The Student Room Group

Is it a bit late to apply to universities now?

title + I'd want to defer so is there any point me applying now (have I left it a tad late?) or should I apply during my gap
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Unis take in application for all entries until the mid of January ...so I dont think you are late..
You have until January 15th to apply, as long as you aren't wanting to go to Oxford, Cambridge or do medicine/vet med!
Reply 3
Wanting to do law and few of my friends are saying that I've perhaps left it a bit late, are they wrong?
Original post by TouchtheOoo
Wanting to do law and few of my friends are saying that I've perhaps left it a bit late, are they wrong?

Yes they are. Plenty of people apply after christmas.

You'll need to make sure you've got your PS all sorted and your referee has time to write your reference but getting your application in by the deadline (15 Jan) will be absolutely fine.

In many ways it's better to apply later:yes:
Reply 5

As long as you don't want to apply to Oxbridge, you'll be fine. Unis have to give equal consideration to anyone who applies by January 15th - some people think it's "first come, first served" but they are wrong.

You need to speak to your tutor asap as they need to write you a reference, and they need time to write a good one. You also need to write a personal statement and consider where you are applying to.
title + I'd want to defer so is there any point me applying now (have I left it a tad late?) or should I apply during my gap

As long as you apply before Jan 15 it's ok. I would strongly suggest applying this year for deferred entry rather than next year though, as starting a uni application next year is probably the last thing you'll want to do, and it will be out of the way and free from your mind!!
Reply 7
Jan 15th is the final deadline, and even then there are situations where late appliers can get in. A friend of mine is doing Accounting at Dundee and applied just before the May exams this year, to start uni in September of this year. You may be losing the advantage of early application but you'll still be considered by most unis.
Reply 8
As long as you don't want to apply to Oxbridge, you'll be fine. Unis have to give equal consideration to anyone who applies by January 15th - some people think it's "first come, first served" but they are wrong.

As offers have already gone out to thousands of candidates, it's hard to see that it's not first come first served.

It's certainly not too late to apply though.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TeacherP
As offers have already gone out to thousands of candidates, it's hard to see that it's not first come first served.

It's certainly not too late to apply though.

Only if you don't understand how university admissions works.

read: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2497135

NOOO! Uni's will accept applications until January, my friend is taking a gap year and they she got advised to apply this year :smile:
last year there loads of spare places in clearing including Law so obviously there are going to be unis with spare places up until the deadline. 3 years ago I attended an open day at Durham. They explained they made offers or rejections to most of their applicants early. A third group those who may or not have offers were held back to allow for applicants applying close to the deadline. If the later applications were better than those they were holding they were made offers and the original was rejected. If the original was better than the late the early offer was accepted and the late one rejected so it is not too late to apply

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending