The Student Room Group

ChemEng students/future students ... Help with AS & A2 subjects.

I'm hoping to study Chemical Engineering at uni. I've only made this decision a month ago so I'm stuck studying subjects that won't help me.
I study - Maths, Chemistry, Biology and French.

QUESTION 1 - Many uni's ask for Maths, Chemistry & another academic subject at A2. I HATE BIOLOGY! Only just realised now LOL *cries*. What would be seen as more academic - Biology or French? I really want to carry on French next year but I don't want it to reduce my chances if Biology would be better.

QUESTION 2 - I've been advised by a current ChemEng student to take up either AS Physics or Further Maths. Which would benefit me more?

Thanks in advance.
1) French is still seen as reasonably academic
2) Most forms of engineering require Physics, so I would guess that physics would be better as you have a bit more leeway should you want to change your engineering type at uni.
Reply 2
BUMP
Reply 3
So I guess nobody has anything useful to say ... :frown:
Reply 4
Take as physics if you can. But just look around cause I've seen some unis that only require maths and chemistry
And biology/French it won't matter which one you drop tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do further maths as maths a2 french physics and chem
Reply 6
Pretty weird that you don't have physics...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DeeAyy0000
BUMP

Hey what's up! I currently hold offers from Birmingham and Manchester for ChemEng. If I were you, I'd do my best to catch up on the Physics syllabus and do the AS this year and then carry on to do the full A level (something similar happened to me with Chemistry. I decided I wanted to do the subject in November, and got an A in my AS so it definitely wasn't too late). Maths, Chemistry and Physics is pretty much the standard combination every Chemical Engineer has. I'd definitely try at least Further Maths AS if you are aiming to get in a RG uni, or even the full A level if you think you're capable. I'm doing the full A level for FM in a year. Doing Biology will definitely increase your chances, as it is a strong science subject. French, on the other hand, is something you do because you enjoy, I don't think it'll increase your chances of getting an offer dramatically.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by BWV1007

Posted from TSR Mobile

Many unis don't explicitly state that you need Physics for Chemical Engineering. Maths & Chemistry are the requirements.
Reply 9
Original post by The Clockwork Apple
If I were you, I'd do my best to catch up on the Physics syllabus and do the AS this year and then carry on to do the full A level (something similar happened to me with Chemistry. I decided I wanted to do the subject in November, and got an A in my AS so it definitely wasn't too late).

My school won't allow me to pick up another AS at this stage. I'm hoping that an AS in Physics will be enough.

Maths, Chemistry and Physics is pretty much the standard combination every Chemical Engineer has. I'd definitely try at least Further Maths AS if you are aiming to get in a RG uni, or even the full A level if you think you're capable. I'm doing the full A level for FM in a year.

*sigh* Why do top unis such as Imperial only ask for Maths & Chemistry if they also know that Physics is essential?

I'll be taking an AS in Physics next year & I'll try to teach myself some FM. Hopefully it'll show how motivated I am to study the course.

Doing Biology will definitely increase your chances, as it is a strong science subject. French, on the other hand, is something you do because you enjoy, I don't think it'll increase your chances of getting an offer dramatically.

Then Biology it is ... :frown:
Most people I know currently applying for ChemEng/studying ChemEng took the same combination of subjects: Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics and/or Biology.

I would say that a Physics AS would be enough. In your case, I would take Biology instead of French as an extra science subject will put you in a higher position to be considered. However, French is regarded as a preferred/traditional subject by the RG unis. As long as you have Maths, Chemistry and Physics, that's pretty strong combination already.
Original post by BWV1007

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got offers at all the 5 unis I applied to for Chemical engineering without Physics at AS/A level, I asked whether it was needed on a few open days but they said it's not a problem that I didn't take it... I did get an A* in it at GCSE though
If it makes you feel better, I might study Engineering at university and I'm doing Economics, English Literature, History and Japanese!
Reply 13
Original post by LaurenB6579
I got offers at all the 5 unis I applied to for Chemical engineering without Physics at AS/A level, I asked whether it was needed on a few open days but they said it's not a problem that I didn't take it... I did get an A* in it at GCSE though

Is this a recent application? I got an A* in Physics at GCSE too. What A Levels did you do? And what unis did you apply too?
Reply 14
Original post by Edminzodo
If it makes you feel better, I might study Engineering at university and I'm doing Economics, English Literature, History and Japanese!

Are you sure that you'll be able to with these subjects?
Are you sure that you'll be able to with these subjects?

Yes! If I do a Foundation Year! :badger:
Is this a recent application? I got an A* in Physics at GCSE too. What A Levels did you do? And what unis did you apply too?

Yes I've only just applied this year to start next year... At AS level I took maths, chemistry, biology and computing, and I have dropped computing this year, I had a little bit of a bad exam season in the summer and got BCCC even though I was hoping for As, so doing several resits in the summer but I only got predicted BBB by my college because of it. The unis I applied to and offers I got are:
Chester: BBB for MEng
Lancaster: AAB for MEng and ABB for BEng
Manchester: my predicted grades were too low for starting MEng or BEng so they offered me the foundation year.
Newcastle: AAA
Teeside: got an interview however I ended up withdrawing my application as I didn't see the point travelling there for an interview to probably get an offer (I was told on the open day the interview was just an informal chat and once you've got an interview you've basically got an offer) then just decline it.
I've firmed Chester, not because I don't think I'm capable of getting As but because it was the uni which I think suited me the most.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest