The Student Room Group

should i apply for dsa?

hi there - any help would be appreciated!

i'm in year 13 in a rural town in lincolnshire. i've just sent off my ucas form and got a conditional place to a uni i love, which is brilliant. however i'm just wondering if i should apply for dsa, and if so, how to get the process started.

i have been diagnosed (literally on monday) with bipolar ii affective disorder - i'm currently in a depressed state. my psychiatrist wants me to go on lithium medication, which includes having an ecg and blood tests monthly etc for a minimum of two years, beginning after christmas.

however, i spoke to my head of sixth form and she said not to bother, because i'm "bright", i wouldn't get much help, and apparently "you wouldn't tell a university if you had backache, so why tell them about bipolar disorder?" :colone:

any advice would be welcome! i personally think i should go for it - at the very least, i could get a lightbox, as my psychiatrist suggested - however an outsider's opinion would be more than welcome right now! thank you!
(edited 9 years ago)
You are being told rubbish by the head of sixth form. It's sod all to do with being bright.

You are entitled to apply for DSA because you have a long term illness / disability which may affect your ability to study.

I don't know your situation; but you may get things like a note taker / dictaphone, a study mentor, etc.

You need to supply medical evidence which explains how your disability affects your ability to study.

DSA won't pay for everyday disability costs, such as medication, hospital vists, etc. It's purely for study related vosts because you have a disability.
What a stupid head of sixth form.
Reply 3
With all due respect to your head of 6th form, this person, in all probability, knows very little of your condition & what specific challenges to study it may bring. If I were you I would apply, it certainly can't hurt to do so & you never know what help it may be to overcome issues further down the line that you may not have encountered yet.
Ok, people like your head of sixth form annoy me. Your university (where ever you end up going) will be very considerate of your situation. It's always best to tell them so they can support you, and you've got nothing to lose by applying for
DSA. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending