The Student Room Group

Which is the best UK city to be a student?

Big, small, north, south, east or west?

There is so much choice in the UK now. Do you choose the uni because you like the city too?

I chose Birmingham because having grown up in Brighton I needed somewhere vibrant with a good night life. I also fell in love with the picturesque campus.

In the QS world uni rankings only 3 British cities made the QS world university rankings - Edinburgh (26) Manchester (29) & Coventry (45).

Do you love your student city? :cookie:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I chose Huddersfield to study at and I love it :biggrin:
Newcastle!

It's not been voted 'Best City in the UK' for nothing :biggrin:
Reply 3
I'd say Manchester.

Right mix of big city things to do, not too big that you'd get lost or feel insignificant, cheap, well linked with the country, eternally popular, great music scene.

I liked it so much that I'm now back here for a second time ( living in the city, not at uni again).

And it looks like this:
(edited 9 years ago)
I chose Sheffield and love it here :smile:
Sheffield.
Oxford
LONDON
Original post by ScarletXxXRose
LONDON

bit expensive
Nottingham, Manchester and Newcastle are supposedly great for nightlife.

Sheffield has an amazing SU, though nights in the city itself aren't quite as extravagant.
Reply 10
Leeds. Great city centre. Great Uni. Otley Run pub crawl. What more could you want??
I've never really understood why Newcastle is so popular. Unless your idea of a good night out involves getting off with a Geordie Shore reject and having someone throw up on you, there are far better cities.
Oxford is my pick. Mostly because it is where I had the best of memories.
Reply 13
Will be watching reports of Nottingham and Dundee keenly on this!! Two options on my UCAS that i'd love to know more about city-wise
Original post by chricky
Will be watching reports of Nottingham and Dundee keenly on this!! Two options on my UCAS that i'd love to know more about city-wise

The more sensible idea would be to go visit for yourself...
If you can afford it and don't spend too much time in the tourist hotspots, then definitely London.

Otherwise Manchester. Then maybe Leeds.
Reply 16
Original post by Drewski
The more sensible idea would be to go visit for yourself...

I intend to visit- I am waiting on dates for the post-offer open day... But I'm sure you would agree there is much more to know of a city than can be seen in a 1 day visit and I can't afford multiple flights from Belfast to any one of my choices given that 4 of my choices require flights to go and see. Therefore opinions on the cities from people who live there will be extremely useful!
Original post by chricky
I intend to visit- I am waiting on dates for the post-offer open day... But I'm sure you would agree there is much more to know of a city than can be seen in a 1 day visit and I can't afford multiple flights from Belfast to any one of my choices given that 4 of my choices require flights to go and see. Therefore opinions on the cities from people who live there will be extremely useful!

Have you posted in the Dundee or Nottingham forums yet? The community there will be able to help you too :h:
Reply 18
I haven't as yet no, thanks for the suggestion! I've used TSR briefly before but I've only recently realised its sheer size and range of threads!
Reply 19
Original post by Quantex
I've never really understood why Newcastle is so popular. Unless your idea of a good night out involves getting off with a Geordie Shore reject and having someone throw up on you, there are far better cities.

How many times have you been out in Newcastle?

Quick Reply

Latest