The Student Room Group

Immigration hits highest ever level in history

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheNoobishKnight
We try to make other places better but instead leave it worse.

Flee from what? The bad lifestyle? You probably noticed them on T.V rather than in real life...
I don't think you need to be sherlock homes to find some respectful people like my parents who moved countries for example.
Unless you have an ample size or some legit studies, your opinion is worth nothing. Just saying...

What? You're making assumptions about me now... you have no idea of my experiences. Which area do you live in? I'd like to see who you represent since you're being such a snob it's unlikely you understand the type of people i'm talking about.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by DErasmus
What? You're making assumptions about me now... you have no idea of my experiences. Which area do you live in? I'd like to see who you represent since you're being such a snob it's unlikely you understand the type of people i'm talking about.

I live in an area full of immigrants or children or immigrants(me being one), being in class with 95% of them, if not 100%. It's still doesn't mean I am a valid source. I don't represent no one lol, except my self.

Why are you taking to heart that your opinion means nothing compared to cold hard facts and properly conducted studies? If you provide them, of course I will believe you. Until then you could be chatting complete **** or telling the truth and I wouldn't be able to distinguish them.
Original post by democracyforum
You're right.

Give everyone in Afghanistan a British passport, NHS care, voting rights, housing, school places, tax credits, job opprtunities too.

This would improve their lives.

Finally, you've got the the point, my boy.:angelwings:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Chlorophile
Well given that the UK's GDP per capita has been constantly growing apart from the blip of the financial crisis... And anyway, the GDP per capita is irrelevant. If they earn less than the average, so what? It doesn't drag anyone else down, they're still contributing the economy (and adding more than they take out).

how does it help people already in very populated towns
Original post by TheNoobishKnight
I live in an area full of immigrants or children or immigrants(me being one), being in class with 95% of them, if not 100%. It's still doesn't mean I am a valid source. I don't represent no one lol, except my self.

Why are you taking to heart that your opinion means nothing compared to cold hard facts and properly conducted studies? If you provide them, of course I will believe you. Until then you could be chatting complete **** or telling the truth and I wouldn't be able to distinguish them.

I am speaking of personal experiences... are these irrelevent now? Studies only provide quantitative data, keep up with the times no social scientist thinks these are an adequate explanation these days. What even is a cold hard fact when it comes to society? This sort of positivism died years ago
It's possibly a good thing. The native english in london were behind most of the riots in london in 2012 so better that law abiding immigrants come in who won't burn down and loot shops.
Original post by Maid Marian
Utterly ridiculous. I hate it. In my first ever shift of my new job yesterday, I served more people who spoke pathetic English than I did fluent people. :rolleyes:

So what? That is how people learn languages, by interacting in day-to-day activities and trying to talk to people. It is hard to understand where your intolerance comes from. What have immigrants ever done to you to make you dislike them? :curious:

Would you have a problem if someone spoke to you in Scots, Welsh, Scottish Gaelic, Irish, Cornish, Manx, Angloromani or Shelta? After all, they wouldn't be immigrants.
Original post by mstone12
how does it help people already in very populated towns

Because it does. The notion that we're 'full' is simply wrong.

Original post by Snufkin
So what? That is how people learn languages, by interacting in day-to-day activities and trying to talk to people. It is hard to understand where your intolerance comes from. What have immigrants ever done to you to make you dislike them? :curious:

Would you have a problem if someone spoke to you in Scots, Welsh, Scottish Gaelic, Irish, Cornish, Manx, Angloromani or Shelta? After all, they wouldn't be immigrants.

Hear hear, PRSOM!
Because it does. The notion that we're 'full' is simply wrong.

Hear hear, PRSOM!

well i live in high population area and i am poor and i disagree with you the main problem is too many people in the same areas when we have alot areas with plenty of space with smaller populations
Original post by Unkempt_One
Yeah, add some people to the economy and it looks like its growing, which says little about actual GDP per capita figures, a neat little trick.

Oh boo hoo, our GDP per capita isn't high enough! Why can't we live in a state like Qatar with their gloriously high per capita GDP?
(edited 9 years ago)
Utterly ridiculous. I hate it. In my first ever shift of my new job yesterday, I served more people who spoke pathetic English than I did fluent people. :rolleyes:

Hating it based on that reason seems a bit extreme? Language barriers may hinder your job slightly, but it doesn't really seem a reason to hate immigration. Besides, how do you know whether the people you were serving were immigrants, and not just tourists, for example?
Original post by mstone12
well i live in high population area and i am poor and i disagree with you the main problem is too many people in the same areas when we have alot areas with plenty of space with smaller populations

How do you know there are too many people in the same area? Do you have any kind of quantitative data that suggests that's the case?

So, your point is that only people who speak fluent English are actually worth taking in? :K:
Original post by shadowdweller
Hating it based on that reason seems a bit extreme? Language barriers may hinder your job slightly, but it doesn't really seem a reason to hate immigration. Besides, how do you know whether the people you were serving were immigrants, and not just tourists, for example?

I agree with you :tongue: Not being able to speak fluent English doesn't mean these people should be looked down. They should be viewed from the different angle. In other words, what they can offer for the country they are staying in or what job prospects are awaiting for them :h:
I think everyone is missing the point.

This year , Britain had the highest level of immigrants ever, in British history, since Britain began.

This is highly significant, just by itself.

The fact Cameron said he would reduce immigration is just a joke.
How do you know there are too many people in the same area? Do you have any kind of quantitative data that suggests that's the case?

i mean social housing and services where i live there are quite alot homeless people in these areas getting housed can take years even if your homeless could be in that position myself in few weeks not a looking for ward to it put it that way .
Immigration has ruined the UK. How can it be good that the English are a minority in their own capital city? When you look at the old films of London in the 1960's - wow what a difference. Up until the 1980's, London was still a great place to live. There was a healthy balance of English and foreign people back then. I think during the 90's is where things started going wrong. And the 00's - far too many immigrants let in. Hardly hear English being spoken around parts of London. You can see how London has become over-crowded. People everywhere, even out in the suburbs. No space on the pavements of main high streets, too much traffic. A lot of tourists are shocked when they come to London, because it looks anything but English. The culture has changed. Overall, people are less polite because they come from other countries with different cultures. Look at the crimes that are committed nowadays - some are shocking and belong in The Third World. Burqas and hijabs everywhere. These people now enjoy the benefits of living in London, a city built over the centuries by British people, and many of them have no loyalty or love of the country.
Original post by msummerbee
Immigration has ruined the UK. How can it be good that the English are a minority in their own capital city? When you look at the old films of London in the 1960's - wow what a difference. Up until the 1980's, London was still a great place to live. There was a healthy balance of English and foreign people back then. I think during the 90's is where things started going wrong. And the 00's - far too many immigrants let in. Hardly hear English being spoken around parts of London. You can see how London has become over-crowded. People everywhere, even out in the suburbs. No space on the pavements of main high streets, too much traffic. A lot of tourists are shocked when they come to London, because it looks anything but English. The culture has changed. Overall, people are less polite because they come from other countries with different cultures. Look at the crimes that are committed nowadays - some are shocking and belong in The Third World. Burqas and hijabs everywhere. These people now enjoy the benefits of living in London, a city built over the centuries by British people, and many of them have no loyalty or love of the country.

English people aren't a minority in London.

Quite frankly, to even suggest that is the case makes you seem an arrogant fool.

EDIT: Oh, and complaining about Burka's and similar religious wear is another (likely to get offensive very quickly) discussion that you should take elsewhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending