The Student Room Group

Extenuating Circumstances?

Okay so I'm currently doing AS , (Math, further, additional (9 modules), physics, chemistry and biology). My strong suit is math tbh, I could probably get above 80% on all of the modules. I want to do physics (and get a masters) in cambridge, although I'm still not sure about this Natural Sciences thing, does that include physics or what?
My biggest fall back would have to be my gcse's, I only have six, one of which is an igcse. [A* math, A* bio, A phys, A computer science, B chem, C english]. The thing is, two years ago I used to live in the emirates and went to a private school where we did the igcses, and my family moved to the uk just before I did my first five igcses. When we came here, none of the schools accepted me and they told me I should go to a college (I was sixteen). So I went there and got those horrible grades. So when I came back this year, everybody told me to move on to A levels instead of doing more gcse's, so that's what I did.
Okay so does this count as EC or not? If not, is there a chance I could get into cambridge with those extremely low gcses (english and chem) (assuming that I get A*s and As in AS)?
Reply 1
It's possible if you have appropriate evidence. You will need to get much higher than 80% in your AS modules to be in with a realistic chance though. If you are applying for Maths, I would consider dropping one of your other subjects to allow you more time to improve your Maths marks.
Reply 2
Check what they require for GCSE English. You might have to resit if u can?
Reply 3
Original post by gagafacea1
Okay so I'm currently doing AS , (Math, further, additional (9 modules), physics, chemistry and biology). My strong suit is math tbh, I could probably get above 80% on all of the modules. I want to do physics (and get a masters) in cambridge, although I'm still not sure about this Natural Sciences thing, does that include physics or what?

Cambridge doesn't offer a straight Physics degree - if that's what you want, then you're looking at the wrong university or course!

I suggest you take a look at the Natural Sciences course and see if the content is something you would enjoy studying for 3 years - you can certainly specialize in Physics in later years.

I would also suggest that you drop at least one of your subjects to ensure you get the highest possible grades in the remaining ones - with such weak GCSEs you're going to need very high AS results and predictions (and in any case, predictions of A*A*A at A level). More than 4 A levels is completely unnecessary, however!
Original post by davros

I would also suggest that you drop at least one of your subjects to ensure you get the highest possible grades in the remaining ones - with such weak GCSEs you're going to need very high AS results and predictions (and in any case, predictions of A*A*A at A level). More than 4 A levels is completely unnecessary, however!

Original post by Helenia
It's possible if you have appropriate evidence. You will need to get much higher than 80% in your AS modules to be in with a realistic chance though. If you are applying for Maths, I would consider dropping one of your other subjects to allow you more time to improve your Maths marks.

I totally understand where you guys are coming from, but really math isn't a problem, most of the stuff in it i've studied before. the only thing i'm worried about is the practical exams; in gcse, for all the science exams I got A and above, it's the coursework that pulled my grades down. Also my application would be really weak with only 4 AS, even if I got A*(90+) on all of them (which in my case isn't very doable in bio and chem); I have nothing else that sets me apart from other students applying, which i'm sure have a million things on their application.
I totally understand where you guys are coming from, but really math isn't a problem, most of the stuff in it i've studied before. the only thing i'm worried about is the practical exams; in gcse, for all the science exams I got A and above, it's the coursework that pulled my grades down. Also my application would be really weak with only 4 AS, even if I got A*(90+) on all of them (which in my case isn't very doable in bio and chem); I have nothing else that sets me apart from other students applying, which i'm sure have a million things on their application.

The university is only interested in you academic merit, which is why it is necessary to obtain the highest grades possible. They won't be interested in extracurricular activities unless related to your subject, or necessary (e.g. work experience for medicine), and even then they'll be a tiny part of your application, because grades will matter most.

If you're worried you won't do well, then you have to put the work in to do so. Realistically, you want at least 90% to apply with to have a decent chance, and obviously, the higher the better. The cut-off is about 88%, unless extenuating circumstances (at A-Level), but this varies annually, and people with this or lower get in every year, albeit much less often than someone with, say, 95%.
Reply 6
Just to emphasise, Cambridge has no formal GCSE requirements for any courses other than Medicine and Veterinary Medicine, where the only requirement is a passing grade in Maths and Science.

So, no matter what subject you apply for, you GCSEs should be absolutely fine. Just stay away from Oxford, as they are far more picky about GCSE grades.

Your focus needs to be 100% on achieving top grades and UMS scores at AS. Given that, you have a brilliant chance at getting into Cambridge. However, I would recommend you submit an extenuating circumstances form regardless, as there's nothing to lose there. They won't punish you for submitting something that "doesn't count" - it's entirely in the hands of the admissions tutors how to deal with the information and, more often than not, they will take it into account.
Reply 7

This is slightly concerning in my opinion.

You're saying you want to study NatSci at Cambridge, which is incredibly tough and deliberately broad in its first year, and yet you're not confident of getting high grades in (at least) two of your science subjects.

As I said before, if your interest is Physics only, be very sure that this is the right course for you, rather than a straight Physics degree at another university.

Alternatively, you might consider applying for the Maths Tripos, with the option to take the Physics paper as part of IA, given that you seem set on taking all the available Maths modules at A level,
Reply 8

I agree with Davros here (PRSOM) . The average NatSci applicant scores A*A*A* and only 10% had only A*AA. They will be looking for UMS above 90% average in each science or at least an overall average of comfortably above this figure. Chemistry is especially important.

They really are not interested in other stuff that sets you apart whether sports/music/head boy etc, or collecting A levels like scouts badges. What they want is very high UMS. Many NatSci applicants will have high UMS in five subjects.

If you are only reliably good at Maths Physics then go for that, or look at Oxford whose course is pure Physics.

ECF helps where there are reasons for poor exams but" I'm not good at one part of the subject" doesn't count.
A lot of what you guys said is really useful (and new to me). I always thought that cambridge wanted all the school reps and musical prodigies, so when I came to do my A levels, I wanted to be the only student in my college to do that many A levels, just to have a good chance at being accepted into a good university. I now realize the error of my ways that doesn't mean I'm dropping any AS, although I will drop biology in A2, since it's never been an interest of mine). I read more about this Natsci thing, and I think it's great, I really like the idea of trying new stuff like material sciences. So thank you all for your help.
A lot of what you guys said is really useful (and new to me). I always thought that cambridge wanted all the school reps and musical prodigies, so when I came to do my A levels, I wanted to be the only student in my college to do that many A levels, just to have a good chance at being accepted into a good university. I now realize the error of my ways that doesn't mean I'm dropping any AS, although I will drop biology in A2, since it's never been an interest of mine). I read more about this Natsci thing, and I think it's great, I really like the idea of trying new stuff like material sciences. So thank you all for your help.

There are a lot of misconceptions out there about Cambridge. There will be people who have 6 ASs, but unless you can get high UMS (>90%) in all of them then the extra workload is fairly pointless.

Quick Reply