The Student Room Group

Matching university with Access results

Sorry if this comes over as elitist, but it has to be to make my point, really.

Assuming you're not restricted (by family etc.) to a limited number of local universities, do you consider it a given that you'll go to the university with the highest requirements that's open to you, or do you think that other considerations might outweigh the academic factors?

I'm possibly just having a fit of insecurity, but I'm conscious of advice articles on this site that mention not choosing your uni just on the basis of academic reputation, etc., etc. On the other hand, if your access course results are indicative of a high academic calibre, there is the worry that you'll feel like you've not made the most of it if you go to a uni and a lot of the other students on your course are significantly less academic than you are.
Reply 1
Unfortunately I am restricted to where I can apply due to family life BUT were I not...

I do not believe that I would automatically opt for the highest ranking, as a mature student I think that the 'fit' of the university is more important than for that of the average 18 year old. It just so happens that a lot of my locals are very competitive for places but I was able to write a couple of these off during open days as they just didn't feel right so I have applied to a couple that aren't known for being awful by any means but also aren't necessarily the most desirable. Luckily I have a strong distinction profile in subjects relevant to the degree courses for which I am applying so I haven't felt discouraged from applying to 'good' universities due to less than stellar grades.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. The simple answer to the academic aspect is to apply to my top choice and have a fallback option in there somewhere. I need to do more research, I suppose. But worth putting this thread out there to see what others' experiences are.

I understand where you're coming from in terms of fitting in. The mature student suitability aspect is a very difficult one to nail down. For example, Uni of Derby seems to have impressive stats re. mature students (the claim is something like 45% of their students are over 21), yet I went to their undergrad open day last Saturday and that just didn't come over. There didn't seem to be that many mature students there (most seemed to be teenagers with their parents), and there wasn't any kind of mature student talk put on at all (I know some uni open days do have them). So in terms of what's it going to be like as a mature student there, I wasn't really very reassured. I suppose, similar to what you experienced, the "vibe" didn't feel right. I hope you do find - if you haven't already - the right vibe from somewhere. Good luck!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
I know exactly what you mean! At Reading (who say 1 in 10 of home students is a mature student) I don't think I saw even one other mature prospective student. As it is my most local and doesn't require hours of commuting every day I am still applying although I did nearly write it off until I spoke to one of the lecturers. It's also worth seeking out on these boards current & past mature students from universities & departments within universities to which you are considering making applications. Best of luck with your choices :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by jimmy_looks_2ice
The simple answer to the academic aspect is to apply to my top choice and have a fallback option in there somewhere. I need to do more research, I suppose. But worth putting this thread out there to see what others' experiences are.

I guess the thing to remember is that this isn't a mature student issue - most applicants will have a preferred uni, and anything lower on their list will be the fallbacks. Unless you really are only prepared to consider one or two unis at all, the first choice on your UCAS list will be your ideal, the next couple will not be a total fit but will still give you some of the aspects you want, and the last two will be failsafes in case your results are lower than predicted. It's only folks who are either lucky or not that bothered, who can list two or more unis amongst which they have no particular favourite.

In my case, finances meant that I could only go to my local uni. My UCAS application listed that one uni.

I understand where you're coming from in terms of fitting in. The mature student suitability aspect is a very difficult one to nail down. For example, Uni of Derby seems to have impressive stats re. mature students (the claim is something like 45% of their students are over 21), yet I went to their undergrad open day last Saturday and that just didn't come over. There didn't seem to be that many mature students there (most seemed to be teenagers with their parents), and there wasn't any kind of mature student talk put on at all (I know some uni open days do have them). So in terms of what's it going to be like as a mature student there, I wasn't really very reassured. I suppose, similar to what you experienced, the "vibe" didn't feel right. I hope you do find - if you haven't already - the right vibe from somewhere. Good luck!

I think the best thing is to ignore the stats and go on gut feel when you visit - and maybe not get hung up on the 'mature student' label.

At my undergrad uni, they proudly announced that one-third of my department's intake were mature students. When I got there, I realised that they used 21 as the boundary age for the 'mature' label. I went to one meeting of the Mature Student Society and found a room full of people in their mid-twenties angsting about how they were too old and couldn't fit in! Being 44 at the time, I beat a hasty retreat, smiling gently :smile:

I loved my undergrad degree and I ended up the only older student on my course (the other one dropped out after the first year). I'll admit that the first year was a bit lonely, but I found that the trick was to be friendly and stay open, so that the younger cohort could just get used to me. It's an odd situation for them as well. By the time I came back for the start of my second year, I was just part of the furniture and included in the general banter and chat along with everyone else.
Reply 5
I completely understand where you are coming from! I feel exactly the same. If I got an offer from my local uni (not particularly high ranking) and a red brick to hours away I don't know what to choose. I am married (25) with a mortgage and if I choose the high ranking uni I will have to live away from my husband. The most logical thing to do would be to choose the local and stay at home but I feel I would be letting myself down if I achieved the grades for the high ranking uni and didn't go! Anyone else in the same situation? Anyone gone to uni at 25 and married?
Original post by jimmy_looks_2ice
do you consider it a given that you'll go to the university with the highest requirements

I just want to take you up on this point. Having the highest entry requirements doesn't mean that university is the most prestigious; it just means that course is more popular (and course popularity is usually driven but stupid things like number of nightclubs in the vicinity). Here's an example: you need ABB to study education at Brighton University, but only BBC to study at the Institute of Education in London, which is consistently ranked as the best place in the world to study education.

Only two universities in the country offer my degree so I didn't have the luxury of being picky. I chose the university that offered a more varied range of modules. Unfortunately that university is in London (my least favourite place) and it isn't particularly geared up to supporting mature students, but academics were the most important thing to me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending