The Student Room Group

Two benifits of having a kidney transplant over:

Dialysis..

" The table below shows the concentration of various solutes in dialysis fluid and in the blood plasma of the person with kidney faliure at the start of Dialysis:

Blood Plasma:
Sodium ions: 23
Glucose: 56
Urea: 129
Protein: 73

Dialysis fluid:
Sodium: 17
Urea: 0
Protein: 0

Well I know Protein is too large to pass through the membrane and Dialysis maintains the concentration of Urea but my question for my Homework is asking for two advantages based on the data above :/ only other thing I could think of was the concentration of sodium ion is much less than in the blood but other than that nope, minds blank, I'm wondering if its anything else...

IGCSE Human Biology.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by elmosandy
Dialysis..

1) We live in the 21st Century, Google is a thing.
2) Is it really that tricky to consider what the benefits of a small internal organ are over a large, stationary medical machine?
Yes :smile: I'm dumb :smile:

I just typed in "advantages of kidney transplants over dialysis machines" into Google and the very first result discusses the advantages and disadvantages. How hard are you actually trying?
Reply 3
Original post by Harvey Dent
I just typed in "advantages of kidney transplants over dialysis machines" into Google and the very first result discusses the advantages and disadvantages. How hard are you actually trying?

Oh crap I've just realised, I didn't put in the extra information..

Right for my Homework There's two tables:

" The table below shows the concentration of various solutes in dialysis fluid and in the blood plasma of the person with kidney faliure at the start of Dialysis:

Blood Plasma:

Dialysis fluid:

Well I know Protein is too large to pass through the membrane and Dialysis maintains the concentration of Urea but my question for my Homework is asking for two advantages based on the data above :/ ( only other thing I could think of was the concentration of sodium ion is much less than in the blood but other than that nope, minds blank, I'm wondering if its anything else, Should I just search on google for the advantages and pick out two then ?:smile: ... I'm dumb I told you :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
1) We live in the 21st Century, Google is a thing.
2) Is it really that tricky to consider what the benefits of a small internal organ are over a large, stationary medical machine?

" We live in the 21st Century, Google is a thing. " ?

Google, bing etc are all search engines? I searched for TSR on Google ???, pretty aware google and search engines are a thing, otherwise I wouldn't be on TSR not that dumb :3
(edited 9 years ago)
Oh crap I've just realised, I didn't put in the extra information..

Right for my Homework There's two tables:

Blood Plasma:

Dialysis fluid:

Well I know Protein is too large to pass through the membrane and Dialysis maintains the concentration of Urea but my question for my Homework is asking for two advantages based on the data above :/ only other thing I could think of was the concentration of sodium ion is much less than in the blood but other than that nope, minds blank, I'm wondering if its anything else, Should I just search on google for the advantages and pick out two then ?:smile: ... I'm dumb I told you :smile:

Ah, that changes things a lot. It's been a while since I've done anything like that, so I don't know if I can be much help. I take back my earlier comment and apologise for being dismissive.
Reply 6
Ah, that changes things a lot. It's been a while since I've done anything like that, so I don't know if I can be much help. I take back my earlier comment and apologise for being dismissive.

It's my fault for not putting the extra information in! Apology accepted, I guess, been searching on Google but nothing :/
Reply 7
BUMP
Reply 8
Bummmmmp
I don't understand the question, two advantages of a transplant over dialysis based on the figures above? You need more information about their immune systems ability to cope with suppression, feasibility of transplant etc.
Although, dialysis fluid needs more than the above, usually it contains important calcium and potassium.
Reply 11
Original post by That Bearded Man
I don't understand the question, two advantages of a transplant over dialysis based on the figures above? You need more information about their immune systems ability to cope with suppression, feasibility of transplant etc.

Well that's the question and it just says based on the data above state two advantages....

Take in note I'm only on IGCSE Level...
Reply 12
Although, dialysis fluid needs more than the above, usually it contains important calcium and potassium.

This is IGCSE Human Biology

In my IGCSE Human Biology course it hasn't stated that there's calcium and potassium...

Remember i'm only on IGCSE Level not A-Level or whatever
This is IGCSE Human Biology

In my IGCSE Human Biology course it hasn't stated that there's calcium and potassium...

Remember i'm only on IGCSE Level not A-Level or whatever

We didn't cover this stuff until A Level, so I can't really help you then.
Reply 14
We didn't cover this stuff until A Level, so I can't really help you then.

:/
(Original post by elmosandy)Well that's the question and it just says based on the data above state two advantages....

I did IGCSE biology 0610 from CIE ( now CAIE ) and the advantages of kidney transplant over dialysis is that a person doesn’t have to be on a restricted diet. Also a transplant is more comfortable than dialysis as dialysis might be painful. Disadvantages will be if the donor and the patients tissue types don’t match there is a chance of rejection. The person is more susceptible to opportunistic diseases as they’ll have to take immunosuppressants for the rest of their life.
I wrote this and got full marks
Cheers!

Quick Reply

Latest