The Student Room Group

Who feels that they will never be fully understood?

On the outside, I generally come across as a solid guy, average confidence, very intelligent, sharp, going places in life, but deep down, I have significant struggles with certain things, behaviours, self esteem etc.

The worst part of this, the combination of these little struggles and flaws are so complex that I can't imagine anyone else understanding what is going on in my mind? I am sceptical that even a professional counsellor or therapist would be able to understand the true extent of my problems.

Does anyone feel the same way?

How do you deal with the fact that you're pretty much left to yourself to fight your battles?

Scroll to see replies

Me. Every time I feel like someone finally understands me, they prove me wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous
On the outside, I generally come across as a solid guy, average confidence, very intelligent, sharp, going places in life, but deep down, I have significant struggles with certain things, behaviours, self esteem etc.

The worst part of this, the combination of these little struggles and flaws are so complex that I can't imagine anyone else understanding what is going on in my mind? I am sceptical that even a professional counsellor or therapist would be able to understand the true extent of my problems.

How do you deal with the fact that you're pretty much left to yourself to fight your battles?

Have you read any philosophy? A lot of the great philosophers were looking at these sorts of questions. I really do think it can help, at least to see what they had to say.
Reply 3
Original post by Mankytoes
Have you read any philosophy? A lot of the great philosophers were looking at these sorts of questions. I really do think it can help, at least to see what they had to say.

I am generally interested philosophy but haven't read in much detail.

Is there a particular phrase or name for that particular subset of philosophy so I can look it up?
Reply 4

Awwww how old are you?? Youre like my ex then... Thinks hes some next level gangster when in fact hes just a scared little boy in a big bad world..

Give me a message, tell me whats up and Ill help you as best as I can. Im going through alot more than you.
Reply 5
Original post by Afghan Warrior
Me. Every time I feel like someone finally understands me, they prove me wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:hugs: I know what you mean
We all see other people one dimensionally. Be honest - do you really truly understand anyone else? I don't think I even fully understand my parents once you get below the surface.

Sometimes I'm surprised by how perceptive people are, though. Never underestimate other people. The problem is that there simply isn't time to understand the details of another person's life the way they do. However, there are patterns that constantly repeat (as you would expect, with six billion people) - it's worth reading widely, because you might be surprised at how many problems are shared irrespective of space and time.

I like reading Marcus Aurelius' Meditations. Maybe it doesn't address the deeper philosophical points (and there are some weird views on metaphysics and women - unrelatedly), but it's basically a diary. It's quite calming to know that people were so similar 2000 years ago, and that they are all dead.
Original post by katbob
Awwww how old are you?? Youre like my ex then... Thinks hes some next level gangster when in fact hes just a scared little boy in a big bad world..

Give me a message, tell me whats up and Ill help you as best as I can. Im going through alot more than you.

well its been a while katboob
Original post by Octohedral
We all see other people one dimensionally. Be honest - do you really truly understand anyone else? I don't think I even fully understand my parents once you get below the surface.

Sometimes I'm surprised by how perceptive people are, though. Never underestimate other people. The problem is that there simply isn't time to understand the details of another person's life the way they do. However, there are patterns that constantly repeat (as you would expect, with six billion people) - it's worth reading widely, because you might be surprised at how many problems are shared irrespective of space and time.

I like reading Marcus Aurelius' Meditations. Maybe it doesn't address the deeper philosophical points (and there are some weird views on metaphysics and women - unrelatedly), but it's basically a diary. It's quite calming to know that people were so similar 2000 years ago, and that they are all dead.
wow you seem interesting
any other books your reccomend:?
No. You are continually going to be independent in pneuma to anyone else; related symptoms that lead to similar coincidences with others, yes but there is no formatting your self into a microcosm or a number of parts for people to discern you easily (well, if you're not entirely vapid)

One person has suggested Aurelius' 'Meditations' and I can share that sentiment, but I'd go farther and merely affirm to yourself to relative nature of being. Synchronicity comes out of repeated coincidences at the lowest level. Further examination shows it is the utter power of the sheer number of coincidences that leads one to the idea that synchronicity is guided by something more than chance. Therefore, synchronicity ends up invalidating the concept of the coincidental, even though they are the symptomatic signs that bring it to the surface.

So there, enjoy being in eirgmos aidios sempiternally! (Till you die obviously)
Reply 9
Original post by katbob

So you are into gangster I suppose ? :rolleyes: *getshismac11out*
Reply 10
Original post by katbob

Aww, heartwarming to see the concern :smile:

Don't fret, OP. At least you're intelligent and miserable instead of dumb and happy. We all suffer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I feel exactly the same. Like, EXACTLY - people see me as outgoing, confident, intelligent, good life - generally happy. But in my mind things are far more complex and I don't even really understand it, so yeah I don't feel anyone, even a professional would.
I do have the tiniest bit of hope that someday I'll find someone who understands me, somewhat of a 'soulmate', I guess, but that's probably just daydreamy crap.
Reply 12
Original post by joker12345
I feel exactly the same. Like, EXACTLY - people see me as outgoing, confident, intelligent, good life - generally happy. But in my mind things are far more complex and I don't even really understand it, so yeah I don't feel anyone, even a professional would.
I do have the tiniest bit of hope that someday I'll find someone who understands me, somewhat of a 'soulmate', I guess, but that's probably just daydreamy crap.

this is so me...
Heck yes. But I prefer things that way.
Reply 14
Original post by ernstol
So you are into gangster I suppose ? :rolleyes: *getshismac11out*

Oh ffs. I don't even know wtf youre on about lol. That's the last time I help out a spoilt rich kid. :biggrin:
Reply 15
Original post by Ggmu!
Aww, heartwarming to see the concern :smile:

Don't fret, OP. At least you're intelligent and miserable instead of dumb and happy. We all suffer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ouch.. is someone getting all jealousypops dear? You can have some warm kisses and hugs too, ill phone your mum so she can give you some :biggrin: xxxx and heres a big O.

Yes OP don't fret at all. I offered some one time advice and help. But its okay... Im the one that's dumb and happy. Youre the one that's miserable. Enjoy life... buh bye.
Believe me, its worse to think you have found someone who understands, whose like you but you cant be with them. #mylife
oh yes. I know I come across completely different to the way other people see me but thats because of me and my actions,for example if I have a bad day I don't cry and share all my emotions for everyone to hear. If I feel ugly, I don't tell everyone in hope they will make me think other wise. How I am perceived is just a result of my actions...if you want people to see the real you then you have to start sharing the real you with the real world..personally I couldn't deal with people seeing the 'real' me because I feel I would come across vulnerable. I like the girl that everybody else sees,the one who has no emotion at all and doesn't really care about all the bad things in life and focuses on school and getting somewhere.
I think everyone says that :K:

For me, at school particularly, I felt very misunderstood by people because I was so shy. :sad: They thought I was rude, boring as hell, weird - I wasn't really as bad as they thought, I was just unbearably shy. :sad:
And my ugliness ... ever since I was 12, I've always felt pretty isolated from my peers because of my looks ... I was the runt of our school year and I never felt like I fitted in (or DESERVED to fit in) because of that. No one understood the struggles I went through, and still go through this very day, over my looks, not even my mother could understand, which was devastating. Anyways:moon:
Reply 19

A lot of 17 year old's with an angst against the world feels this. You would enjoy some of Albert Camus's work.

Quick Reply

Latest