The Student Room Group

A* in A-Level maths? HALP!

Hello all.

I'm a student in Year 12 who has started A Level maths this year and am very confused about what you need in order to get an A* overall. I'm doing all of A Level maths this year (since at my school we start further maths in Year 13) and I am doing modules C1,C2,C3,C4,M1 and M2 this year.

However, does anybody know what I need to get in each module for an A* overall? I've been hearing things about getting 80% average and 90% in C3 and C4 but I'm incredibly confused. Like what does this even mean? How many UMS points do you need in each module for an A*?

Any help will be much appreciated! X
Like the marks are not fixed for every exam as they can go lower or higher depending on how well students did
The marks per year vary, but you need 80/100 UMS average in C1 and 2 (edit: and your applied modules, so M1 and M2), and 90/100 UMS average in C3 and 4.

It's really difficult to say how many marks this will mean per paper. I did one past paper that required 62/72 (85%) for an A, and another that required 54/72 (75%). It also varies wildly for your applied modules, for instance most MEI D1 papers only ask for 57/72 (79%) for an A, and often it's lower than that.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by loperdoper
The marks per year vary, but you need 80/100 UMS average in C1 and 2, and 90/100 UMS average in C3 and 4.

Nah, it's 80% average over the full A-Level (not necessarily over C1 and C2) and 90% average over C3 and C4. :smile:

(In terms of UMS)
Original post by usycool1
Nah, it's 80% average over the full A-Level (not necessarily over C1 and C2) and 90% average over C3 and C4. :smile:

(In terms of UMS)

Oh, sorry
OP, I stand corrected.
My teacher told me an overall A in the A level with 90% UMS in C3 and C4
Original post by usycool1

(In terms of UMS)

So can you get 90% on 1 and 2 then 80% on 3 and 4 for an A*?
"So can you get 90% on 1 and 2 then 80% on 3 and 4 for an A*?"

No you can't. You need a total of at least 480 UMS in the six modules with 180 or more of those in C3 and C4 (the A2 units).
Basically you just need to worry about your Core 3 and Core 4 for an A*. 90% AVERAGE in those for the A*. Along with 80% over all 6 modules but that usually follows since C3/C4 tend to be the hardest and they've already bumped you up since you got 90% in them.
Reply 9
Original post by physicalgraffiti

However, does anybody know what I need to get in each module for an A* overall?

At least 480/600 UMS in the A level (so an average of an A), including at least 180/200 in C3 and C4. That's it.
Thank you everyone for the responses! This has cleared everything up a lot :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest