The Student Room Group

Advice needed on a failed suspension due to anxiety.

Hi TSR

I suffer from really bad episodic anxiety and this has caused me to suspend the second year of my degree. I started the second year again this September, this time with help from DSA and an Independent Student Learning Plan in place so that my tutors knew all about my condition. This year has been going much better than the last, although I do struggle to attend everyday I am in a lot more than the previous year and I'm up to date with all my work.

However I recently applied for a bursary from my University which is open to all students paying fees. The University got back to me and informed me that because I wasn't paying fees due to my previous year being REFERRED not suspended. I had sent all of the required information and was told that my suspension had been processed, never was I informed of anything different. My tutor said the reason they put me down as referred was due to me not providing a sick note in time, however I did provide a note and was never informed about any time frame to hand this in by. My tutor is claiming that this can't be changed and that I will be capped at 40% for all my work through this year with no chance to re-sit.

I've just got back from a meeting with my tutor and a member of the Universities admin staff and in which we discussed my option. I feel in the meeting I was put under huge pressure by my tutor to suspended study yet again due to my condition and felt that they were implying that if I didn't I would fail the year due to my attendance even though I didn't know this was possible.

The University is saying that they sent my two letters over the summer informing me of the referral and that I could re-sit all my modules over the summer and advance into the 3rd year. I never received these letters or any e-mail from the university about this.

Sorry for the wall of text but I am really at a loss on how to proceed with this matter. I just want to finish my degree with a decent mark and move on with my life but I feel the university and my tutors want rid of me. Has anyone been through anything similar or know anywhere I could turn for advice.
Have you spoken to the disability department / student support?
Reply 2
Thanks for your advice, I have contacted the student union and the disability team to arrange meetings for next week but with my deadlines coming up I have a feeling my course leader will just fail me on anything to exclude me from education for no real reason other then I have a disability.

It's not fair but judging by other posts I am not alone in this discrimination. I am really shocked at how I have treated and I am looking into making a formal complaint.
I've never posted on here before (well 4 times) but your post really spoke to me . I think I know how you feel.

PM me if you wanna chat, chatting might help. (I also stay up really late, ruminating.)
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest