'm overwhelmed with so much fear, thinking " yeah, she'll look down on me or think I'm a failure etc. I'm just so scared I don't even know why. The last couple of days, I've sat down or really thought about what I'm gonna do, but every time I start stressing over the fact that I'm behind might fail, disappoint my family, feel like such a failure as a person, my mind gets so jumbled up and confused that I literally cannot think straight anymore.
I start pacing around the room, breathing heavily, thoughts like" I'm a failure, what am I gonna do, my parents are gonna be so disappointed in me, I'm such a disappointment, my classmates already think I'm a failure, my tutour does too etc, I'm just so scared of being looked down upon or the negative opinions of my classmates and tutour that I physically won't leave my house for class.

( if u skipped start here) But the thing now is that when I start worrying about this stuff, it's happened a couple of times now, I start breathing heavy, the more I think about the issues bothering me, pacing around the room, then I loose strength in my legs and slowly my body, I end up slumping to the ground and my legs start having these spasm, feels like I can't control them. I try getting up but my body does not listen I end up crawling around the floor trying to get up, while still breathing heavily. I also start to feel nauseous, and chock a little bit.
I keep trying to stop body from shaking or making spasms. I try getting up but I can't, feels like energy has left my body. I keep curling up and un curling. I'm crying cause I don't know what to do. All at the same time thinking "what I'm gonna do what am I gonna do, I don't know what to do, "I'm just really confused at that point, Until I try blocking out what is causing me to worry and try and control my body. My legs mostly are the ones that seem to have like these extreme spasms when I'm freaking out. I have to hold down my legs and try control my breathing once I've calmed my mind a bit. That's sorta happened a few times now. It's never happened before in my life. So I'm not sure what to think. I'd wanna tell my mum but again those thoughts of them looking down on me or their disappointment and somehow a part of me feels ashamed and insecure of even telling them. I don't know what to do. I know there have been a few points where I felt depressed, I mean it was not diagnosed by a doctor but, thinking back, I know that I was depressed and took to comfort eating and locking myself away from the outside world. I got over them each time I know I'm a shy person but I have never freaked out about other peoples opinion of me to this degree, I would worry but I'd get over it but now I'm actually so scared I don't know what to do. And these random moments where my body goes crazy I'm not sure what to do about that, I'm just a bit confused.
Reply 1
The most important thing to do is be positive and talk to someone close about it...tell your mother about this because no matter how we may think we will disappoint them, parents always understand us and find the best solution for our problems...so that would be most important,..it may be easier to talk to someone who you don't know because you don't really care about what they think but since we care very much about what parents and our close ones think we take in a lot of unrequired pressure.
just stop stressing and talk it out with your mum.
and remember this, our mind is always stresses into thinking we have no solutions to the problems but in reality if we just calm down, take deep breaths and think clearly no matter how grave the situation is, we always find a way out. :smile:
Reply 2
*stressed into
Reply 3
What your describing sounds like a panic attack and I'd recommend firstly looking at some online resources. There are lots of tips out there on how to cope with them - I don't have any links to hand right now, but I'm sure if you google it you'll find lots.

It takes a lot of courage to go to a doctor about this stuff but given that it's affecting your life a lot and the level of physical symptoms you're having, I'd recommend it.

Does your university offer a counselling service? Most do, and it might be helpful for you to look into that, especially since they know a lot about the issues university students face. There's also the option of going to speak to your lecturers/tutors and seeing if there's any additional support they can offer you, particularly if you're missing lectures and classes.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by a9493r
The most important thing to do is be positive and talk to someone close about it...tell your mother about this because no matter how we may think we will disappoint them, parents always understand us and find the best solution for our problems...so that would be most important,..it may be easier to talk to someone who you don't know because you don't really care about what they think but since we care very much about what parents and our close ones think we take in a lot of unrequired pressure.
just stop stressing and talk it out with your mum.
and remember this, our mind is always stresses into thinking we have no solutions to the problems but in reality if we just calm down, take deep breaths and think clearly no matter how grave the situation is, we always find a way out. :smile:

Thankyou, I've decided to talk to mum, cause I don't know what to do right now, I'm scared out of my mind but I gotta do it. I wanted to explain what's going on with me to my tutour but since I'm retaking ,y final year and she's new to the uni I don't know her very well, and talking to her freaks me out a bit. I've stared having pains in my chest now when I'm stressing over this even just a little bit I thought it was the cold but keeping warm ant helping. I still can't muster up the courage to go to my tutor or the head of the project that's due soon but at least I can manage to talk to my mum. Taking it one step at a time.
Reply 5
Original post by ymlou
What your describing sounds like a panic attack and I'd recommend firstly looking at some online resources. There are lots of tips out there on how to cope with them - I don't have any links to hand right now, but I'm sure if you google it you'll find lots.

It takes a lot of courage to go to a doctor about this stuff but given that it's affecting your life a lot and the level of physical symptoms you're having, I'd recommend it.

Does your university offer a counselling service? Most do, and it might be helpful for you to look into that, especially since they know a lot about the issues university students face. There's also the option of going to speak to your lecturers/tutors and seeing if there's any additional support they can offer you, particularly if you're missing lectures and classes.

Hope this helps :smile:

I wanna talk to my tutor but negative thoughts keep coming to my head and I end up backing down. But talking to my mum is a start. Then talking to one of the uni's counciling people again. I had a similar problem last yr and suspended my studies, I thought this yr would be fine after the break but it's worse than last year, but yeah hopefully talking to my mum will help.
Thankyou for your advice.
Reply 6
That's good that you are talking to your mum about it. Take care :smile: let me know how everything goes.
Reply 7
Talk to someone who likes you a lot. Usually, these are the issues can be easily rectified by engaging yourself with most likable things and activities.
Most important thing is you have taken the first step by talking to someone close to you, I would definitely make an appointment with your doctor though as well.
Reply 9
Personally i don't think a doctor is right for you, i think learning how to control stress is. Doctors can't help you with stress.

Quick Reply

Latest