The Student Room Group

Can physical attractiveness really change after getting to know someone?

I mean there's a few girls I didn't really fancy at first but once I talked to them & found out how their personality was ended up being attracted to them, but in hindsight I think they were fairly decent looking in the first place. There's a few other girls I've interacted with & even though I get on well with them I am still not attracted to them physically? Just wondering...
I think it can, if I met a good looking person who had a horrible personality overall I wouldn't find them very attractive.
Reply 2
See Barney Stinson's "Mermaid Theory" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mermaid_Theory
No.
This only works if the person in question already met you're very basic standards for physical attractiviness. Otherwise no, you'll forever be in the friend zone, no matter how awesome your personality is.
Yeah, definitely. I've had it before with a guy I wasn't attracted to. Once I got to know him and learned how lovely his personality was, I began to realise he has lovely eyes as well, a great smile, and he's actually quite good-looking. The same has happened the other way around, on more than one occasion, where I first thought someone was good-looking, and when I discovered that they're unpleasant people, I stopped finding them physically attractive.

Perhaps it's the case that when we like someone, we're more likely to notice all the good things about them, and when we dislike someone we're more likely to notice all the bad things. Though even if we see all the good things, it doesn't necessarily lead to attraction, as what is attractive is still subjective. There are nice people who I probably see in a favourable light physically as well, but there just isn't that spark, or whatever you want to call it. Which is a good thing, as it means I can be friends with them without all that awkwardness.
Reply 6
See Barney Stinson's "The Mermaid Theory"
Original post by AntisthenesDogger
No.

Original post by Multitalented me
I mean there's a few girls I didn't really fancy at first but once I talked to them & found out how their personality was ended up being attracted to them, but in hindsight I think they were fairly decent looking in the first place. There's a few other girls I've interacted with & even though I get on well with them I am still not attracted to them physically? Just wondering...

Yes.

My mum was at College, she said there was a model who everyone looked twice at then where was a girl with greasy hair, spots, trashy clothes, etc, not good-looking but had a great personality, at the end of the Year everyone wanted the personality girl and noone cared about the model
Reply 8
I have had that before, after getting to know someone I found them more and more physically attractive. Unfortunately after time, their physical flaws become more and more aparant.

My relationships where I have met a girl and straight away just thought WOW this girl is something amazing, and as if they put me under a magic spell, have been more serious.
Reply 9
Definitely I've missed opportunities with girls I really got on with because of my insecurities about their looks and ****. Lesson learned!
No, if you're fat then you're fat. The same thing if you're average looking.

Megan Fox is still hot no matter how "unattractive" her personality is.
The question is if physical attractiveness can change. No. Can your perception of that person change? Yes.
Yes it can 100%.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending