The Student Room Group

Child Grooming gangs of Pakistani, afganis, iraqis, now Somalis too - whats the Link?

a variety of different ethnicities and racial groups in differnt parts of the country, sort of blowing out of the water certain islamic groups claims that this was a specific culturally caused problem of certain ethnicities.

the common factor that they seem to over look is all the above known convicted perpetrators were brought up islamically.

I wonder why these groups ( and the Media) would rather report on the racial characteristics of the convicted as opposed to their mutually practiced faith
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I think banging on about one particular aspect, whether it be their race or religion or whatever, is really just ignoring the complexity of the situation. There seems to be a concious effort to ignore their religious background, though, which obviously also ignores the complexity of the situation. Unless the right and left get over those respective hurdles we're not going to make much progress on why these child grooming gangs seem to come from these particular demographics.
Original post by Unkempt_One
I think banging on about one particular aspect, whether it be their race or religion or whatever, is really just ignoring the complexity of the situation. There seems to be a concious effort to ignore their religious background, though, which obviously also ignores the complexity of the situation. Unless the right and left get over those respective hurdles we're not going to make much progress on why these child grooming gangs seem to come from these particular demographics.

there has been a conscious effort to ignore an islamic background for sure, these people ethnicities have received no such protection. the response of most muslims on this subject has been simply that " pakistanis are abusers because its in their culture, but islamic culture is perfect' - a racist statement in itself, but also a completly false one, because we can see that various other ethnic groups who also have an islamic background, also practice the same.

i think unless the elephant in the room is address, these issues (and perhaps others that can also be traced back to the same influences ) will not be dealt with.
Original post by Meenglishnogood
there has been a conscious effort to ignore an islamic background for sure, these people ethnicities have received no such protection. the response of most muslims on this subject has been simply that " pakistanis are abusers because its in their culture, but islamic culture is perfect' - a racist statement in itself, but also a completly false one, because we can see that various other ethnic groups who also have an islamic background, also practice the same.

i think unless the elephant in the room is address, these issues (and perhaps others that can also be traced back to the same influences ) will not be dealt with.

Well, if you're talking about ethnicities, they've often been referred to as 'Asian' which isn't very specific since that includes two thirds of the world's population. Obviously the ethnicity should only matter as far as it indicates their country of origin or culture, but it indicates another way in which the news is portraying information weirdly. And I agree, it's obvious that Islam should not be above criticism, especially in the wake of how much scrutiny Christianity gets for various reasons, but the attitude seems to be that if this effective suppression of legitimate criticism is done for the sake of a vulnerable minority it is somehow justified.
Well, if you're talking about ethnicities, they've often been referred to as 'Asian' which isn't very specific since that includes two thirds of the world's population. Obviously the ethnicity should only matter as far as it indicates their country of origin or culture, but it indicates another way in which the news is portraying information weirdly. And I agree, it's obvious that Islam should not be above criticism, especially in the wake of how much scrutiny Christianity gets for various reasons, but the attitude seems to be that if this effective suppression of legitimate criticism is done for the sake of a vulnerable minority it is somehow justified.

even the term 'asian' seeing as it only encompasses pakistani (and possibly afgani) but does not account for iraqis and somalis

islamic background in fact is the only common factor amoung all those people, seems odd that the most obvious factor would be ignored by the media, particularly when its mentioned far more readily when discussing terrorist attrocities

i think abuse by those in political power and public media is another matter altogether and bound by that common factor
i think abuse by those in political power and public media is another matter altogether and bound by that common factor

Not another matter.

The same matter.

If the police fail to prosecute then it encourages those groups to continue their activities and become worse.

It is the same whether it is Asian or White.
Lol op.

What do the kkk, anders breivik, hitler and so many other people have in common????
Original post by DorianGrayism
Not another matter.

The same matter.

If the police fail to prosecute then it encourages those groups to continue their activities and become worse.

Well, yes, that's a unifying factor but it doesn't change the fact that there may be more underlying factors within subsets of these abuse scandals.
Well, yes, that's a unifying factor but it doesn't change the fact that there may be more underlying factors within subsets of these abuse scandals.

No, I really don't think there is.

The Police fail to prosecute for various idiotic reasons because they cannot do their job correctly. That encourages these groups to continue their behaviour.

In the case, of the Political groups and the Jimmy Saville case, it went further and parts of the police were clearly involved in the protection of these individuals.
The authorities probably never done anything because if they did it would be 'racist'.
(edited 9 years ago)
Not another matter.

The same matter.

no its different, whereas you point out a consistent factor being white middle aged men in positions of significant power and influence in one matter, it doesnt preclude the islamic backgrounds of groomers in other cases .

and it is not the polices fault that these crimes are committed :rolleyes:
Maybe it is because English cultural is fairly apprehensive to take allegations of child abuse, rape, etc. seriously? We prefer an attitude of keep calm and carry on. Jimmy Saville certainly was not a Muslim. The ongoing investigation into the systematic abuse of teenage boys at Medomsley currently has over 900 potential victims. The perpetrators were all white non-muslims (to the best of my knowledge).

When white Brits commit such crimes we tend to say that they were individual rotten apples. When Muslims, non-whites, etc. commit similar crimes we tend to say that it is reflective of the culture or religion.
Reply 14
Original post by meenu89
The authorities probably never anything because if they did it would be 'racist'.

The authorites never seem to do anything no matter what race the abusers are.
(edited 9 years ago)
no its different, whereas you point out a consistent factor being white middle aged men in positions of significant power and influence in one matter, it doesnt preclude the islamic backgrounds of groomers in other cases .

Try reading.

I said the consistent factor was the lack of police action.

and it is not the polices fault that these crimes are committed :rolleyes:

No. It was their fault that they didn't do their job and catch the known criminals.
Try reading.

I said the consistent factor was the lack of police action.

No. It was their fault that they didn't do their job and catch the known criminals.

take your own advice re reading - police cant deal with crimes unless they are reported - they are not psychics. in both matter the victims did not come forward till now. was jimmy saville a 'known criminal' back then einstein?
take your own advice re reading - police cant deal with crimes unless they are reported - they are not psychics. in both matter the victims did not come forward till now. was jimmy saville a 'known criminal' back then einstein?

Actually, he was known to be sex offender back in the 80's. That is why he was never recommended for a knighthood despite all of the charity work he was doing.

Another good example of Police incompetence would be when Tory MP Peter Morrison was found cottaging with underage boys in a toilet and was given a caution.

http://www.nickdavies.net/1998/04/01/the-sheer-scale-of-child-sexual-abuse-in-britain/

This was known about in 1998. Of course, no one did anything.

Maybe, people like you, should stop creating excuses for the Police and allowing Pedophiles to continue their crimes.
Original post by Safiya122
There probably are but that's just awful^

There almost certainly will be others, you're right; it's probably more a question of how many there are. A worrying predicament to say the least.
No, I really don't think there is.

The Police fail to prosecute for various idiotic reasons because they cannot do their job correctly. That encourages these groups to continue their behaviour.

In the case, of the Political groups and the Jimmy Saville case, it went further and parts of the police were clearly involved in the protection of these individuals.

There's a clear difference between abuse by groups of powerful individuals, and abuse by groups of people linked by being of mostly the same racial minority. It's true that in both cases the police may have been able to do more, but for other incidences of these to be identified and tackled, it needs to be looked at in its entirety and conflating different situations doesn't help with that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending