The Student Room Group

personal statement good idea?

Is it good to write something along the lines of 'this is why I want to study at (your) university' is there a point in writing YOUR? I feel it makes it more personal but they will know they're not the only ones I've applied to :s-smilie:
Depends someone may tell you the total opposite to what I say. I wouldn't advise using it throughout, but maybe at the end. The way I personally view it is you're applying to study a course you are passionate about, they want to see you're passionate about studying. They won't be as bothered about you being passionate about studying at that university.

Someone else will probably have a more useful answer but that's the way I see it. If it's just something you add into a closing statement or something don't worry about it.
Reply 2
If I were a university admissions tutor I wouldn't think there was anything wrong with a single use in the closing paragraph, as the above poster mentioned. I would understand what you meant.

At the same time, if you think it's risky, I'm not sure it adds or subtracts much to the message either way. There are different ways to say the same sort of thing in a positive way:

"I am certain a university course will provide me with these opportunities."
"I look forward to third-level study in this subject with confidence."

etc.

You say it adds a more personal touch, and I agree that it does. It addresses the reader. BUT it adds a personal touch to what is otherwise an impersonal document - you're talking about yourself and your reasons for studying your subject. It seems a little farcical to me then to end on a personal note.

Put simply, you're saying "This is why I'd like to study at YOUR university", after you've only explained why you want to study at ANY university, and not specifically theirs.

Quick Reply

Latest