The Student Room Group

Uni similarity detected??

Hey guys,

I have just received an email from ucas notifying me about the fact that they have found some similarity in my personal statement and blahblahblah.

My question is this:

In actual fact I had sent my application two days ago and it had been mentioned that no similarity had been detected under track.
But until yesterday night when I decided to subsitute my offer. This morning I have recieved an email saying ; They have detected similarities.

Now will they inform ALL my unis? provided that this only happened when I subistuted one of my uni choices?

thank you

& Please dont' say it is your own fault....I already know but that is not the answer I am looking for. So if that is what you will say, don't bother.
(edited 9 years ago)
chances are they probably will.
It's your own fault. Period
Reply 3
There's a very good chance they will and your unis will either disable you from applying or come up with an appropriate consequence

Out of curiosity, did you deliberately copy/plagiarize your PS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Check with ucas that it isn't a mistake. But if they have detected a similarity they will inform all unis you've applied to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dreamsland
Hey guys,

I have just received an email from ucas notifying me about the fact that they have found some similarity in my personal statement and blahblahblah.

My question is this:

In actual fact I had sent my application two days ago and it had been mentioned that no similarity had been detected under track.
But until yesterday night when I decided to subsitute my offer. This morning I have recieved an email saying ; They have detected similarities.

Now will they inform ALL my unis? provided that this only happened when I subistuted one of my uni choices?

thank you

& Please dont' say it is your own fault....I already know but that is not the answer I am looking for. So if that is what you will say, don't bother.

Substituting your course is not likely to have triggered this - the similarity detection software takes a few days to process results and they're all checked by a person at UCAS before being made official (to check that it hasn't matched you against your own PS from a previous cycle). THAT is why this has popped up 2 days after applying not because you substituted a choice.

Contact UCAS and ask to see a copy of the similarity report. This is the information that will be sent to your universities and so will give you some detail on the scale of the problem.

Once you've got it then proactively contact your universities and ask what they would like you to do - offer to submit a new PS directly to them.

Do not sit and wait for them to react - if you don't show that you understand this to be a problem and try to take steps to fix your mistake then they are more likely to reject you.
http://www.ucas.com/sites/default/files/similarity-detection-applicant-guide_0.pdf

This link has information about the UCAS similarity detection and what the steps are that are carried out etc. Hope it helps.

Quick Reply

Latest