The Student Room Group

Orthogonal coordinate system

Hi friends,

Show that the following co-ordinate systems are orthogonal and find the corresponding δrδu,δrδv,δrδw\left | \frac{\delta r}{\delta u} \right |, \left | \frac{\delta r}{\delta v} \right |, \left | \frac{\delta r}{\delta w} \right |.

ii. Prolate spheroidal co-ordinates:

x=a.sinhu.sinv.cosw,y=a.sinhu.sinv.sinw,z=a.coshu.cosvx = a.sinhu.sinv.cosw, y = a.sinhu.sinv.sinw, z = a.coshu.cosv

with aa constant. (included full stops to facilitate reading)

I had no problems with part i (parabolic coordinates). I'm unsure how to partially differentiate these x, y and z terms. the sinh and cosh terms have confused me.

Thanks !
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Kalapatato
Hi friends,

Show that the following co-ordinate systems are orthogonal and find the corresponding δrδu,δrδv,δrδw\left | \frac{\delta r}{\delta u} \right |, \left | \frac{\delta r}{\delta v} \right |, \left | \frac{\delta r}{\delta w} \right |.

ii. Prolate spheroidal co-ordinates:

x=a.sinhu.sinv.cosw,y=a.sinhu.sinv.sinwz=a.coshu.cosvx = a.sinhu.sinv.cosw, y = a.sinhu.sinv.sinw z = a.coshu.cosv

with aa constant. (included full stops to facilitate reading)

I had no problems with part i (parabolic coordinates). I'm unsure how to partially differentiate these x, y and z terms. the sinh and cosh terms have confused me.

Thanks !

coshu differentiates to sinhu
sinhu differentiates to coshu
Reply 2
Original post by TeeEm
coshu differentiates to sinhu
sinhu differentiates to coshu

Henceforth

δrδu=(a.coshu.sinv.cosw,a.coshu.sinv.sinw,a.sinhu.cosv)\left | \frac{\delta r}{\delta u} \right | = (a.coshu.sinv.cosw,a.coshu.sinv.sinw,-a.sinhu.cosv)

[br]δrδv=(a.sinhu.cosv.cosw,a.sinhu.cosv.sinw,a.coshu.sinv)[br] \left | \frac{\delta r}{\delta v} \right | = (a.sinhu.cosv.cosw,a.sinhu.cosv.sinw,-a.coshu.sinv)

and

δrδuδrδv\left | \frac{\delta r}{\delta u} \right | \cdot \left | \frac{\delta r}{\delta v} \right |

equals

a2.sinhu.coshu.sinv.cosv.cos2w+a2.sinu.coshu.sinv.cosv.sin2w+a2.sinhu.coshu.cosv.sinva^2.sinhu.coshu.sinv.cosv.cos^2w+a^2.sinu.coshu.sinv.cosv.sin^2w+a^2.sinhu.coshu.cosv.sinv

which should equal zero because the system is orthogonal. Unless i've done something wrong. How could i show this to equal zero?
Reply 3
Henceforth

δrδu=(a.coshu.sinv.cosw,a.coshu.sinv.sinw,a.sinhu.cosv)\left | \frac{\delta r}{\delta u} \right | = (a.coshu.sinv.cosw,a.coshu.sinv.sinw,-a.sinhu.cosv)

[br]δrδv=(a.sinhu.cosv.cosw,a.sinhu.cosv.sinw,a.coshu.sinv)[br] \left | \frac{\delta r}{\delta v} \right | = (a.sinhu.cosv.cosw,a.sinhu.cosv.sinw,-a.coshu.sinv)

and

δrδuδrδv\left | \frac{\delta r}{\delta u} \right | \cdot \left | \frac{\delta r}{\delta v} \right |

equals

a2.sinhu.coshu.sinv.cosv.cos2w+a2.sinu.coshu.sinv.cosv.sin2w+a2.sinhu.coshu.cosv.sinva^2.sinhu.coshu.sinv.cosv.cos^2w+a^2.sinu.coshu.sinv.cosv.sin^2w+a^2.sinhu.coshu.cosv.sinv

which should equal zero because the system is orthogonal. Unless i've done something wrong. How could i show this to equal zero?

I do not remember pro late.

Are the parametrics correct for the system?
Reply 4
Original post by TeeEm
I do not remember pro late.

Are the parametrics correct for the system?

There was a typo in the first post.

x=a.sinhu.sinv.coswx = a.sinhu.sinv.cosw

y=a.sinhu.sinv.sinwy = a.sinhu.sinv.sinw

z=a.coshu.cosv z = a.coshu.cosv
Henceforth

δrδu=(a.coshu.sinv.cosw,a.coshu.sinv.sinw,a.sinhu.cosv)\left | \frac{\delta r}{\delta u} \right | = (a.coshu.sinv.cosw,a.coshu.sinv.sinw,-a.sinhu.cosv) Check your sign for the last component, remember, derivative of cosh u is sinh u, not -sinh u.

~snip~

equals

Note the first two terms combine nicely. After doing that and fixing the sign error you should be done.
Reply 6

are you sure that x or y have not got a cosv?
Reply 7

it works

factorize out of the first component

then cos2w +sin2w and then you get exactly the same as the third but there is a minus in the third component so it dots to zero
Reply 8
Original post by TeeEm
it works

factorize out of the first component

then cos2w +sin2w and then you get exactly the same as the third but there is a minus in the third component so it dots to zero

Original post by DFranklin
Check your sign for the last component, remember, derivative of cosh u is sinh u, not -sinh u.

~snip~

Note the first two terms combine nicely. After doing that and fixing the sign error you should be done.

Thanks a lot !
Reply 9
Thanks a lot !

good luck

Quick Reply

Latest