The Student Room Group

As Maths Differentiation

A container made from thin metal is in the shape of a rigth circular cylinder with height h cm and base radius r cm. The container has no lid. When full of water, the container holds 500cm3 of water.

Show that the exterior surface area, A cm^2, of the container is given by:

A = 'pi' r ^ 2 + 1000 / r

The question i am stuck on is "find the value of r which A is a minimum"

Scroll to see replies

What have you done so far?
Reply 2
and we know that volume = h x pir^2 = 500

sub into area

Reply 3
Original post by loperdoper
What have you done so far?

not quite sure how to do the next step though :/
Original post by Nelson199
not quite sure how to do the next step though :/

Considering this is a differentiation question, have you calculated dAdr\frac{dA}{dr}?
Reply 5
Im not sure what i'm doing from here on aha I've totally lost what i should be doing :/
Im not sure what i'm doing from here on aha I've totally lost what i should be doing :/

You need to calculate dAdr\frac {dA}{dr}

It might be easier if you replace "A" with "y" and "r" with "x" to help you visualise it.
Reply 7
ah okay I'll try that but this whole thing has confused me haha what answer do you end up with? I keep messing up somewhere
ah okay I'll try that but this whole thing has confused me haha what answer do you end up with? I keep messing up somewhere

So once you have your differentiated equation, you need to use it to find a stationary point (which you can then determine as a point of inflection, maximum or minimum).

Do you know how to find a stationary point?
Reply 9
So once you have your differentiated equation, you need to use it to find a stationary point (which you can then determine as a point of inflection, maximum or minimum).

Do you know how to find a stationary point?

I don't think im differentiating correctly. I missed a few lessons on it :/

does this become 2piR + ??? i dont know how to differentiate this section
I don't think im differentiating correctly. I missed a few lessons on it :/

does this become 2piR + ??? i dont know how to differentiate this section

Yep, your first part is right. Do you know the general rule for differentiating?

It may help to rewrite the second part as 1000r11000r^{-1}
Reply 11
I thought it was that but i wasn't sure. Okay so i had that but this is where i think i am going wrong. What should i be doing after this step?
I thought it was that but i wasn't sure. Okay so i had that but this is where i think i am going wrong. What should i be doing after this step?

What have you got now then?
Reply 13
What have you got now then?

I have 2piR+1000r^-1
I have 2piR+1000r^-1

Not quite - 1000r11000r^{-1} is just a rewrite of 1000r\frac {1000}{r}, you need to then differentiate it.
Reply 15
I somehow got the answer r= 2.06
Reply 16
Not quite - 1000r11000r^{-1} is just a rewrite of 1000r\frac {1000}{r}, you need to then differentiate it.

Ah yes i just did that i ended up with the answer 2.06 :/ if i didnt make a mistake i believe this is correct :biggrin: but i got -1000r^-2 i think aha
Ah yes i just did that i ended up with the answer 2.06 :/ if i didnt make a mistake i believe this is correct :biggrin: but i got -1000r^-2 i think aha

The differentiation is correct, but the answer is not what I have.

You should have then ended up with dAdr=2πr1000r2\frac{dA}{dr}=2 \pi r - 1000r^{-2} (or dAdr=2πr1000r2)\frac{dA}{dr}=2 \pi r - \frac {1000}{r^2})

To find a stationary point you need dAdr=0\frac{dA}{dr}=0. The stationary point can then be determined to be a minimum.

If you have done all that, then I'll need to see what you did to get to the answer.
Reply 18
The differentiation is correct, but the answer is not what I have.

You should have then ended up with dAdr=2πr1000r2\frac{dA}{dr}=2 \pi r - 1000r^{-2} (or dAdr=2πr1000r2)\frac{dA}{dr}=2 \pi r - \frac {1000}{r^2})

To find a stationary point you need dAdr=0\frac{dA}{dr}=0. The stationary point can then be determined to be a minimum.

If you have done all that, then I'll need to see what you did to get to the answer.

so i can rewrite this as equal 0. is that correct? and then i can just rearrange by moving thing to other sides?
(edited 9 years ago)
so i can rewrite this as equal 0. is that correct? and then i can just rearrange by moving thing to other sides?

Yep, that's exactly what you need to do.

Quick Reply

Latest