The Student Room Group

Offers for other courses

Hello,
I have applied to 4 universities and have received all offers. I have had a slight problem with one of my choices. I have applied for one course ( the course I wanted to do) and received an offer for a slightly different course.

I'm slightly annoyed as I wanted to do the course that I applied for. Also, the course that I have been offered has one grade lower entry requirements meaning that It's changed my original plan for firm and insurance, as my insurance is the same as my offer. Also, I think that it's odd to have received a different offer without even receiving an E-mail or any indication that they were considering offering a different course.

Anyway, is this to likely have happened because they don't believe I will receive the required grade (despite being predicted them) or is it maybe some sort of mix up?
Reply 1
I know someone who applied for geography a couple of years ago and got an offer back for another course because the geography course had no places left, so that could be what has happened to you but I'm not sure. I would confirm it with the university and ask them what's happened. :smile:
Original post by Its Andy
Hello,
I have applied to 4 universities and have received all offers. I have had a slight problem with one of my choices. I have applied for one course ( the course I wanted to do) and received an offer for a slightly different course.

I'm slightly annoyed as I wanted to do the course that I applied for. Also, the course that I have been offered has one grade lower entry requirements meaning that It's changed my original plan for firm and insurance, as my insurance is the same as my offer. Also, I think that it's odd to have received a different offer without even receiving an E-mail or any indication that they were considering offering a different course.

Anyway, is this to likely have happened because they don't believe I will receive the required grade (despite being predicted them) or is it maybe some sort of mix up?

Usually this will be done if you would have received a rejection for the course you applied to.

Instead of outright saying no they make an offer for a course with lower requirements and/or less demand. If you'd like them to reconsider you for the original course then you can get in touch to say so (I'm surprised they didn't write to explain the changed course offer - that's bad manners). Chances are they'll say that they can't make an offer for that original choice but it wont hurt to ask.

If they wont change their mind then you have plenty of time (5 months!) to pick your firm/insurance. Don't be driven by offer grades when deciding - they're genuinely just a bargaining tool - pick the uni you most want to go to as your firm and somewhere else you'd be happy to go for your insurance. It's better to have a F/I with the same grades than to put a university you don't want to attend as insurance.
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
Usually this will be done if you would have received a rejection for the course you applied to.

Instead of outright saying no they make an offer for a course with lower requirements and/or less demand. If you'd like them to reconsider you for the original course then you can get in touch to say so (I'm surprised they didn't write to explain the changed course offer - that's bad manners). Chances are they'll say that they can't make an offer for that original choice but it wont hurt to ask.

If they wont change their mind then you have plenty of time (5 months!) to pick your firm/insurance. Don't be driven by offer grades when deciding - they're genuinely just a bargaining tool - pick the uni you most want to go to as your firm and somewhere else you'd be happy to go for your insurance. It's better to have a F/I with the same grades than to put a university you don't want to attend as insurance.

Thanks for clearing that up!

I kind of feared that was the case. One thing that casted doubt was that somebody that I know applied for the same course as me and was told before he received the offer that he would get offered a different course. They also told him that it was due to his predicted grades not being high enough. I found it slightly weird that they would do the same thing to me (although they have offered me a different course) without telling me or giving me a reason.

By the way thanks for your advice on F/I as well. I know I have a while to choose, but I was struggling to decide my insurance between a university I really want to go and one with one grade less.
Reply 4
I got an Email today from the university. The email said that they have offered me what I applied for. I assume that the original offer was just an admin error, as it has now been corrected on UCAS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending