The Student Room Group

Is there any point to labelling myself as a pescetarian?

I just dont get why I have to label myself in all aspects of life and most recently with what I eat and dont eat.
You can label yourself whatever you like.

Or you know, just eat and do what you want
Nope, labels are foolish and people can't always be so easily categorised. Having said that if someone says "how come I've never seen you eat meat but you're eating fish", most cultured people will understand why you do this if you say "I'm pescetarian". The non-mealtime situations that such a conversation will come up are few and far between and you'll even sound a bit pretentious if you bring it up randomly without context. So I really wouldn't worry. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
Nope, labels are foolish and people can't always be so easily categorised. Having said that if someone says "how come I've never seen you eat meat but you're eating fish", most cultured people will understand why you do this if you say "I'm pescetarian". The non-mealtime situations that such a conversation will come up are few and far between and you'll even sound a bit pretentious if you bring it up randomly without context. So I really wouldn't worry. :smile:

Thank you for the great reply. People do comment on it, although I do go through phases but thats no one elses business. When I meet with friends or should I say acquaintances and they say get this, I say oh I dont eat meat and then they say well you arent vegetarian etc etc and I just cannot be bothered going into the ins an outs of my eating life!
fish have feelings
Reply 5
Original post by the bear
fish have feelings

I didnt give reasoning for why I only eat fish and not meat.
Original post by justjake09
I didnt give reasoning for why I only eat fish and not meat.

spill the beans

:cookie:

[scrollr]:holmes:[/scrollr]
Reply 7
spill the beans

:cookie:

[scrollr]:holmes:[/scrollr]

I dont have to justify myself or my reasoning for this, at all. However, I will give you a little insight into the reasoning. Ideally I would like to be vegetarian. But i find it difficult at the moment. I managed to be a vegan for just a month.
Also I am favouring to eating raw and you can eat fish and seafood raw without getting sick. Unlike meat. Also have never been a big fan of meat, and believe its healthier to eat fish than meat.
So a mixture of reasonings. However, I will probably eat meat again in the future I go through phases. My choice.
you can eat raw meat... the French like Steak Tartare...

here are some raw beef dishes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Raw_beef_dishes
Reply 9
Well, if you need to note what your dietary habits are, it's easier to say you're pescetarian than say you don't eat animals except fish.
Reply 10
you can eat raw meat... the French like Steak Tartare...

here are some raw beef dishes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Raw_beef_dishes

Thanks, but I dont like beef never been a fan, and steak repulses me. I mainly ate chicken, lots of chicken and turkey and pork. All need to be cooked, thoroughly.
Reply 11
Original post by miser
Well, if you need to note what your dietary habits are, it's easier to say you're pescetarian than say you don't eat animals except fish.

Yes, totally agree with you there but for some reason when you give it name like that, people want to discuss it and show you, you are wrong.. Like above. 'Fish have feelings'. People assume oh they are doing for this reason or that reason.
Yes, totally agree with you there but for some reason when you give it name like that, people want to discuss it and show you, you are wrong.. Like above. 'Fish have feelings'. People assume oh they are doing for this reason or that reason.

I feel you. But saying "I eat fish but not other animals" rather than, "I'm pescetarian" makes no difference on that point.
Reply 13

That is true, though like e rapaz says, I think people will still be likely to say "but fish have feelings too", and the like.

As a vegetarian, I get asked about my vegetarianism all the time. What I've found works well for me is to give a very reasonable and concise rationale for my vegetarianism, and then usually the other person will say "fair enough." Occasionally they might say something like, "but animals get killed in agriculture too," or some such thing.

If that happens I shut it down, because I've been vegetarian long enough to know these people are more interested in bringing you down and showing how you're not superior to them, rather than actually having a worthwhile discussion about the welfare of animals. It's easy in these cases to say, "Let's talk about something else," or raise a different topic of conversation. If it progresses beyond that point you know not to eat out with them again.
Thank you for the great reply. People do comment on it, although I do go through phases but thats no one elses business. When I meet with friends or should I say acquaintances and they say get this, I say oh I dont eat meat and then they say well you arent vegetarian etc etc and I just cannot be bothered going into the ins an outs of my eating life!

if after you have said you're pescetarian they say this, first say 'I know that and I feel a bit bad about it but I only eat fish for health reasons', if they continue to piss you off just tell them it's none of their business. If they are a closer friend you can then if you feel comfortable go into the real reasons (if these are different to what I have suggested). Would that work? :smile:

or as miser suggested is good too ^^^
I've never understood the need to label yourself tbh.

Dunno if it's just me, but I find that stuff like this rarely comes up in conversation. But I find that because I don't drink alcohol for numerous reasons, (medication, can't have most alcohol anyway due to wheat intolerance, etc) that tends to come up in coversation a lot more. Aside from that conversation with that militant veggie who told me I shouldn't eat meat and should be veggie. She couldn't give me a reason as to why I should limit my diet more than I already need to. (wheat intolerant; so can't eat a lot of stuff anyway)

You shouldn't need to justify yourself. Me, I'd just say that I don't like the texture or something. I don't eat certain meats for that reason.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending