The Student Room Group

I'm 31, and have no physical attraction for women 21+ is this common?

I'm writing this post because for some time now, I've been having a problem and I wanted to see what other guys had to say on the subject.

Here it is, the issue. I look 24 (But I'm 31) and I am quite a good looking guy, look after myself.

What I'm experiencing is an exclusive attraction for women who are between 18-21, basically university years. I have tried to date women around 25+ but it felt like there was no physical interest inside of me towards these women. On the plus side, I visit student nightclubs a couple of nights a week and have one night stands on a regular basis however I want these girls to become a girlfriend, am I kidding myself?

I just want your opinion on what you suggest someone like me could do and whether or not you felt the same at my age and eventually grew to find older women attractive?

Naturally this matters because I worry that one day these young women will not want me and I will be lonely unable to be sexually attracted to women in my age range, even now a 26 year old is 6 years younger than me, however in my eyes she is old.

What do you suggest?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I was almost very worried till you clarified that restriction as 18 and over too

*phew*
Original post by Inazuma
I was almost very worried till you clarified that restriction as 18 and over too

*phew*

Yess exactly... I saw it was like da ***? Until he said the age restriction, thats when I could breathe again
Reply 3
It sounds like you're not ready to have a proper relationship and just want to party. Nothing wrong with that, just be aware the older you get the weirder it is.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I'm writing this post because for some time now, I've been having a problem and I wanted to see what other guys had to say on the subject.

Here it is, the issue. I look 24 (But I'm 31) and I am quite a good looking guy, look after myself.

What I'm experiencing is an exclusive attraction for women who are between 18-21, basically university years. I have tried to date women around 25+ but it felt like there was no physical interest inside of me towards these women. On the plus side, I visit student nightclubs a couple of nights a week and have one night stands on a regular basis however I want these girls to become a girlfriend, am I kidding myself?

I just want your opinion on what you suggest someone like me could do and whether or not you felt the same at my age and eventually grew to find older women attractive?

Naturally this matters because I worry that one day these young women will not want me and I will be lonely unable to be sexually attracted to women in my age range, even now a 26 year old is 6 years younger than me, however in my eyes she is old.

What do you suggest?

The fact that you prefer younger women is not a bad thing, that's no different to having a thing for big breasts rather than small. The fact that you want a relationship with these girls is also not a bad thing, it may be that you are simply attracted to people who are care free and not stressing about careers.

The weird things though (and you do have problems here) are the fact that you seem to have no attraction to those of a similar age to you at all. It's normal to have a preference, it's not good if it's at the extent that you have to write people off automatically. Secondly, frequenting student bars is a little weird. Surely better to get your 18 year old and take her somewhere classy.
Reply 5
Original post by Guy Secretan
Yeah it may be strange going to student events but what is the obsession with money, A 20 yr old woman would probably rather go out with a good looking 31 yr old than an ugly 21 yr old. If you look at Bradley Cooper, Ryan Philippe, Leonardo Dicaprio it's not uncommon for men to find a 21 yr old more attractive than a 31 yr old.

I think what she is referring to is the fact that if money is involved your not a pervert LOL

but if its not then its wrong, so she is putting a price on who us men can and can't date based on the size of our bank balance, I think that's perverted if you ask me.
it's called being a lad

Who doesn't want a young fit gf. Ultimate players card brah!
Reply 7
Original post by Rakas21
The fact that you prefer younger women is not a bad thing, that's no different to having a thing for big breasts rather than small. The fact that you want a relationship with these girls is also not a bad thing, it may be that you are simply attracted to people who are care free and not stressing about careers.

The weird things though (and you do have problems here) are the fact that you seem to have no attraction to those of a similar age to you at all. It's normal to have a preference, it's not good if it's at the extent that you have to write people off automatically. Secondly, frequenting student bars is a little weird. Surely better to get your 18 year old and take her somewhere classy.

Thanks for taking the time to write a respond to this thread. I must sound completely bonkers. It's not something that I am happy to admit, just that I seem to attracted to this age, I'm not sure where this will all end up, you mentioned taking a girl to somewhere classy, is that what she would want though, I mean I could and have done that in the past but it didnt go down too well.

The reason that I go student clubs and take girls on dates to student bars is because I thought that this is the place where they would feel most comfortable, not for my benefit. I'll have to rethink what I am doing, ideally a girl whos just about to finish uni and is mature would be ideal. I also married a girl when I was 24, who was 18 at the time and we have a 6 year son, so its what I am used to, my last serious relationship was at that point. I guess when it's no longer a mutual attraction I would call it a day.
You are clinging to your youth, the equivalent is a 31 year old woman going out to Oceana every night.

I understand why you don't want a girlfriend encumbered by the stress of a career. In some conceptions of the ideal relationship, it is for the man to get on and work and for the woman to have a zest for life which excites and energises him, I.e. traditional gender roles. I can certainly sympathise with that, when my girlfriend comes home from work stressed I am moved to feel like it's unbecoming, miserable and masochistic for a girl to be so stressed - that's the man's burden to shoulder, surely.
Thanks for taking the time to write a respond to this thread. I must sound completely bonkers. It's not something that I am happy to admit, just that I seem to attracted to this age, I'm not sure where this will all end up, you mentioned taking a girl to somewhere classy, is that what she would want though, I mean I could and have done that in the past but it didnt go down too well.

The reason that I go student clubs and take girls on dates to student bars is because I thought that this is the place where they would feel most comfortable, not for my benefit. I'll have to rethink what I am doing, ideally a girl whos just about to finish uni and is mature would be ideal. I also married a girl when I was 24, who was 18 at the time and we have a 6 year son, so its what I am used to, my last serious relationship was at that point. I guess when it's no longer a mutual attraction I would call it a day.

Sounds like a psychological thing, clinging onto the past. I can understand if you said women in their late 20s- early 30s because that's when age is most likely to start to show but there is little difference in looks from 20-25. If you would a approach a girl you thought was 18 and she turned out to be 25 and then reject her because of it, it's not a physical thing is it?

Unless of course you're not being honest with yourself and you find 18-20 more attractive because they look more fresh from school but are legal :s-smilie:
dont be hard on yourself - you can like whatever type of women you want. you are just being affected because society today thinks in a certain way - exactly 2 generations ago, 30 year olds married 17 year old, it was perfectly normal...

its just looked down upon by people stuck in a box - but if you connect with someone, thats what matters, and its not a one sided thing where you manipulated the other person in a way or overpowered them (you have to be honest with yourself here).

What do you suggest?
Original post by Foo.mp3
That's kind of the point. Relative abundance. Older guys with nouse, experience, interest/intrique and, critically, maturity/stability and a far stronger sense of self, are relatively scarce, this makes us a relatively prized commodity. It's basic economics :rolleyes:

Depends on the guy tbh

Depends on the guy tbh. I dated a 19 year old Russian chick earlier this year. Also hooked up with a 22 year old (from TSR in fact) not so long ago. Wasn't anything creepy about either, at all

Depends on the guy tbh (I'm not in the least bit wealthy)

No, perhaps you could enlighten us :h:

True, and your responses did make me chuckle.. you kinda owned the guy, but your comments are slightly misdirected and OTT

He's not enabling anything, the OP is going to do as he pleases regardless of what any of us say, he seems to be wired that way

I'd rather settle with a girl whom won't age for another 10-20 years than one whom is about to, given the choice

Spoiler

I’m not convinced he’s all that interested in meeting ‘nice’ girls being as his lifestyle seems to revolve around banging these young broads (in which case student clubs must be the place to go) :beard:

Don't really see why really, so long as he's not being a creeper. Why hold someone else's personal choices when it comes to mating/dating against them if everyone is consenting and everyone is happy? (unless you're jealous/butthurt) :holmes:

1. Men and women are not the same, so it is in no way equivalent

2. It's not called Oceana anymore :danceboy:

Agreed, especially when kids come into the equation. Does neither parent, nor offspring, any good (speaking from personal experience + recognition of the stats/related health and welfare literature)

lol Foo. I like 99% of your posts so we will have to agree to disagree on this one.
Reply 12
How do you even tell between 21 and 25?
I also married a girl when I was 24, who was 18 at the time and we have a 6 year son, so its what I am used to, my last serious relationship was at that point.

So he actually did dump her when she hit the 'expiry date'... :facepalm2:
So long as it is mutual and legal, who cares? Keep safe and have fun.

I personally would not worry on it. You may grow out of this preference, you may not. I am not going into delve into all the psychological possibilities because frankly, I highly doubt anyone here is qualified to do so.

The whole 'gold digger/pervert' discussion is frankly amusing. You would have thought that people would have grown up enough by now to realise that as you get older, any age gap between the legal participants of a relationship matters less and less. So long as there is open communication, honesty and trust, what's the issue?
Original post by Foo.mp3
That's kind of the point. Relative abundance. Available, interested, older guys with nouse, experience, interest/intrigue and, critically, maturity/stability, a far stronger sense of self and higher security value e.g. paternalistic/bread winner credentials, are relatively scarce; this makes us a relatively prized commodity. It's basic economics :rolleyes:

Depends on the guy tbh

Depends on the guy tbh

e.g. I dated a 19 year old Russian chick earlier this year. Also hooked up with a 22 year old (from TSR in fact) not so long ago. Wasn't anything creepy about either, at all

Depends on the guy tbh

e.g. I'm not even technically independent, never mind wealthy

No, perhaps you could enlighten us :h:

True, and your responses did make me chuckle.. you kinda owned the guy, but your comments are slightly misdirected and OTT

He's not enabling anything, the OP is going to do as he pleases regardless of what any of us say, he seems to be wired that way

I'd rather settle with a girl whom won't age for another 10-20 years than one whom is already beginning to, given the choice

Spoiler

I’m not convinced he’s all that interested in meeting ‘nice’ girls being as his lifestyle seems to revolve around banging these young broads (in which case student clubs must be the place to go) :beard:

Don't really see why really, so long as he's not being a creeper. Why hold someone else's personal choices when it comes to mating/dating against them if everyone is consenting and everyone is happy? (unless you're jealous/butthurt) :holmes:

1. Men and women are not the same, so it is in no way equivalent

2. It's not called Oceana anymore :danceboy:

Agreed, especially when kids come into the equation. Does neither parent, nor offspring, any good (speaking from personal experience + a learned appreciation of the stats/related health and welfare literature)

I'm not going to lie, I prefer older guys. They know stuff :colone:
I'd say it's quite regular, I prefer younger women to my age (I'm not old at all, but I prefer 18+) there's a socio-evolutionary precedence for wanting younger women too.
I guess it depends on your preference but if you are are getting older and exlusively target those women in that age group I would say you have a big problem. For the very fact that you are going to clubs to find those girls of that age groups says it that you are targetting them. You won't be able to do it forever. Oh and as someone mentioned you may have issues with having a normal relationship. You've not stated enough about yourself to say this is true or not however.
Original post by AntisthenesDogger
I'd say it's quite regular, I prefer younger women to my age (I'm not old at all, but I prefer 18+) there's a socio-evolutionary precedence for wanting younger women too.

I didn't know you was 31
Original post by Princess31
I didn't know you was 31

I'm not.

Latest

Trending

Trending