The Student Room Group

Uni 'Friend' Stopped Speaking To Me! :/

I met this girl on my course the week I started uni, she's nice and we went out a few times together. Then, she met another group of friends on our course (3 girls) and she asked if I wanted to live with them next year, I said yes. This didnt all go to plan since she then decided I wasn't going to be living with them and chose someone else! She didn't even tell me about this until I asked. Obviously, I was fuming about it but I acted like I was fine with it. But now, her and her new group of friends have just stopped talking to me completely. In seminars when I try and chat, they cut me off or ignore me. It's really hurtful. Last night, we had a course night out and they blanked me there also. Should I just ignore it and make different friends? :frown:
Well she isn't a very good friend if that's the way she's treating you.

Your best bet is to make new friends, or ask her what her issue is?
Reply 2
We got on so well before the house situation :frown:
Reply 3
Please help!
Reply 4
Just ask her.

To be honest, you should have called her out on the fact she asked you to house-share, but then got someone else. You still can call her out on this.

Make new friends.
Original post by Anonymous
I met this girl on my course the week I started uni, she's nice and we went out a few times together. Then, she met another group of friends on our course (3 girls) and she asked if I wanted to live with them next year, I said yes. This didnt all go to plan since she then decided I wasn't going to be living with them and chose someone else! She didn't even tell me about this until I asked. Obviously, I was fuming about it but I acted like I was fine with it. But now, her and her new group of friends have just stopped talking to me completely. In seminars when I try and chat, they cut me off or ignore me. It's really hurtful. Last night, we had a course night out and they blanked me there also. Should I just ignore it and make different friends? :frown:

It sounds like too much of an organised cut-off by all of them to be as simple as them not being good friends. Perhaps there was a misunderstanding on their part/you did or said something to turn them against you, or some rumour to that effect. Ask them if this is the case.
Hey :smile:

A similar thing happened to me in first year when I also met a girl on registration day at uni, we became good friends very quickly and spent time in each others halls and went out all the time especially during freshers and before uni started, we were on different courses but she made 3 other friends on her course and introduced me to them. We all got on well and I went to her birthday party as well as various nights out with all of these girls until around November when she suddenly stopped talking to me gradually. She had told me before she wanted me to live with her and her friends the following year too. At first I thought we were arranging to look for a house to share and I didn't know when this was happening since neither her nor her other friends messaged me anymore. I tried calling her a few times but it immediately went to voicemail, also messaging all 4 of the girls to see if they wanted to ever meet up again and I got no reply. Then after Christmas break I finally saw my 'friend' again on the first day back at uni, confronted her and she said 'oh no it slipped my mind to tell you but me and (her friends) have already signed the contract for a 4 bedroom house it was a quick decision, sorry.' So I practically broke down and had to find somewhere else to live quickly because I had been relying on this girls's promise (stupidly) and she stabbed me in the back. I was left with no more friends at uni (my stupid decision not to try and network with people on my own course) and no more social life since it came and went with my ex friend as I had no one else to go out with.

I spent the middle of first year absolutely misarable literally crying most days, staying shut in my flat and being really withdrawn. My grades suffered and I nearly dropped out, but near the end of first year I sat next to a girl in one of my lectures I never noticed before, got talking to her and then we became friends and she introduced me to all her friends. We are now one big happy group. So my advice is, forget these girls who are ignoring you and move on. Try and make new friends instead of chasing backstabbers.

A similar thing happened to me in first year when I also met a girl on registration day at uni, we became good friends very quickly and spent time in each others halls and went out all the time especially during freshers and before uni started, we were on different courses but she made 3 other friends on her course and introduced me to them. We all got on well and I went to her birthday party as well as various nights out with all of these girls until around November when she suddenly stopped talking to me gradually. She had told me before she wanted me to live with her and her friends the following year too. At first I thought we were arranging to look for a house to share and I didn't know when this was happening since neither her nor her other friends messaged me anymore. I tried calling her a few times but it immediately went to voicemail, also messaging all 4 of the girls to see if they wanted to ever meet up again and I got no reply. Then after Christmas break I finally saw my 'friend' again on the first day back at uni, confronted her and she said 'oh no it slipped my mind to tell you but me and (her friends) have already signed the contract for a 4 bedroom house it was a quick decision, sorry.' So I practically broke down and had to find somewhere else to live quickly because I had been relying on this girls's promise (stupidly) and she stabbed me in the back. I was left with no more friends at uni (my stupid decision not to try and network with people on my own course) and no more social life since it came and went with my ex friend as I had no one else to go out with.

I spent the middle of first year absolutely misarable literally crying most days, staying shut in my flat and being really withdrawn. My grades suffered and I nearly dropped out, but near the end of first year I sat next to a girl in one of my lectures I never noticed before, got talking to her and then we became friends and she introduced me to all her friends. We are now one big happy group. So my advice is, forget these girls who are ignoring you and move on. Try and make new friends instead of chasing backstabbers.

The ending to this made me so happy. I actually felt quite empathetic towards you through that despite not knowing you!

Awesome that you found your way in the end though! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

make new friends, some people find out who their true friends r in their second year
Reply 9

Thank you for your reply, you've made me feel better!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending