The Student Room Group

Mechanical Engineering

How demanding is this course? I am predicted a C for physics and a D for maths but aiming to get two Bs. Is it possible to do for me?

What does it involve? What are job prospects like? It is in demand and is it very competative?

I'm thinking of Hertfordshire University.

Any tips or advice would be grand!!
You might also want to look at Foundation years, but only a few will accept you because you are taking maths/phys.
I know Manchester/Brunel do for certain
Reply 2
Original post by Flux_Dubstep
You might also want to look at Foundation years, but only a few will accept you because you are taking maths/phys.
I know Manchester/Brunel do for certain

What do you think of Hertfordshire University?
Original post by Erulia
What do you think of Hertfordshire University?

I haven't applied so can't comment. I know somebody doing aersospace at Herts, and they seem to be enjoying it
Reply 4
Original post by Erulia
How demanding is this course?

it's quite demanding not going to lie.

Original post by Erulia

I am predicted a C for physics and a D for maths but aiming to get two Bs. Is it possible to do for me?

You can do it if you work hard. It's good to see more girls like yourself continuing to be interested in engineering :colondollar:

Don't give up! Good luck :smile:

Original post by Erulia

What does it involve?

learning to apply your knowledge of physics and maths to solve complex real life problems.

Original post by Erulia

What are job prospects like? It is in demand and is it very competative?

Very good job prospects and can be quite competitive.

Original post by Erulia

I'm thinking of Hertfordshire University.

Great, do you like the modules? Do they suit your specific interests? Do you like the campus and atomsphere? Only you can answer those. Any more questions just ask :wink:
Reply 5
Original post by a10
__

Hey there, thank you for answering my queries they were very helpful.

If you dont mind I have a few more to ask!

How physical is mechanical engineering? Like how many practicals are involved and such? I don't know if that makes any sense.

What kind of work ex. is it possible to get for mecheng? I assume it can be very competative though. I live in Cambridge so it would be full of undergrads aha.

How easy is it to transfer from a BEng into a MEng? I understand that to be a charted engineer you need a masters or equivalent. I can only really apply to BEngs at university though due to my low grades (Predicted BCD). Are there alternatives to doing the MEng and still getting jobs in the engineering field?

Thank you!!
Reply 6
Original post by Erulia
Hey there, thank you for answering my queries they were very helpful.

If you dont mind I have a few more to ask!

How physical is mechanical engineering? Like how many practicals are involved and such? I don't know if that makes any sense.

The only physical practical I did tbh involved learning how to use milling, lathe and cnc machines. We had a scrap piece of cheap steel and made some parts from given engineering drawings however this was just so we all have an appreciation of how the machines worked...was nothing too difficult.

Usually technicians are there supervising you in case you do something wrong but I only had to do this once in the whole term so you probably wont encounter much of it.

Original post by Erulia
What kind of work ex. is it possible to get for mecheng? I assume it can be very competative though. I live in Cambridge so it would be full of undergrads aha.

At your stage I wouldn't worry about work experience it's not necessary but if you can secure one then by all means do it :smile:

Original post by Erulia
How easy is it to transfer from a BEng into a MEng? I understand that to be a charted engineer you need a masters or equivalent.

I cant say its easy or hard that just depends on the individual. If you work hard it is certainly doable.

Tbh though the whole chartered engineer stuff is overrated it really isn't a necessity to become a chartered engineer. A lot of companies recruit a lot of BEng graduates each year and if they want you to be chartered they often offer training schemes anyway to get you on your way to being chartered.

Having spoken to quite a few people in industry most of them (the engineers) didn't really care if they were chartered or not and they certainly didn't portray it to be highly necessary...its more of a way for universities to get more money sadly. Don't get me wrong though being chartered does have its advantages :smile:

Original post by Erulia
I can only really apply to BEngs at university though due to my low grades (Predicted BCD). Are there alternatives to doing the MEng and still getting jobs in the engineering field?

Thank you!!

Engineering gives you diverse skills especially a broad discipline like mechanical. You can get into a lot of careers outside of engineering as well as in engineering.

With your grades though I would probably recommend you do an engineering foundation especially if the B grade isn't in maths because you will struggle. If you can make it onto a BEng programme then great you can avoid the foundation programme.

Quick Reply

Latest