The Student Room Group

Doing dentistry after completing medicine, in the UK?

I hope everyone is doing fine here

I recently completed MBBS degree in asia. and have a degree in Physics from Caltech. But now I realise I want a career in dentistry, so I want to study dentistry. however, I will have to stay in the UK, so I was wondering will i be at a disadvantage to UK applicants?

because someone asked why i am hopping to different degrees is because I found out dentistry pays more so I want to do that now

Thank you
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Safiya122
good luck with it :smile:

thank you and what are you studying?
Reply 2
i'm studying behavioural sciences :smile:

ok and do you think it will be more difficult for me to be accepted for dentistry as I am wanting to go to barts dental school
Original post by esfan22
ok and do you think it will be more difficult for me to be accepted for dentistry as I am wanting to go to barts dental school

I think it could be like I guess it really depends on what sort of education you received there to here..if that makes sense
Reply 4
I think it could be like I guess it really depends on what sort of education you received there to here..if that makes sense

what is considered by the institute?
Original post by esfan22
what is considered by the institute?

sorry, i don't really know. i guess it depends where you apply to
OP, on the actual topic of your questions, as so many have failed to grasp:

You would probably have to apply as a graduate, not an undergraduate, I'm not sure how many universities offer graduate courses so you may have to apply to undergrad. It depends entirely what you got in your degree as well, but I think you should look at the universities you want to go to for their requirements as I'm guessing international students will have a different application process (such as, not doing certain exams etc)
Reply 7
Why the change in heart? You're definitely a special case when it comes to applicants, either way you won't be able to apply until the next application cycle now, why are you hopping from degree to degree lol.
I've tidied this thread. Please keep on topic.

Neostigmine
Reply 9
Original post by Blobar
Why the change in heart? You're definitely a special case when it comes to applicants, either way you won't be able to apply until the next application cycle now, why are you hopping from degree to degree lol.

because I found out dentistry pays more so I want to do that now. or I will try become a maxillofacial surgeon,
Original post by esfan22
because I found out dentistry pays more so I want to do that now. or I will try become a maxillofacial surgeon,

I highly doubt any dentistry school would take you. A Dr already makes a lot,, after they go up the scale. I TBH doubt this is a good enough reason.
Reply 11
Original post by TheNoobishKnight
I highly doubt any dentistry school would take you. A Dr already makes a lot,, after they go up the scale. I TBH doubt this is a good enough reason.

but it is a good reason I am sure myself
Reply 12
Original post by esfan22

Pay in dentistry in UK is decreasing, by time you finish I'm guessing Dr's would be on par if not on more.
Original post by esfan22
I hope everyone is doing fine here

I recently completed MBBS degree in asia. and have a degree in Physics from Caltech. But now I realise I want a career in dentistry, so I want to study dentistry. however, I will have to stay in the UK, so I was wondering will i be at a disadvantage to UK applicants?

because someone asked why i am hopping to different degrees is because I found out dentistry pays more so I want to do that now

Thank you

You'd be crazy to do it and quite frankly the universities would be crazy to accept you with your record. Sorry to be harsh but your brief statement really calls into question your integrity.

I think you should stay in Asia and help people there where there's a shortage of doctors.
Reply 14
Original post by muchomungo
You'd be crazy to do it and quite frankly the universities would be crazy to accept you with your record. Sorry to be harsh but your brief statement really calls into question your integrity.

I think you should stay in Asia and help people there where there's a shortage of doctors.

I dont understand why they would be crazy?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
I dont know why people are saying I am not person of integrity?
No thanks jeff, stay in Asia
Original post by esfan22

It is highly taboo to talk about wanting to make money through healthcare related fields. People place high trust in their doctors and dentists and don't want someone who is thinking of money rather than patient health taking care of their families. Would you?
Original post by esfan22

Because someone who has a Physics degree from Caltech and an MBBS isn't naive enough to pursue a career in dentistry with the reason 'the pay is good'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Exceptional
Because someone who has a Physics degree from Caltech and an MBBS isn't naive enough to pursue a career in dentistry with the reason 'the pay is good'.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think the OP is a troll tbh.

Latest