The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

English at Exeter University - IGCSE Advice!

Hello!

I'm applying to study English at Exeter University however I have a few questions regarding my IGCSE results and whether they will spoil my chances of getting into Exeter as I know that the English course is very competitive.

To give you some background I was home educated between the ages of 11 - 16. Due to everything going on at the time (death of my Dad) I did very badly during my IGCSE's (three B's, one C and two E's).

Looking back I'm so disappointed and realise I should of channelled my emotions into my work rather than going off the rails so to speak. By some miracle I made it into a local college and have since managed to get an A, B and C in my A-Levels. I made the decision to retake my English A Level this year (B Grade) as I was only eight marks off getting an A and have also picked up a Creative Writing course at AS level.

My main concern with applying to Exeter is that my poor IGCSE results will instantly mean that I won't be considered by Exeter and thus I am wondering whether it would be better to retake my IGCSEs/GCSEs next year and apply for Exeter the following year. Any thoughts?

Apologies for the long post! Any advice is very much appreciated! :smile:

All the best,

PixieSmiles
I think it would be a good idea if you told Exeter about your extenuating circumstances. If you have already sent of your UCAS application, find someone who knows what you were going through and get them to submit a second reference via email to Exeter explaining your GCSEs. I did this (and I had much worse GCSE grades than you) and I got into every university I applied to. I think it is worth applying now, if they say no then you can redo your IGCSE.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Original post by Snufkin
I think it would be a good idea if you told Exeter about your extenuating circumstances. If you have already sent of your UCAS application, find someone who knows what you were going through and get them to submit a second reference via email to Exeter explaining your GCSEs. I did this (and I had much worse GCSE grades than you) and I got into every university I applied to. I think it is worth applying now, if they say no then you can redo your IGCSE.

I think that's really good advice.
Reply 3
Original post by PixieSmiles
Hello!

I'm applying to study English at Exeter University however I have a few questions regarding my IGCSE results and whether they will spoil my chances of getting into Exeter as I know that the English course is very competitive.

To give you some background I was home educated between the ages of 11 - 16. Due to everything going on at the time (death of my Dad) I did very badly during my IGCSE's (three B's, one C and two E's).

Looking back I'm so disappointed and realise I should of channelled my emotions into my work rather than going off the rails so to speak. By some miracle I made it into a local college and have since managed to get an A, B and C in my A-Levels. I made the decision to retake my English A Level this year (B Grade) as I was only eight marks off getting an A and have also picked up a Creative Writing course at AS level.

My main concern with applying to Exeter is that my poor IGCSE results will instantly mean that I won't be considered by Exeter and thus I am wondering whether it would be better to retake my IGCSEs/GCSEs next year and apply for Exeter the following year. Any thoughts?

Apologies for the long post! Any advice is very much appreciated! :smile:

All the best,

PixieSmiles

I sit possible to contact them directly now? Explain your thinking and ask their advice. You have your A levels so I can assume that they can talk through their admissions process for your circumstances.

Best of luck - give it a go ;-)
i don't think your igcse results are only problem. Your a level results don't match their offer range either. I think it unlikely even if you get an offer you will meet the necessary standards either. I suggest a phone call as said previously said to the admissions officer is vey good advice. There is a thread elsewhere here of people being offered A*A*A for English
Original post by swanseajack1
i don't think your igcse results are only problem. Your a level results don't match their offer range either. I think it unlikely even if you get an offer you will meet the necessary standards either. I suggest a phone call as said previously said to the admissions officer is vey good advice. There is a thread elsewhere here of people being offered A*A*A for English

That's a good point. The English BA at Exeter's Cornwall campus asks for lower grades so perhaps the OP is applying there?

Quick Reply

Latest